Alex Jack Cup 2018-19

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Is it just bad luck that already Dundonald then now Haddington + Bo'ness have fallen foul of the rules... or was this sort of situation happening regularly in the Juniors too?

I'd say that's it either incompetence or they've not got used to the SFA system. The ERSJFA system is a single page for them to check rather than a weekly PDF. Hopefully all clubs in the league take note and have a procedure in place to check these things before each match.

Plus I think Dundonald and Bo'ness have both released statements to deflect from their own failure to do a ctrl + F of the player's registration number - I don't blame them, both have missed out on good cup ties. Haddington's secretary has posted on their facebook page to say he takes responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I'd say that's it either incompetence or they've not got used to the SFA system. The ERSJFA system is a single page for them to check rather than a weekly PDF. Hopefully all clubs in the league take note and have a procedure in place to check these things before each match.

Plus I think Dundonald and Bo'ness have both released statements to deflect from their own failure to do a ctrl + F of the player's registration number - I don't blame them, both have missed out on good cup ties. Haddington's secretary posted a comment on the EOS facebook page to say he takes responsibility.

Good point, all the other clubs have managed the system.  Very good of Haddington chap to hold his hands up.

Dignified statement by Haddington's secretary.

Double-whammy to them: had they not fielded banned players they'd be in this season's final - having done so they're out of next season's cup.

Many of you reading this will by now be aware the East Of Scotland Football Assocation have taken the decision to debar the club from next season’s Alex Jack Cup, following an infringement of competition rules in last Saturday’s Millfield semi-final against Bo’ness United, which our visitors won with an injury time winner which took them through to the final, in which they were due to play Camelon Juniors on Sunday 25 November. It’s subsequently come to light that a significant administrative blunder on my part resulted in our fielding two ineligible players – Ali Simpson and Shaun Hill ought to have sat the tie out through suspension.

It transpired also that our opponents too had been guilty of a similar offence, in that second half substitute Craig Comrie ought not to have played. The management committee of the East Of Scotland Football Association having discussed the matter also took the decision to expel Bo’ness from this season’s completion, effectively declaring Camelon the winners of the competition.

There’s inevitably been much online speculation and discussion already this morning following the Association’s announcement of the news, in the interests of transparency I’d like to make clear the background.

In the Bo’ness case, Craig Comrie was newly registered to play for them following his recent return from a spell overseas – he ought not to have featured on Saturday however, on the grounds he’d incurred a two game ban while playing for Sauchie Juniors last season. That suspension not having been served, he wasn’t eligible to play for Bo’ness – it’s assumed an administrative oversight on the part of their secretary resulted in the unfortunate situation they now have to contend with.

Our errors, from the viewpoint of now, appear inexplicable – as the guilty party I can only offer my sincere apologies to all affected by my errors, which must be put down to sheer inattention.

It’s been stated in some quarters this season that the transition from Junior football to the new environment of the East Of Scotland League has caused clubs administrative confusion, given the different disciplinary system we now must adhere to – I’m afraid that’s not remotely an excuse I’d care to fall back on, as it’s simply not reasonable to do so. Individual clubs’ and players’ disciplinary records are clearly detailed on the SFA’s extranet, and unfortunately there’s really no reasonable explanation behind my failing to adhere to expectations. It might be easier to explain how this has happened if there were mitigating factors but ultimately my brain simply didn’t process the information available to me in plain sight. It’s a painful lesson for myself and the club, not without considerable embarrassment.

There was absolutely no intention on anyone’s part to gain any advantage by fielding ineligible players – to have done so intentionally would be beyond reproach, and incredibly stupid given there are systems in place which highlight breaches of regulations.

Not much more can be said on what’s immediately an infamous episode. I’m not the first to be guilty of an administrative error in Scottish football and I won’t be the last. We move forward now with the rest of our season and look to put this incident behind us.

I find it overly harsh that Haddington are debarred from next seasons competition given it's a genuine error, it serves no good purpose. Hopefully the Hi Hi get Licenced making the punishment immaterial.

Were they more harshly treated for protesting?

47 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I find it overly harsh that Haddington are debarred from next seasons competition given it's a genuine error, it serves no good purpose. Hopefully the Hi Hi get Licenced making the punishment immaterial.

The way I see it both clubs have been expelled from one competition each - Bo'ness from this seasons and Haddington from next seasons, it would have been pointless chucking Haddington out of this seasons one as they had lost the semi final.

3 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

The way I see it both clubs have been expelled from one competition each - Bo'ness from this seasons and Haddington from next seasons, it would have been pointless chucking Haddington out of this seasons one as they had lost the semi final.

Haddington's punishment is not being re-instated to the competition and playing Camelon in the Final, otherwise IMO a censure would be appropriate.

Haddington's punishment is not being re-instated to the competition and playing Camelon in the Final, otherwise IMO a censure would be appropriate.

Haddington played 2 ineligible players Bo’ness played 1 I do not understand your logic both clubs broke the rules and given that Dundonald have been punished for a similar offence. The EOS applied their rules fairly.

1 minute ago, Vollyman said:

Haddington played 2 ineligible players Bo’ness played 1 I do not understand your logic both clubs broke the rules and given that Dundonald have been punished for a similar offence. The EOS applied their rules fairly.

Bo'ness chucked out, Haddington refused re-instatement  and trophy handed to Camelon.

Both clubs punished.  Again I see no benefit to additonally banning Haddington next season, although as I said its probably immaterial anyway.

Archived