EoS Conference C chat 2018-19

56 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Surprised there's not a whole thread about him tbh. He's been a shocking ref in the eos for a few seasons.
Sent off 4 Leith players the other week. The games he refs generally just become a farce.

Pitched up at Pennypit Park last night and glad I did as it was a pretty decent game with two teams of contrasting styles going at it hammer and tong to try and secure all three points. Blackburn like to keep possession and knock it about while Preston like, ahem, a more direct approach and it was Blackburn's early insistence on trying to play out from the back that, for me, ultimately cost them the game, losing two goals in the opening twenty minutes or so that were entirely avoidable if they'd just moved the ball forward quicker. The second Preston goal in particular was a shocker from a Blackburn point of view, a short pass out of defence holding up in the grass  -  wow, people complain about 3G surfaces but are content to watch a game played out on a surface that probably hasn't seen a lawnmower in weeks. Get along to Preston to see this before they do eventually cut it (but don't tell Brendan Rodgers or he's sure to hyperventilate!)  -  before eventually finding it's way to the right of the area where a decent enough shot was made into a great shot when a wicked deflection took it past the wrong footed 'keeper.

The real talking points, though, were all associated with the referee and his propensity to wave a yellow card at just about every Blackburn player that made a tackle  - although there was one he missed that really should've resulted in a booking, go figure! It was all quite unbelievable and , from my vantage point near the stand, had plenty of heads shaking as well as a vocal few of the travelling support going "radio rental". His sending-off of a Blackburn player for kicking a loose ball into his own dugout in frustration after being substituted was right up there with the most genuinely unnecessary decisions I think I've ever seen. The player didn't even kick the ball particularly forcefully and the only person in the entire ground to take exception to it was the referee, displaying a supercilious attitude that riled all concerned still further. Amazing stuff from the guy from start to finish in all honesty.

However, to be fair, I don't think any of his multitude of at least questionable decisions cost Blackburn the game - their own propensity for passing the ball around in defence on a surface that the long grasslands of the Serengeti would be proud to showcase did that.

For Burnieclub78 the attendance according to my headcount was 82, but he was probably there to count himself - I just hope he didn't get lost in the grass on the way out!!

Edited by 12 Angry Men

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Decent team, very much play the percentage game of hitting the ball long into space, probably why the grass is so long. I sound like the Celtic manager. They wont challenge the top teams but the will be a contender for a top 5 spot.

For me the biggest days following Lithgae Rose are the Scottish Cup ties, so I'm looking towards our game at Preston in the next round with trepidation. Rose's biggest problem has been at the back, the centre half pairing has looked very shaky and even old dependable Gary Thom has been having regular brain farts. In recent weeks we haven't been playing a holding midfielder, probably because we don't have anyone else fit, so the prospect of facing a team who play the ball over the top and get the defence turned is very concerning.

The only thing Rose do well at the moment is move the ball around in midfield, but that'll be tough on long grass.

No, I'm not getting a good feeling about this one at all. Rose lost in their first Scottish Cup tie last year in what was their worst performance in any match I saw that season and I fear we might see the same again.

Preston Athletic 4 Blackburn United 3
Old Junior rivalries renewed after a gap of 25 years and that was probably the last time the Pennypit pitch was cut. Preston opened the quicker and scored twice, pouncing on a poor clearance to smack in a 20 yarder, before another shot from the edge of the area took a wicked deflection to send the keeper the wrong way. Blackburn started to get to grips with the conditions and drew level on the half hour mark through Darren Downie, first a fantastic header from a cross, the second when he was left in acres of space on the penalty spot and deftly chipped the keeper. Blackburn were in the ascendancy but as so often happens got caught right on half time when a 25 yard free kick was blootered at the wall and once again took a massive deflection into the net.  3-2 HT.   Second half Blackburn took the game to Preston but it was the home side who increased the lead via their No.10 with a lovely run and shot for his hattrick, but still we came back and scored with 15 to go via a Scott Wright near post header from a corner. Preston were defending like their lives depended on it and a fantastic last ditch tackle denied Hutton a shot on goal until the final minute of injury time when a long throw in clearly struck the arm of a Preston player but we were never going to get a decision from Mr.Gall and he instead blew for the final whistle.
Ah Mr. Jonathan Gall. I generally don’t comment on referees performances due to lack of linesmen making their job even tougher, but last night he had no excuse as he had the aid of two linesmen. It was the worst performance I have seen for many a long year and even the Preston boys (and the goalie) knew of his reputation. In the second half in particular he took to booking any Blackburn player who made a tackle, and it was far from being a dirty game, he compounded matters when we made a substitution midway through the half. The player coming off was frustrated at being subbed or his performance or both, he gets into the dugout and kicks a ball against the back of it making a clatter and sits down, something you see almost every game, no problems, no drama. That sprung Mr.Gall into action as he had other ideas, he came over & called him out of the dugout, booked him and as it was the second yellow sent him off.  The guy was doing his best to cause a riot, an utterly idiotic decision on the back of already bad decisions.  Someone shouted he should be embarrassed to take his money for this performance, he shouted back arrogantly he had already been paid.   Apparently this guy is “up and coming”, well God help us if that is the standard of refereeing we are going to have to endure. Remember his name, I hope we never encounter him again.

