Linlithgow Rose 18/19

I missed the first 20-odd minutes, came in at 2-1. From that point at least, it was another transition season mis-match. Barbour, Ruari and Ronald provided a very good spine going forward, Smith was busy and we always looked like scoring. A few too many 2v2s, 3v3s, 4v4s at the back that Edinburgh Utd failed to exploit but better teams would. Some of the forward play was a joy to watch and Ronald's goal for 5-1 was excellent. Great shift from Batchelor too.

The pitch was about as good as possible after midweek and much better than I thought it could be, it was flat and the bounce was true with few bobbles, though it unavoidably cut up even more as the match went on. Both sides did well not to resort to long balls.

Crowd about 250? 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I missed the first 20-odd minutes, came in at 2-1. From that point at least, it was another transition season mis-match. Barbour, Ruari and Ronald provided a very good spine going forward, Smith was busy and we always looked like scoring. A few too many 2v2s, 3v3s, 4v4s at the back that Edinburgh Utd failed to exploit but better teams would. Some of the forward play was a joy to watch and Ronald's goal for 5-1 was excellent. Great shift from Batchelor too.

The pitch was about as good as possible after midweek and much better than I thought it could be, it was flat and the bounce was true with few bobbles, though it unavoidably cut up even more as the match went on. Both sides did well not to resort to long balls.

Crowd about 250? 

You're getting good at this!  256 from the headcount. 

53 minutes ago, HTG said:

You're getting good at this!  256 from the headcount. 

^_^ I guessed about 150 round the terracing, 50 in the stand and 50 under it.

While I'm here, another stupid question I've often wondered about - why do we shoot towards the Academy end in second halves? Home ends are usually towards the middle of a town so it feels like it's the wrong way.

[emoji5] I guessed about 150 round the terracing, 50 in the stand and 50 under it.
While I'm here, another stupid question I've often wondered about - why do we shoot towards the Academy end in second halves? Home ends are usually towards the middle of a town so it feels like it's the wrong way.
You are not the only one to wonder about that.sure it was Danny that started the trend.i got told it is so the manager is closer to the strikers in the second half.we mostly always usually kicked to the club second half.its a bug bare for many.

Just now, lithgierose said:
47 minutes ago, GordonS said:
emoji5.png I guessed about 150 round the terracing, 50 in the stand and 50 under it.

You are not the only one to wonder about that.sure it was Danny that started the trend.i got told it is so the manager is closer to the strikers in the second half.we mostly always usually kicked to the club second half.its a bug bare for many.

Ta.

46 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's not a stupid question.  Is there a Rose policy of always choosing to kick a particular way or would a change in wind direction alter that?  Have we always, over the years, chosen the same direction?  Do away teams tend to choose direction or to kick-off?

I don't think it drastically changes anything but it's an interesting question.

9 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

It's not a stupid question.  Is there a Rose policy of always choosing to kick a particular way or would a change in wind direction alter that?  Have we always, over the years, chosen the same direction?  Do away teams tend to choose direction or to kick-off?

From memory we kicked towards the Academy in the first half and at the social club in the second half. Not sure when it changed or why. 

We always use to kick towards the club in 2nd half. As normally well populated by our support as that added pressure to opponents.

My thoughts was maybe something to do with sun glare??

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Crowd about 250? 

Can’t really argue with any of that Gordon Linlithgow, as expected, too strong for a young United side. Having said that I still can’t believe the referee didn’t give a penalty for the challenge in the box on Auriemma at 1-1. He felt the defender was stronger in situation but the forward had surely got in behind him. Don’t think it would have affected the result though. 

It was a great start for Edinburgh and frustrating for then to concede the penalty so soon after. It would have been interesting if they had managed to weather that storm. 

I timed the 2nd goal at 28 minutes so you missed the first half hour :P

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Can’t really argue with any of that Gordon Linlithgow, as expected, too strong for a young United side. Having said that I still can’t believe the referee didn’t give a penalty for the challenge in the box on Auriemma at 1-1. He felt the defender was stronger in situation but the forward had surely got in behind him. Don’t think it would have affected the result though. 

It was a great start for Edinburgh and frustrating for then to concede the penalty so soon after. It would have been interesting if they had managed to weather that storm. 

I timed the 2nd goal at 28 minutes so you missed the first half hour :P

Obliged, sir. Don't suppose you know when Rose's third was scored?

I never commented on Edinburgh Utd - they worked hard and defended their box pretty well. They kept Tommy Coyne unusually quiet and really limited the chances of the forwards. The problem for them was that they couldn't do that and disrupt the home side's midfield at the same time, so the supply of quality balls forward was irresistible. Even if Utd had scored more they'd surely have needed to score at least 4 to get a point today.  Earlier in the season when Rose were stuttering going forward they would have had a chance of getting something, but in Rose's current form they were really up against it. They'll have better days.

I haven't been to Utd's ground in about 10 years, I'd like to see their new pavilion.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

Obliged, sir. Don't suppose you know when Rose's third was scored?

I never commented on Edinburgh Utd - they worked hard and defended their box pretty well. They kept Tommy Coyne unusually quiet and really limited the chances of the forwards. The problem for them was that they couldn't do that and disrupt the home side's midfield at the same time, so the supply of quality balls forward was irresistible. Even if Utd had scored more they'd surely have needed to score at least 4 to get a point today.  Earlier in the season when Rose were stuttering going forward they would have had a chance of getting something, but in Rose's current form they were really up against it. They'll have better days.

I haven't been to Utd's ground in about 10 years, I'd like to see their new pavilion.

33 minutes for the 3rd goal Gordon. Good analysis ! The Rose were very slick on the ball in difficult conditions. The 3 United central defenders probably helped to deal with Coyne but maybe left things a wee bit short elsewhere. Agreed any penalty would just have delayed the inevitable. 

23rd February is the return fixture Paties Road is worth a visit :)

4 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

33 minutes for the 3rd goal Gordon. Good analysis ! The Rose were very slick on the ball in difficult conditions. The 3 United central defenders probably helped to deal with Coyne but maybe left things a wee bit short elsewhere. Agreed any penalty would just have delayed the inevitable. 

23rd February is the return fixture Paties Road is worth a visit :)

It's in the calendar - the joys of having an actual fixture list!

Paties road was one of my more favourite grounds. Played a few cup final there and always thought it was a good surface back then.

Fair shout to the Edinburgh dug out who were good value and engaged in banter in good humour.

6 hours ago, Specky said:

Paties road was one of my more favourite grounds. Played a few cup final there and always thought it was a good surface back then.

Fair shout to the Edinburgh dug out who were good value and engaged in banter in good humour.

Did their banter include praising the number 5 for hatcheting Ruari? 

No not quite but they did admit that it was cynical and I had to agree that in the same circumstances I may have looked to do something similar.

End of day we need to beat teams of that ability just now and we need to accept that they will be out to stop us by fair means or foul. It's part and parcel of being Linlithgow rose whatever grade we are in.