Linlithgow Rose 18/19

3 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Ref was decent but both linesman missed everything including their lift home 

People around me in the shed went apeshit at the ref over the first penalty, apparently because it was outside the box. Well yes, it was outside the box, because it was off the pitch. But the nearest bit of the pitch was the penalty box, so it's a penalty. Law 13. I thought all the bookings were right, and all the decisions not to book were right too. And his habit of getting the card out of the pocket early tended to defuse things. Not that he was rushing to dish out cards, just making it clear when he was dealing with things. A few on both sides were losing their discipline as the match went nuts late on, the players made it tough for the ref and I thought he handled them as well as he could have done. A referee actually having a bad game would have ended up sending someone off unnecessarily. 

I don't know if a handful of folk find it cathartic to take out the frustrations of their lives on the referee. All I can say is I wouldn't want to see them behind closed doors.

8 hours ago, Insideinfo said:

Sounds a cracking game.

Does the young lad not cover games anymore? Can't find many games from this season on you tube.

Someone else from Linlithgow must have filmed it (in what sounds like hurricane winds). Looks like the referee got most if not everything right in this video. One thing he might've got wrong was the kick-off at 4:25 - doesn't look like the ball was in play as it didn't "clearly move"!

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Law 13.

Technically it's law 12 - the crucial point being that the ball was still in play so an offence against an opponent even if outside the field of play means a free kick and therefore a penalty.

6 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Someone else from Linlithgow must have filmed it (in what sounds like hurricane winds). Looks like the referee got most if not everything right in this video. One thing he might've got wrong was the kick-off at 4:25 - doesn't look like the ball was in play as it didn't "clearly move"!

Technically it's law 12 - the crucial point being that the ball was still in play so an offence against an opponent even if outside the field of play means a free kick and therefore a penalty.

I wasn't convinced it should have stood either.   Did the Broxburn 10 possibly touch the ball - before the 2nd Broxburn man passes to the Rose player?  As several players are clearly in their opponents half.

Edited by Auld Heid

22 hours ago, GordonS said:

People around me in the shed went apeshit at the ref over the first penalty, apparently because it was outside the box. Well yes, it was outside the box, because it was off the pitch. But the nearest bit of the pitch was the penalty box, so it's a penalty. Law 13. I thought all the bookings were right, and all the decisions not to book were right too. And his habit of getting the card out of the pocket early tended to defuse things. Not that he was rushing to dish out cards, just making it clear when he was dealing with things. A few on both sides were losing their discipline as the match went nuts late on, the players made it tough for the ref and I thought he handled them as well as he could have done. A referee actually having a bad game would have ended up sending someone off unnecessarily. 

I don't know if a handful of folk find it cathartic to take out the frustrations of their lives on the referee. All I can say is I wouldn't want to see them behind closed doors.

Spot on assessment of the game I was watching.  Tried to let the play go when he could.  Only thing he missed was the Rose goal that wasn’t given.  I honestly thought it was in but the Linesman didn’t want to make the call.

5 hours ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Spot on assessment of the game I was watching.  Tried to let the play go when he could.  Only thing he missed was the Rose goal that wasn’t given.  I honestly thought it was in but the Linesman didn’t want to make the call.

In the second half we were in line with the edge of the penalty box at that end of the ground, on the rail beside the pitch, at the same side as the camera, and both of us were pretty sure the ball didn't cross the line. We thought it came off the feet or shins of the Broxburn player who was standing on the line (number 5?), so it couldn't have gone in. Could be wrong but watching the video, I'd stick with that.

The weather looked worse on the video than it felt at the time - it was surprisingly not too cold. Though only in Scotland would you see a spectator in shorts in weather like that. 

On 14/01/2019 at 01:04, Ginaro said:

Dammit, you're right, Law 12. I am ashamed.

You're right about that kick-off.

The quality of these videos gets better each time, so big thanks to the guy filming and editing them. Ben's videos weren't better than these when he started out. 

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

In the second half we were in line with the edge of the penalty box at that end of the ground, on the rail beside the pitch, at the same side as the camera, and both of us were pretty sure the ball didn't cross the line. We thought it came off the feet or shins of the Broxburn player who was standing on the line (number 5?), so it couldn't have gone in. Could be wrong but watching the video, I'd stick with that.

The weather looked worse on the video than it felt at the time - it was surprisingly not too cold. Though only in Scotland would you see a spectator in shorts in weather like that. 

Yes enjoyed the highlights - looked a cracker of a game which it was.  

11 hours ago, GordonS said:

Dammit, you're right, Law 12. I am ashamed.

You're right about that kick-off.

The quality of these videos gets better each time, so big thanks to the guy filming and editing them. Ben's videos weren't better than these when he started out. 

Surprised theirs no complaints on here about the Broxburn penalty. The Two Rose penalties were stone wallers but didn't look like the Rose boy touched him before he went down

1 hour ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

Surprised theirs no complaints on here about the Broxburn penalty. The Two Rose penalties were stone wallers but didn't look like the Rose boy touched him before he went down

so last week you moaned about rose fans "being bad winners" whilst displaying all the attributes of being a bad loser yourself.

This week you want rose fans to complain retrospectively about something we cant change, and thus become a bad loser like you? 

1 minute ago, GlamourBaws said:

so last week you moaned about rose fans "being bad winners" whilst displaying all the attributes of being a bad loser yourself.

This week you want rose fans to complain retrospectively about something we cant change, and thus become a bad loser like you? 

Im not a bad loser since you ignored the fact I conceded we deserved to lose the game. The Rose fans are bad winners and bad losers. You sir are just an arse

9 hours ago, Ann Dan Otherthing said:

If the cameraperson is reading, a wind muffler around the microphone would help (there will also be settings in camera that can reduce wind noise). You can get them from Amazon or juryrig something.

Its a £200 Panasonic out of argos,  does not take add  on mics etc 

Getting better all the time. I've said it before but the club should create a YouTube channel and charge for highlights (maybe make available for free after two/three weeks) and put a percentage in the cameramans pocket for the trouble too. If its successful then invest in some decent kit.

Getting better all the time. I've said it before but the club should create a YouTube channel and charge for highlights (maybe make available for free after two/three weeks) and put a percentage in the cameramans pocket for the trouble too. If its successful then invest in some decent kit.

While I understand saying charge for the highlights, I think the problems with doing that are that you eliminate the opposition’s supporters watching them as they probably won’t pay to view (which could be a sizeable part of the audience as is) and that people also won’t necessarily pay for something they’ve had for free for years.

I think Ben had the right idea with the JustGiving page for anyone who wanted to donate, I’ve done a similar thing at Penicuik this season.

Thats fair play but for me there's a lot of effort goes into it and I think you should be rewarded as well as the club. It doesn't have to be a big amount. But a quid/couple quid per use isn't unreasonable if you haven't made the game.
I see it more as an opportunity for the club as a platform to boost coverage to their sponsors.

Stick a welcome page of all the club sponsors that gets viewed every time someone watches.

Great coverage to supplement their boards.