Was clear to me that Preston was deserving winners, Blackburn resorted to the long ball whenever they could and it never worked, ref definitely had a shocker but it was for both teams not just one, cant argue any of the Blackburn bookings to be honest they were deserved

6 minutes ago, Kyle Smith said:

Was clear to me that Preston was deserving winners, Blackburn resorted to the long ball whenever they could and it never worked, ref definitely had a shocker but it was for both teams not just one, cant argue any of the Blackburn bookings to be honest they were deserved

Blackburn certainly didn’t revert to “long ball” that’s laughable, in fact passing it around too much cost us the first two goals until we got to grips with the pitch and our first two goals came from a cross from the right and a cross from the left, not punts down the middle that Preston often resorted to, we don't have a big lump of a No.9 target man (not that there’s anything wrong with that, a valid tactic), we hounded your left back all night.  As for deserving winners, I think a draw would have been a fair result but fair play to Preston for holding out second half and getting the three points.

As for the referee I’ve already said my piece as have others, six or seven Blackburn players were booked of which maybe one was justified, it wasn’t a dirty game and the sending off was just idiotic. Only two Preston players were booked for time wasting near the end.  From what I hear he causes havoc at a lot of games he's involved with.

Mr Gall is a bomb scare.

Last three matches he has sent off 10 players including a Manager 

Gala vs BSC - 4 players plus Manager

Nitten vs Leith - 5 players 

Preston vs Blackburn - 1 player.

The guy should never Ref adults again, he is a control freak and he is better sticking to his job as a BOUNCER. Tosser.

Mr Gall is a bomb scare.
Last three matches he has sent off 10 players including a Manager 
Gala vs BSC - 4 players plus Manager
Nitten vs Leith - 5 players 
Preston vs Blackburn - 1 player.
The guy should never Ref adults again, he is a control freak and he is better sticking to his job as a BOUNCER. Tosser.

Don’t know the guy and don’t think I’ve came across him yet. However I doubt you were at all 3 of these games? If you weren’t how can you form an opinion? Maybe the 10 reds were justifiable.

Burnieman’s match reports are always good and are usually quite objective. However I suspect saying only one out of seven bookings were correct is maybe pushing it. But at least he’s always there to provide an eye witness account.

As for calling the guy a ‘tosser’? Unless you know him personally it’s a bit bad taste to throw around personal insults. Would you be a ref?

13 hours ago, topsider said:

As for calling the guy a ‘tosser’? Unless you know him personally it’s a bit bad taste to throw around personal insults. Would you be a ref?

I wouldn't be a motoring journalist but I still retain the right to call Jeremy Clarkson a walloper. Same goes for refs. Fair play to them for doing the job but it doesn't stop them from being a walloper when they're being one.

Blackburn Utd 0 Craigroyston 2

It seems this season we're finding new ways of making life difficult for ourselves. 10 mins into the game and we concede a penalty and keeper is sent packing. 10 men and down 1-0. 1 becomes 2 through another bout of slackness at the back.

Second half despite being a man short, we throw the kitchen sink at Craigroyston. First 10 mins we hit post and bar, two last ditch tackles to save certain goals and the keeper is pulling off a couple of great saves. Somebody counted 13 clear cut chances but it wasnt going to be our day. Never seen the like before.

Credit to Craigroyston for holding on for the win.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

It seems this season we're finding new ways of making life difficult for ourselves. 10 mins into the game and we concede a penalty and keeper is sent packing. 10 men and down 1-0. 1 becomes 2 through another bout of slackness at the back.

Second half despite being a man short, we throw the kitchen sink at Craigroyston. First 10 mins we hit post and bar, two last ditch tackles to save certain goals and the keeper is pulling off a couple of great saves. Somebody counted 13 clear cut chances but it wasnt going to be our day. Never seen the like before.

who went off went sub goalie came on?

4 minutes ago, snowball said:

who went off went sub goalie came on?

Gavin King got sent off, and I dont have any complaints with the decision, Adam Sinnet came on who was our U19 keeper last season. Scott Wright was the unfortunate player who had to be subbed.

There’s been a few surprise results in the league so far. Be interesting to see how it’s shaping up by the end of Oct after a few more games have been played.

We will have been away to Camelon and Jeanfield by then and Home to Preston, craigroytson and Blackburn.

4 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Where’s Hamish when you need him :D

Stuart Burnside the Craigroyston keeper is having an outstanding season he seems to be the man of the match every week.  

• 1 month later...