Your Club's Manager, As A Player

Levein was a great player whose career was ruined by injury. He still managed a few caps and was in a World Cup Finals squad despite the injuries.

From that list, he was light years ahead of Canning and Stubbs, the other centre backs.

Stubbs had a great career for the ability he had. He was one of those centre backs that loves to spray passes about and build from the back which in this country the media used to get so excited about, which made people overlook the fact that he wasn't actually a very good defender.

Canning was a carthorse. 

Put the strengths of the two of them together but with a lot more ability in every aspect, and you are getting closer to Levein.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Even 7th is flattering to McInnes.  I know he played (sometimes) in a good Rangers team but he played as he manages - absolutely unremarkably.

As a player that's pretty accurate. He showed terrific promise as a key player in a terrific Morton team, but never really fulfilled it as a player. Wasn't he transferred around the same time as Brian Reid (who you could also class in a similar vein)? He was a decent midfielder, nothing more. Having said that, he's still been better than those beyond 7th, so there he stays. 

My list would be:

1. Gerrard

2. Lennon

3. McCann

4. Levein

5. Clarke

6. Stubbs

7. McInnes

8. Robinson

9. Wright

10. Rodgers

11. Canning

12. Martindale

Had a change of heart and updating my list:

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Neil Lennon (I'd have Neil McCann ahead personally, but I'm trying to be objective and Lennon had a much longer period of time at the 'top'.)

3. Neil McCann.

4. Craig Levein

5. Alan Stubbs

6.  Steve Clarke

7. Derek McInnes

8. Stephen Robinson

9. Martin Canning

10. Brendan Rodgers

11. Tommy Wright

12. David Martindale (Since Livi don't have a manager as of yet, he's being designated in this position as the highest ranked current member of staff).

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

As a player that's pretty accurate. He showed terrific promise as a key player in a terrific Morton team, but never really fulfilled it as a player. Wasn't he transferred around the same time as Brian Reid (who you could also class in a similar vein)? He was a decent midfielder, nothing more. Having said that, he's still been better than those beyond 7th, so there he stays. 

My list would be:

1. Gerrard

2. Lennon

3. McCann

4. Levein

5. Clarke

6. Stubbs

7. McInnes

8. Robinson

9. Wright

10. Rodgers

11. Canning

12. Martindale

If I mind right Reid had at least one serious injury after joining Rangers and never got a proper shot as a result.

On 6/8/2018 at 01:09, Ludo*1 said:

If we were to rate the league's managers 1-12 in order to best to worst, we'd have a fairly decent debate. However, I reckon if we judged them as players we'd see some more interesting results as the likes of Gerrard can't really be rated as a manager as of yet.

Here's my go:

1. Steven Gerrard

2. Neil Lennon (I'd have Neil McCann ahead personally, but I'm trying to be objective and Lennon had a much longer period of time at the 'top'.)

3. Neil McCann.

4. Steve Clarke

5. Craig Levein

6.  Alan Stubbs

7. Derek McInnes

8. Martin Canning

9.  Stephen Robinson

10.. Tommy Wright (I'll confess I didn't see much, but he seems like the Steve Harper of his generation consistently the number 2 or 3 wherever he went)

11. Brendan Rodgers

12. David Martindale (Since Livi don't have a manager as of yet, he's being designated in this position as the highest ranked current member of staff).

I expect this to be extremely subjective as I could see any from 2-6 being in any sort of order. This thread stems from a thread I made about 8 year ago in the First Division forum so seems apt to rejuvenate the debate now as we are in the extremely boring pre-pre-season period.

Neil McCann above SSC.

:lol::lol:

25 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Neil McCann above SSC.

:lol::lol:

As a player? Miles ahead. So was Levein. People think the 'if for injuries' chat means he wasn't as good as others. He was. The injuries just mean he never went further. Top teams were after Levein, he played in a world cup, 300+ games for Hearts, in good teams that went close but never quite done it, doesn't mean he was personally shite. 

