Your Club's Manager, As A Player

Hard to compare a full back like Clarke with an out and out winger like McCann with a central defender like Levein with a hilding midfielder like Lennon !

Levein pre injury was so good that I used to wonder who I would rather have  - him or Butcher - bearing in mind Butcher was captain of Englend at the time.

Lennon was the best defensive midfielder I can remember seeing play in Scotland - ridiculously underrated even by Celtic fans who got audibly impatient with the pairing of him and Lambert and the lack of drive. Souness was better but not by the stage he was up here. 

McCann was very good on his day (unplayable in the 4-3 1996 LC final ) but inconsistent and not in the same bracket as Lennon or Levein

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I never said it was, good players tend to win stuff from time to time though.

Not quite. You can be a good player in a meh team. Good players tend to get a move to a good team - which means they then usually win something. A quick google says Defoe, Collymore, Les Ferdinand, Stuart Pearce, Matt Le Tissier won zip. Also Frank Worthington ? Joe Baker ? 

Hard to compare a full back like Clarke with an out and out winger like McCann with a central defender like Levein with a hilding midfielder like Lennon !
Levein pre injury was so good that I used to wonder who I would rather have  - him or Butcher - bearing in mind Butcher was captain of Englend at the time.
Lennon was the best defensive midfielder I can remember seeing play in Scotland - ridiculously underrated even by Celtic fans who got audibly impatient with the pairing of him and Lambert and the lack of drive. Souness was better but not by the stage he was up here. 
McCann was very good on his day (unplayable in the 4-3 1996 LC final ) but inconsistent and not in the same bracket as Lennon or Levein
although a fantastic player lennon was never close to the talent lambert was so it was unfortunate he played in scotland at the same time as him lwt alone the same team.

McCann wasnt inconsistent just injured. when McCann played he was head and shoulders above anyone else. dont think anyone can deny he should have and could have played at the very top and certainly should have more than 26 caps. also he scored that goal in the dee-fiant season [emoji7][emoji7]

22 minutes ago, ah-dee said:

although a fantastic player lennon was never close to the talent lambert was so it was unfortunate he played in scotland at the same time as him lwt alone the same team.

McCann wasnt inconsistent just injured. when McCann played he was head and shoulders above anyone else. dont think anyone can deny he should have and could have played at the very top and certainly should have more than 26 caps. also he scored that goal in the dee-fiant season emoji7.pngemoji7.png

Lambert maybe offered a little bit more going forward, but Lennon was immense defensively. I never saw a player make so many interceptions as Lennon and considering he just waddled around slowly it was all done by superb reading of the game. And he then always, always kept posession. Although he was combatative as a player, I don't recall him completely losing it like he has often done as amanager. Lambert got all the praise he deserved as a player, but I don't think Lennon did.

Not quite. You can be a good player in a meh team. Good players tend to get a move to a good team - which means they then usually win something. A quick google says Defoe, Collymore, Les Ferdinand, Stuart Pearce, Matt Le Tissier won zip. Also Frank Worthington ? Joe Baker ? 

None of these players have comparable careers nor as much talent as a player as Steve Clarke did.

Defoe - Too small

Collymore - Too interested in beating up women

Ferdinand - Too tall

Pearce - Lack of bottle at crucial moments

Le Tiss - Too lazy and played for a shite team.

Worthington was a bit before my time but was he not an alky? No idea who Joe Baker is other than he (I think) played for the perennial second tier club that is Hibs.

also he scored that goal in the dee-fiant season [emoji7][emoji7]

Here you have the entire Dundee argument and they cannot be objective in this discussion as a result. At least Kilmarnock fans can balance opinion on Clarke.

#TB4

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2018 at 18:43, Dindeleux said:

You seem to have recognized I am talking about McCann but then justified Levein.

Point out to me the trophies Neil McCann won outwith Rangers cheating and tell me about the european trophies he won at the same time.

"Rangers Cheating" doesn't detract from the quality of the players

The whole point of the "Rangers Cheating"argument is that Rangers had better players than they would otherwise have had.

• 3 weeks later...
Surely the appointment of Kenny Miller takes Livi up the table a bit in this sense...probably second or third
i always thought miller was over rated. he was very lucky to get as many scotland caps as he did as the national team had no competition for him. dont get me wrong the boy put in a shift that cant be denied.

• 1 year later...

See @Ludo*1 has bumped the Championship version of this.

What are folks current lists just now?

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Neil Lennon

3. Callum Davidson 

4. Gary Holt

5. Derek McInnes

6. Brian Rice

7. Stephen Robinson

8. Alex Dyer

9. Jim Goodwin

10. Jack Ross

11. Stuart Kettlewell

It feels pretty hard to judge those from McInnes downwards tbh.

Just now, YassinMoutaouakil said:

What sort of player was Dyer? Wiki has him with a ridiculously good goal scoring record in the English seaside leagues for a defender.

I've zero idea, I really struggled to judge those between 6-9.

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Neil Lennon

3. Derek McInnes 

4. Brian Rice

5. Gary Holt

6. Stephen Robinson

7.  Jim Goodwin

8. Jack Ross

9.  Alex Dyer

10.  Calum Davidson

11. Stuart Kettlewell

Fucking hell reading through this thread and the past few days, if you say anything untoward about Tommy Wright you've committed perjury in the eyes of some St Johnstone fans. The fat fucking grass deserved his original placing!

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Neil Lennon

3.  Gary Holt

4. Lee McCulloch (Since he's the temp manager)

5. Derek McInnes

6. Stephen Robinson

7. Calum Davidson

8. Brian Rice

9. Jim Goodwin

10. Alex Dyer (That's a total wikipedia placing)

11. Jack Ross

12. Stuart Kettlewell

Jeezo, the quality has fair decreased since last time!