9 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Ffs are you an English teacher or something, my grammar not as good as yours obviously !

YOU yes YOU don't like BSC playing where they are (neither do i) at present but clubs shouldve objected back then. 

Is that too much to take in, now I've already said I have my sympathies with Bonnyrigg here and rightfully  they should appeal least get back on topic. 

Ok, ta. Maybe I was just being thick and not getting your point. 

I don't think it's remotely fair to say that clubs should have complained five years ago about other clubs who weren't in their league or even their association, because of what some fans say on here now. I suspect the officials of the club I support don't have any opinion on clubs like BSC, and even if they had done at the time, which is extremely unlikely, it would have been totally inappropriate for them to have raised it. That doesn't have any bearing on whether I can say that I don't like the rules that allow a club to play an hour from their community and I don't know why you would put the two things together.

7 hours ago, BS7 said:

And at the same time, its mind boggling that if half a dozen clubs in Midlothian want licences then half a dozen sets of floodlights have to be installed. These are community clubs - ground sharing would be the death of them.

If Penicuik, Newtongrange and Easthouses have lights why do Bonnyrigg, Dalkeith etc need them - its crazy to spend £50K a time on this when the money could be invested better.

But I suspect the SFA don't really have a grasp on financials at this level.

That's a good point. Would it really be a problem if clubs were allowed to nominate a designated alternative ground with lights within a certain distance, in the event that they needed them? This season Linlithgow Rose needed the lights once, IIRC, and that was for a Groundhop game. We used them to finish a couple of games but those could have kicked off earlier.

That's a good point. Would it really be a problem if clubs were allowed to nominate a designated alternative ground with lights within a certain distance, in the event that they needed them? This season Linlithgow Rose needed the lights once, IIRC, and that was for a Groundhop game. We used them to finish a couple of games but those could have kicked off earlier.
We also played Craigroyston under lights and to be fair if we'd had a season at all they would have come in handy with any fixture backlog. Ie if we had a season like Camelon or Bonnyrigg.

We also played Craigroyston under lights and to be fair if we'd had a season at all they would have come in handy with any fixture backlog. Ie if we had a season like Camelon or Bonnyrigg.

As you are aware we have had Floodlights for approximately 20 years.  In that time, we  played very few scheduled fixtures, so mainly used for friendlies, training, others organisations and towards the end later kick-offs.

The new floodlights cost approx £60k - so far we have benefitted twice with official mid-week fixtures so far (Hearts friendly).  

Not sure what the lifespan, maintenance and running costs are of these lights.  But if you base the lifespan on say 20 years - that equates to  approx £3,000  per year (£1000 per game on last seasons games).  

As with Bonnyrigg we don't regularly hire out our park/lights so these are prohibitive costs to most clubs who aren't routinely letting out their astro parks. 

Makes you wonder why so much importance placed upon clubs having them.

31 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

As you are aware we have had Floodlights for approximately 20 years.  In that time, we  played very few scheduled fixtures, so mainly used for friendlies, training, others organisations and towards the end later kick-offs.

The new floodlights cost approx £60k - so far we have benefitted twice with official mid-week fixtures so far (Hearts friendly).  

Not sure what the lifespan, maintenance and running costs are of these lights.  But if you base the lifespan on say 20 years - that equates to  approx £3,000  per year (£1000 per game on last seasons games).  

As with Bonnyrigg we don't regularly hire out our park/lights so these are prohibitive costs to most clubs who aren't routinely letting out their astro parks. 

Makes you wonder why so much importance placed upon clubs having them.

When you describe it as £1,000 a game, it really shows what a luxury they are. On an average attendance it's nearly £3 per person. I think they'll last more than 20 years, but it's still a whopping investment. If clubs could nominate a ground with lights in case they had a cup replay or a re-arranged match, that would keep costs down for clubs drawing fewer than a couple of hundred fans per match. Never gonna happen, of course.

I wonder if cup replays were an issue in the changes in the requirements, though. We've had midweek afternoon Scottish Cup matches at Beith and IIRC Lochee, which I'm sure the fans of SPFL clubs thought was ridiculous. That situation is incredibly rare though.

