EoS Conference A chat 2018-19

10 hours ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

This has a Selkirk feel to it.

I'd say more a Fort William situation since there doesn't seem to be the debt aspect to Tweedmouth's circumstance. Limited local talent pool, playing against higher level opposition the majority of the time leading to large defeats. Apathy sets in and it can be a struggle to get teams together knowing they're on a hiding to nothing.

I'm sure if the can get a manager in, it'll resolve itself. The committee went to the bother of prepping a match programme for today's game. Which suggests to me the off field infrastructure is still invested in carrying on.

image.png.8431bbd4f9b022a46e6d12e1a5ee9f9e.png

The notice on the EoS website stating that the new manager is expected to do player recruitment is not a good sign as that would normally go without saying. I think that implies that players need to be recruited ASAP by whoever comes in just to be able to field a team for the remainder of the season:

https://www.eosfl.com/item.php?pg=news&pd=1002&it=220

... The successful applicant will take responsibility for appointment of their own coaching staff ( if required ) also player recruitment / coaching, plus organisation of training through the week. ...

Presumably all the players in and around Berwick who are any good are already signed with somebody else for this season, so this may be headed for the Kelso and Duns scenario.

22 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'd say more a Fort William situation since there doesn't seem to be the debt aspect to Tweedmouth's circumstance. Limited local talent pool, playing against higher level opposition the majority of the time leading to large defeats. Apathy sets in and it can be a struggle to get teams together knowing they're on a hiding to nothing.

I'm sure if the can get a manager in, it'll resolve itself. The committee went to the bother of prepping a match programme for today's game. Which suggests to me the off field infrastructure is still invested in carrying on.

image.png.8431bbd4f9b022a46e6d12e1a5ee9f9e.png

I was thinking more of the lack of players aspect of it. Selkirk struggled to attract players, and after a couple of pumpings it became impossible. Sounds familiar.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The notice on the EoS website stating that the new manager is expected to do player recruitment is not a good sign as that would normally go without saying. I think that implies that players need to be recruited ASAP by whoever comes in just to be able to field a team for the remainder of the season:

https://www.eosfl.com/item.php?pg=news&pd=1002&it=220

... The successful applicant will take responsibility for appointment of their own coaching staff ( if required ) also player recruitment / coaching, plus organisation of training through the week. ...

Presumably all the players in and around Berwick who are any good are already signed with somebody else for this season, so this may be headed for the Kelso and Duns scenario.

Isn't player recruitment something most managers do at this level anyway. Who they know, who they've played with or against. Its not like they've got a Director of Football or Head Scout.

1 minute ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

I was thinking more of the lack of players aspect of it. Selkirk struggled to attract players, and after a couple of pumpings it became impossible. Sounds familiar.

Well Fort William are struggling for players as well. Think they've had squads as low as 14 and have famously had to use a back up goalie in the outfield.

EDIT: Is it the September Weekend in the Borders as well? With no manager in place to corral the usual faces, the numbers have maybe dipped too low to get a squad together with folk off on holiday.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Yes that's why I wrote that it would normally go without saying and is a strange thing to include. Normally if you take over a team midseason you start with the players that are already there before doing a major revamp before the next season to get your own guys in, so the reason to mention it might be because a lot of the players have left with the previous manager as the HoB postponement suggests may be the case.

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Yes that's why I wrote that it would normally go without saying and is a strange thing to include. Normally if you take over a team midseason you start with the players that are already there before doing a major revamp before the next season to get your own guys in, so the reason to mention it might be because a lot of the players have left with the previous manager as the HoB postponement suggests may be the case.

Seems like that. Not ideal for the Haws hopefully they won't be out of pocket for a bus hire.

It's almost certainly not a Selkirk scenario. I don't imagine Tweedmouth pay players and off-field the club has recently been making improvements with the former Duns chairman (who drove their ground improvements) joining the committee, some preparatory works being done inside the ground, access to toilets introduced, a website launched and a programme started - indeed I see they had produced a programme for today, so obviously the player shortage also caught them by surprise.

Nevertheless failing to raise a team is a serious misdemeanour at this level, and accordingly rare: looking beyond Kelso + Selkirk folding, I can think of 2-3 examples in 10yrs+.

19 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Seems like that. Not ideal for the Haws hopefully they won't be out of pocket for a bus hire.

There is a league fund to compensate travel expenses accrued when a game is postponed at short notice, although this being a cancellation and the day before I guess it may not qualify. There was a case a few years ago where part of the punishment was a fine to compensate their opponent, IIRC.

Just came on to say similar. Wouldn’t be surprised.

That’s what I was alluding to as well, as opposed to financial issues.

Hopefully they can find the bodies they require to do the job but I don’t feel the outcome for this season looks all that promising given I’d imagine most of the talent pool in the local-ish area will already be signed up and registered with other teams.

Fingers crossed that they can get a pool of players to at least see this season through in the EOS even if it is a 12-0 pumping every week.

Just think Tweedmouth are between a rock and a hard place. Too good for the North Northumberland League where they started, clearly not good enough for the top level of EOS. Where else do they go? Northern Alliance? Not much point now the re-formed Spittal Rovers play in that league.

Club seems well run and suspect the weekend a blip. Can’t see any Selkirk comparison really.

Solid appointment for them - hoary old head of the local football scene who knows Border players and how to make teams harder to beat. Finds himself in a similar kind of situation to Hawick and Eyemouth in times past. Been co-managing with his brother at Greenlaw in Border Amateurs for the last 2 or 3 years but left in the closed season.

(That said - photo features the chairman of Duns when they folded welcoming the manager of Kelso when they folded. Not an omen I'm sure :lol:!).

While failing to play last week cannot be excused isn't something you want happening, it's positive to see them underway again, and going down 5-0 isn't anything like as bad as previous results v Bo'ness, Dunbar, HoB, etc.

Quick turnaround for Newtongrange who've swapped their midweek game with Leith to New Victoria Park and brought it forward to Tuesday night, so 2 games in 3 days for them, almost unheard of at this level.

Leith themselves come in off an 8-0 hammering at Penicuik yesterday. Tweedmouth visit Penicuik on Wednesday.

Edited by HibeeJibee