EoS Conference A chat 2018-19

Easthouses v Hawick, the first match in Conference A for both sides tonight. Any thoughts? What should we expect from Hawick after being relegated from the LL, and technically being the top seed along the pre-existing seniors in the league? Should they be expected to beat a team that was in the bottom half of the bottom division in the ERSJFA last season?

More importantly, 7.30pm kick off... they do have floodlights, then?

They do, installed shortly before they switched to Juniors.

Indeed bizarre as it sounds Hawick, even after tonight, will have played as many competitive league games under them as Easthouses - having been told to rearrange a game v Burntisland there, postponed in odd circumstances just before Lily switched grades, to avoid the Fifers having to take a longer trip midweek. Same for Burntisland who visited LTHV there last season. They've apparently rarely played under them in anger until now though there was a Fife & Lothians Cup tie v Bonnyrigg on a Friday last campaign, IIRC.

EDIT: Apparently this is their 4th competitive game under them in 5 seasons, the previous having been:
* Easthouses v Heriot-Watt Uni in King Cup (March 2015)
* Easthouses v Craigroyston in EOS Premier (May 2015)
* Easthouses v Bonnyrigg in Fife & Lothians Junior Cup (October 2017)

Very neat venue all round at Newbattle these days... New dressing rooms and pavilion inside the ground, floodlights, dinky grandstand and the hedging has grown up to properly enclose it all.

easthouses02.png

easthouses05.jpg

easthouses09.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

Ta for that info HJ, always interesting and appreciated.

Crowd of 92 and Easthouses lead 1-0 with a goal just before half time. The home side have had the better of it and would've been further ahead but for two good saves. Lily's big number 6 is the best player, cutting in from right midfield and causing problems. Nearly everything Easthouses have done has gone down the right.

I can't imagine a better ground for crowds up to 300 or so, the grass slope gives good elevated views without being too steep and the stand is excellent. IMG_20180822_192402155.jpgIMG_20180822_193008509_HDR.jpg

Finished 1-0 to Easthouses, Hawick came back into, especially after Lily's manager made the mistake of moving their best player out of midfield and stuck him up front. They peppered the goal late on and hit the bar, but no joy.

Main lesson for me, having not brought a jacket, is that summer is over.

Easthouses Lily 1-0 Hawick Royal Albert

Newbattle Complex - not a psychological condition - was looking resplendent and also boasts green mesh along the railings, a tannoy and new 'warpaint' with the signage renewed to now say "Easthouses Lily MWFC", plus the EOSFA & FL logos. There was a good crowd in - including bairns and committee I'd actually made it 102 around the hour mark - and a pretty sunset over the Pentlands for this game played by devils candles. Over the 90 min Easthouses perhaps deserved a narrow win but Hawick should actually have levelled then won it late on: missing a sitter, screwing 2 good chances wide, hitting the bar from long range and having a header from a corner cleared off the line.

Game "ebbed & flowed" with Hawick on-top early on, missing 2 opportunities after springing Lily's offside trap; then an end-to-end spell; but Easthouses took a tightening grip approaching HT, hit the side netting and forced a good snap save. They took the lead just before the break when a cut-back from the right was clipped in from close range. Second half it was the homesters dominating until the hour, forcing the odd routine stop, but after another patch of to & fro the game finished with Albert camped in the final third almost to the close - however to no avail. In a particularly open conference for top 5 places, on the night they lacked just a touch of quality, strength and composure over the duration compared to their hosts.

Edited by HibeeJibee

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Very neat venue all round at Newbattle these days... New dressing rooms and pavilion inside the ground, floodlights, dinky grandstand and the hedging has grown up to properly enclose it all.

easthouses02.png

easthouses05.jpg

easthouses09.png

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

Ta for that info HJ, always interesting and appreciated.

I can't imagine a better ground for crowds up to 300 or so, the grass slope gives good elevated views without being too steep and the stand is excellent. IMG_20180822_192402155.jpgIMG_20180822_193008509_HDR.jpg

Amazing what you can do wi cooncil hand oots :(

There was a good crowd in - including bairns and committee I'd actually made it 102 around the hour mark

Ah, I took my count after about 40 minutes. Yours will likely be more relevant - do you want to tell the attendance numbers dude or shall I?

10 hours ago, Thewhitepele said:

emoji1596.png

46 minutes ago, Jambob said:

It’s called being smart and using the resources available

Whooooosh too easy :lol:

Least yer sheltered from that howling wind now. 

Fair play Midlothian cooncil have done a lot wi their fitba teams over the past few years :thumsup2

Edited by newcastle broon

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 16-0 Tweedmouth Rangers today equals the known East of Scotland League record (Vale of Leithen 16-0 Eyemouth in 1976-77).

It also equals the known all-competition record (Hawick 0-16 Leith in 2010-11 EOS League Cup).

Known all-competition record before EOSL's foundation is Broxburn 23-0 Uphall in 1888-89 King Cup.

Selkirk lost 20-0 at league club Stirling Albion in 1984-85 Scottish Cup.

Note: there is a claimed score of Selkirk 24-2 Spartans in 1955-56 but I've never seen it substantiated, it isn't mentioned in Selkirk's centenary history, and both finished close to each other in mid-table.

• 2 weeks later...

Good win for The Burgh yesterday.  Looking forward to a run of league games once we get through the cup ties to see how we're measuring up against Conference A opponents and get a few more games under our belt.  Thouroughly enjoying the EoSL so far though, games can't come quick enough at the moment.  

• 2 weeks later...