Irn-Bru Cup

Baxter's Nutmeg

Just read that new format now requires the 3rd and 4th place teams in the LL to play off get into the 1st round proper, in order to accommodate 2 English teams.

In my opinion this is an absolute joke, teams worked under the assumption all season that 3rd and 4th would get in, and now they spring this without any consultation.

A boot in the stones for lower league football.

Is this the same for the 3rd and 4th places HL teams I take it.

What sponsorship money to the losing team get it they miss out on the set round.

Not the best

40 minutes ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

Just read that new format now requires the 3rd and 4th place teams in the LL to play off get into the 1st round proper, in order to accommodate 2 English teams.

In my opinion this is an absolute joke, teams worked under the assumption all season that 3rd and 4th would get in, and now they spring this without any consultation.

Edit: Just saw the post above. This is utterly mental. I wouldn't have been opposed to extending Irish, Welsh and Norther Irish involvement, at least it is the top of their leagues. Picking clubs from the English 5th tier is nuts.

Exceedingly disappointing that half the Scottish non-league entrants will have to play-off in order to make way for 2 clubs from English non-league football to join at R2. Leaves a bad taste.

'B' teams or foreign teams should be punted before actual Scottish clubs.

Failing that they should just have made it top 3 so clubs weren't messed about. Will be weird if 4th eliminates 3rd.

The worst thing about this - what is the draw of the teams from England? What appeal does it have to play them? At least, as pointed out above, the Welsh and N. Irish teams are top tier, it's an interesting prospect to see your team play them. Fifth tier English teams against forth tier Scottish teams sounds like a pre-season friendly

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Exceedingly disappointing that half the Scottish non-league entrants will have to play-off in order to make way for 2 clubs from English non-league football to join at R2. Leaves a bad taste.

'B' teams or foreign teams should be punted before actual Scottish clubs.

Failing that they should just have made it top 3 so clubs weren't messed about. Will be weird if 4th eliminates 3rd.

at least they are giving the 4th team a chance. better if it had been team 1 in betfred and 2-4 on irn bru and no preliminary????

4 hours ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

Completely agree Baxter. Surely the SFA should be having a word with these clowns. This not only devalues the HL & LL but the whole football pyramid. 

The cup is complete nonsense.  Get rid of the U20s and the clubs from the rest of the UK/Ireland.  Go back to it being Scottish first teams only.  Bring in more LL/HL teams instead if they want to have a higher number.  

The cup has turned into a joke.  English fifth tier teams?  Seriously?  

Presume that the Shire v BSC will take place at Alloa on 31/7 or  1/8.  Given that this fixture is now known do we really need to wait of the Cup draw at the end of the month before it is formally announced?

Said this on twitter earlier. I’m not against adding the English sides to have every other UK&I nation represented, but this preliminary round is a joke. Should be the 4 weakest U20s playing off to gain entry.

Like it or not the cup (and U20s) are here to stay. The format of the tourney needs to be improved.

Worst thing is that Sutton and Boreham Wood will hardly take this seriously anyway. Both have 46 league games, 2 cup tournaments with replays and a county cup. They will likely be involved in another promotion/play-off push as well. Would they then really send a full strength squad up to play Peterhead away for example?

If I were a fan of either side, I'd know where my priorities would lie!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

How can you play all season to qualify for a cup place, only to have a play off the FOLLOWING season to qualify for that SAME cup place that you've already qualified for? 

Both sides could have completely different squads to the sides which originally qualified.....but didn't. 

10 hours ago, Dead said:

Presume that the Shire v BSC will take place at Alloa on 31/7 or  1/8.  Given that this fixture is now known do we really need to wait of the Cup draw at the end of the month before it is formally announced?

I'd have assumed it would be Shire vs Inverurie? Really poor from the SPFL, but I'd encourage every Shire fan to make that trip up if that's how it pans out. Last year up at Inverurie for the Cove Rangers game was possibly my favourite ever Falkirk away day. 

I would love that if that's the way it works out!  Been ages since I have been to Inverurie' s ground.

Alloa or Inverurie? Mmmh, I know what I would choose

6 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

I'd have assumed it would be Shire vs Inverurie? Really poor from the SPFL, but I'd encourage every Shire fan to make that trip up if that's how it pans out. Last year up at Inverurie for the Cove Rangers game was possibly my favourite ever Falkirk away day. 

It’s definitely BSC v Shire at Alloa.

Talking as a Shire fan, the first league games will be on Sat/Sun 28/29th July. Perhaps our game will be postponed, along with BSC's, to play this game?

For what it's worth, the Falkirk stadium will be getting used for the Little Mix concert on Fri 27th July...

45 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Talking as a Shire fan, the first league games will be on Sat/Sun 28/29th July. Perhaps our game will be postponed, along with BSC's, to play this game?

For what it's worth, the Falkirk stadium will be getting used for the Little Mix concert on Fri 27th July...

I wouldn't have thought so 're postponing a league game on 28th Jul.

You do little you Falkirk Stadium concert, 1st Ton Jones and now Little Mix! I thought you liked extreme music ? Maybe little mix is extreme!

How can you play all season to qualify for a cup place, only to have a play off the FOLLOWING season to qualify for that SAME cup place that you've already qualified for? 
Both sides could have completely different squads to the sides which originally qualified.....but didn't. 

It's fair to keep it 3rd v 4th if they both thought they were going to be in it. Just think of it as round 1, or a qualifying round.

Archived