He was quick, powerful, read the game well, was good on the ball. Literally everything you need to be a good centre half. Clarke played in an average Chelsea team when the gap between the leagues was much, much smaller.

2 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

As a player? Miles ahead. So was Levein. People think the 'if for injuries' chat means he wasn't as good as others. He was. The injuries just mean he never went further. Top teams were after Levein, he played in a world cup, 300+ games for Hearts, in good teams that went close but never quite done it, doesn't mean he was personally shite. 

He was quick, powerful, read the game well, was good on the ball. Literally everything you need to be a good centre half. Clarke played in an average Chelsea team when the gap between the leagues was much, much smaller.

You seem to have recognized I am talking about McCann but then justified Levein.

Point out to me the trophies Neil McCann won outwith Rangers cheating and tell me about the european trophies he won at the same time.

You seem to have recognized I am talking about McCann but then justified Levein.
Point out to me the trophies Neil McCann won outwith Rangers cheating and tell me about the european trophies he won at the same time.
McCann was outstanding not just for Rangers but Hearts and Dundee as well.

On his day he was simply unstoppable.

Steve Clarke was a journeyman in a pish Chelsea team.

Enough said.

Sent from my 9022X using Pie and Bovril mobile app

On 08/06/2018 at 08:58, ali_91 said:

What the f**k is a Martin Canning?

On 08/06/2018 at 15:05, ali_91 said:

Listen, no c**t is saying Tommy Wright is better than Levein, Stubbs or Lennon fs, but Martin fucking Canning.

@Ludo*1 put Dundee’s obsession with Sir Tommy to one side for a minute and get him above Canning ffs. 

On 08/06/2018 at 17:40, ali_91 said:

Ludo, sort the Canning thing out f**k sake.

In the words of one of the best lyricists of our generation, it’s not fair and I think you’re really mean. 

On 08/06/2018 at 19:40, ali_91 said:

Because it’s outrageous, mean and not fair. Martin Canning @Ludo*1,  #changethelist

On 09/06/2018 at 10:38, ali_91 said:

Obviously meant has won/did win nothing. Relax.

Back on topic, @Ludo*1 what’s happening mate? 

In the words of Kate Nash, what you being a dickhead for? 

On 09/06/2018 at 11:02, ali_91 said:

#repealthe8th

On 09/06/2018 at 14:33, ali_91 said:

#repealthe9th

486AF099-28F4-4CED-85DD-F0BD3265B8F8.jpeg

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:19, ICTChris said:

Surely Steve Clarke had a better playing career than Neil McCann?  He played for a St Mirren team who were pretty tidy in the 1980s and then had a decade at Chelsea, where he won domestic and European trophies.  McCann was a terrific player but suffered due to injuries.

Voted Chelsea's best ever right back too about a decade ago.

As if any more proof was needed about how utterly ratted folk are by the juggernaut, we've now got some trying to suggest that Neil McCann and Craig Levein were superior football players to Steve Clarke.

This is brilliant.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:32, Tony Wonder said:

The people disregarding Levein, did you actually see him play, or are you simply going on what people won?

If it was down to stuff won then perennial failure Levein would be bottom of the list with a grand total of f**k all throughout his 37 year career.

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:39, Tony Wonder said:

Clarke won the FA Cup, League Cup & Cup Winners Cup. All of them in the 90s when Man Utd were running riot down south.  He played in teams with Vialli, Zola,  Di Matteo, Lebeouf, Poyet, Babyaro, Le Saux etc, they weren't exactly a team of plodders.

If Clarke played in an average Chelsea side then f**k knows what that made the Hearts side Levein played the majority of his career in.  Managed 1 runners up medal the full time he was there.

Clarke managed more games at Chelsea than Levein did his full Hearts career and that's after playing over 200 times for a decent St Mirren side.