Things to teach the grandkids

16 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

As a proud grandfather to two boys aged 5 & 6 and a girl aged 3, I take my responsibilities seriously and ensure they get taught the correct things in life. This is to counteract all the inclusivity shite and non-gender specific role-modelling they get fed at playgroups and school. 

So far my proudest moment was when the headmistress cornered the parents and told them to stop telling the boys that "Ladies are terrible drivers".

Whilst their parents buy the kids ironing boards and toy hoovers, I buy them drum kits, toy guns and crossbows whilst telling them cleaning, cooking etc is "Women's work". This doesn't go down too well with the daughter in law. 

Obviously they have Falkirk strips and they've been to games where they learned "lots" of new words.

Any other gems of wisdom I should be passing on?

Do any other P&Bers have grandkids?

No grandkids yet.

I can see why you might take issue with boys being encouraged to do "girly" things.  

On the other hand, it sounds like you are trying to mould them according to your specific and outdated ideals and being disrespectful to their parents in the process. 

If you honestly believe that housework is women's work then you probably best keep that to yourself. Makes you sound like a bit of a misogynist old fanny.

Not all women are terrible drivers, but they are all terrible at parking. 

I wonder how you would react if one of your grandsons grows up to be gay? or is stopping that what all this is about?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

sorry, I'll teach mine that africans are workshy and not to trust the Jews.

That should be a laugh.

Oh no, I could never tell them to vote Labour. You took that too far mate.

13 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Don't fancy being a father but reckon being a grandfather would be a blast. Any ideas how I could do skip fatherhood and drive straight into grandfatherhood?

Start by going to a nightclub in Dundee.

4 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I’ve got a 4 year old grandson & have already taught him many things- manners, how to tell left & right, shoelace tying, smoking, how to write his ABC’s.

Road safety just now with two of them is the priority 

20 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I’ve got a 4 year old grandson & have already taught him many things- manners, how to tell left & right, shoelace tying, smoking, how to write his ABC’s.

more unacceptable use of language.

11 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Just start shagging a granny.

Try to be a little more specific.  :unsure:

FWIW becoming a grandfather 6 years ago is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

I have absolutely no problems acknowledging that.

Try to be a little more specific.  :unsure:

FWIW becoming a grandfather 6 years ago is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
I have absolutely no problems acknowledging that.

What an admirable statement!*

*You must be gutted that your grandchildren hate you. [emoji3]

1 minute ago, Brother Blades said:

What an admirable statement!*

*You must be gutted that your grandchildren* hate you. emoji3.png

*I only have one, though I also inherited one.

My granddaughter is too young to hate me, maybe that will change as she’s gets older.

I imagine kids reserve their strongest negative feeling for their parents rather than their grandparents so I live in hope.

Joking aside, being a grandad has brought out a loving, caring side of me that I never knew existed.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Joking aside, being a grandad has brought out a loving, caring side of me that I never knew existed.

Although I don’t have the energy levels I had as a dad, I’ve learnt toleration and patience, the grandkids get away with far more than my kids ever did, something my  two sons always bring up 

4 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Although I don’t have the energy levels I had as a dad, I’ve learnt toleration and patience, the grandkids get away with far more than my kids ever did, something my  two sons always bring up 

The role of a grandparent is different from that of a parent.  You can’t undermine their parents but you have a different approach.

My granddaughter no longer accepts that I had a pet dinosaur when I was a kid, but she’s still not sure about my claim that I went to school with Santa Claus.

21 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

@Jacksgrandais absolutely yer man for this.  Absolutely top bloke and top grandfather to many.  No idea how he does it.

Maybe because my crew are still in their mid-late teens but I have no desire to be a grandfather.  I love(d) parenting but I have had my fill of shitey nappies and weans who can't use a knife and fork and have no desire to deal with either any time soon.

I know where you're coming from, I've no wish to do the whole grandparent thing but I'll do my 'duty' when it happens. As I said earlier, they'll most likely be living abroad (daughter and boyfriend do now). My brother in law and his missus have a four year old (and as of a couple of days ago a very premature new one) and thankfully the four year old isn't arsed about her aunt and uncle, which works for the aunt and uncle too. 

I might have to go all NewBornBairn on the grandweans, they'll have an atheist vegan mum and a nominally Muslim dad* so there could be an interesting mix of values for me to have fun with.

*Happy to bevvy and live in sin and all the fun stuff but doesn't eat pork. Each to their own and all that. :thumsup2

Archived