58 minutes ago, GordonS said:

When you describe it as £1,000 a game, it really shows what a luxury they are. On an average attendance it's nearly £3 per person. I think they'll last more than 20 years, but it's still a whopping investment. If clubs could nominate a ground with lights in case they had a cup replay or a re-arranged match, that would keep costs down for clubs drawing fewer than a couple of hundred fans per match. Never gonna happen, of course.

I wonder if cup replays were an issue in the changes in the requirements, though. We've had midweek afternoon Scottish Cup matches at Beith and IIRC Lochee, which I'm sure the fans of SPFL clubs thought was ridiculous. That situation is incredibly rare though.

The nominated ground is what the LL do just now. Unfortunately, it's the SFA that are making it mandatory for licensing.

1 hour ago, leftbehind said:

Bonnyrigg also had limited floodlights for training purposes many years ago and these were removed about 10 year ago with all the hardware,cables, junction and control boxes etc as part of the re-development of the ground.     so like Linlithgow its start from scratch.

Exactly - in real terms the overall benefit to yourselves is neglible.   The only occasion where the requirement is justified is in case of replays in the Scottish Cup.  We played Wick home and away under lights.  If that game had been Wick v Bonnyrigg the replay at NDP would have required to in an afternoon - which would have been a disaster.

At our current levels the only real benefit I can see for lights is - training or hiring out your park if you have an astro pitch

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The nominated ground is what the LL do just now. Unfortunately, it's the SFA that are making it mandatory for licensing.

The LL and HL the SFA flagship leagues for the Pyramid. 

Yet the SFA are penalising ambitious clubs whilst ignoring the fact the LL use a nominated ground rule because clubs don't comply with current licensing regulations.  Clubs who have been in the LL since it started.

Even the sfa disciplinary dept can’t get things right.

Robbie Horn’s dismissal last Saturday at Broxburn has the competition as Lowland Football League Cup!!!!

Another example of the nymphomaniac management from the sfa. (I.e. one cock up after another)

If a Football Club make an admin error they are absolutely hammered for it. There are many examples over the seasons.

C’mon the Rose

Edited by bravehearts dad
Addition of a sentence

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I didn't know that. I'll bet Maxwell et all don't know it either.

Just now, GordonS said:

I didn't know that. I'll bet Maxwell et all don't know it either.

It was never needed that often either. However, at the start of this season they made midweek kick offs fixed to some time after 7pm (7.15, 7.30 or 7.45 can't remember which one).

You could see that as nudging clubs in the direction of getting their own lights.

Just a point on Scottish Cup replays: up to and including R3 any second attempt at a tie (whether a replay or due to a postponement) takes place the following Saturday. Only if a tie requires a third attempt does it go midweek.

It is only after Scottish Premiership clubs join at R4 that second attempts go straight to midweek.

EDIT: Since the cup was reorganised in 2007-08 there have only been ties 4 played on midweek afternoons, so on average 1 every 3 seasons. They are Lochee v Ayr Utd and Dalbeatttie v Forres (both 2008-09); Girvan v Golspie and Beith v Airdrie (both 2010-11); so it hasn't actually happened for 8 years now. Also half of those were at qualifiers as opposed to member clubs.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 09/05/2019 at 20:01, Burnie_man said:

Political affiliations should be left aside and every MSP should be backing this, every one of them will have a football club in their area, and it's about time the SFA were investigated by the Govt over their competency to oversee our game.

Piss the SFA off.and they will come back with some other ground criteria.ie,seating amount of cover for spectators and pitch gradients etc.

Piss the SFA off.and they will come back with some other ground criteria.ie,seating amount of cover for spectators and pitch gradients etc.
Which would affect many current full members as well. Hopefully this issue is taken up by MSP's and they start taking a closer look at the SFA, its long overdue.

8 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

There’s already a maximum pitch gradient in club licensing. At Bronze level there is a maximum, entry level is best practice. 

3 hours ago, pipedreamer said:

There’s already a maximum pitch gradient in club licensing. At Bronze level there is a maximum, entry level is best practice. 

That's how it was for floodlights, too. I fully expect the SFA to extend the gradient requirement to entry level 16 hours before Bonnyrigg's next audit.