Linlithgow Rose 18/19

4 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

From what I've seen of the rose this season. You are right a centre half or two. You need an injection of youth. Young hungry players that's why we have done so well this season.

I don't know the ages of the players but many have been around a long time. Anyone know where their dates of birth/ages can be found? Not on the LRFC website.

30 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

If you Google them usually if they played spfl they come up

Taking the ten most common outfield starters:

33 Colin Strickland

Kevin McKinlay

31 Tommy Coyne

Ruari MacLennan

29 Roddy MacLennan

Gary Thom

27 Iain Gray 

26 Ross Barbour

25 Owen Ronald

24 Kyle Turnbull

Six of them 29 or over, that's a wee bit on the older side. Average is 28.8, that's definitely an older team. The real danger is the two forwards, Coyne's still got goals in him but Coco's maybe not the guy to support him.

The others that feature regularly:

36 John Ovenstone

35 Robert Sloan

31 Blair Batchelor

26 Martyn Shields

25 Ross McKinnon

21 Darren Smith

Hmm.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Taking the ten most common outfield starters:

33 Colin Strickland

Kevin McKinlay

31 Tommy Coyne

Ruari MacLennan

29 Roddy MacLennan

Gary Thom

27 Iain Gray 

26 Ross Barbour

25 Owen Ronald

24 Kyle Turnbull

Six of them 29 or over, that's a wee bit on the older side. Average is 28.8, that's definitely an older team. The real danger is the two forwards, Coyne's still got goals in him but Coco's maybe not the guy to support him.

The others that feature regularly:

36 John Ovenstone

35 Robert Sloan

31 Blair Batchelor

26 Martyn Shields

25 Ross McKinnon

21 Darren Smith

Hmm.

And if what I heard on saturday.only five of current squad still in contract for next season.so who out of the older players do we keep and do we look East for replacements.if it's the LL next season.can the manager,whom I think is right for this league.step upto the LL.personally I would try for Tam courts.:whistle

This isn't an old team by any stretch and I don't think we need major surgery.

We need a keeper, a left back and a link up striker first and foremost. Then possibly a ball winning centre half.

If we get them we won't be far away.
What we needed was key players to do their jobs. At times our team played like strangers to each other

We also had to many players who regularly missed games - for one reason or another.

They didn't. They came from Clyde.

The point has already been made earlier but if Falkirk can't sustain a youth policy it is very difficult for a club such as us to.

Community clubs are great for access to football but in reality the majority of players will go on to be amateurs. The level of 19-21 year olds stepping up to an EoS Premier and LL level will be from Pro youth set ups from League 1 and above in my opinion.

There hasn't been one player step up from the Community Club to the Rose first team squad (except for emergencies) and I think that'll be the case for nearly every other side.

This was why the point was made that for an u20s to truly work and put pressure on the first team squad it needs to be loss making. Ie the players don't pay subs. And for that to be cost effective you need players at the level or the squad fringe and replacing two fringe players with the cost of running the u20s would be the goal. That would be a tight ship!

2 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

There hasn't been one player step up from the Community Club to the Rose first team squad (except for emergencies) and I think that'll be the case for nearly every other side.

Nope.

Would be interesting to know what EoS Premier teams are moving lads from the CC to the first team squad over the summer. I think it'll be a minority.

I appreciate that it could be a great avenue for the smaller clubs like yourselves when run right but the difference between our CC amateurs (ie the team maybe going junior) and the first team is huge.

1 minute ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Would be interesting to know what EoS Premier teams are moving lads from the CC to the first team squad over the summer. I think it'll be a minority.

I appreciate that it could be a great avenue for the smaller clubs like yourselves when run right but the difference between our CC amateurs (ie the team maybe going junior) and the first team is huge.

We’ve had a few of our CC U19’s feature this season, one came off the bench in our must win last game of the season and done very well.   Some of these players will go into the U20’s next season (run by the Seniors, not the CC) and I expect some to progress into the senior team.  We wont be the only ones.

Anyway that wasn’t the point, I’m more commenting on the age of the Lithgae team, only 3 players under the age of 25? Almost unheard of at this level, quite astonishing really.

Definitely room for two or three new blood. But aside from Ovy, Sloan and Coco I wouldn't say any of them are veterans and you can also look at it another way.

Coyne, Coco, MacLennans, Jamie and Gary Thom have all been in our first team for the best part of a decade so we're given the chance and are still in the team with little need to replace any of them. All top servants to the club.

2 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Definitely room for two or three new blood. But aside from Ovy, Sloan and Coco I wouldn't say any of them are veterans and you can also look at it another way.

Coyne, Coco, MacLennans, Jamie and Gary Thom have all been in our first team for the best part of a decade so we're given the chance and are still in the team with little need to replace any of them. All top servants to the club.

I agree, I find it hard to believe that at any point in the past 5 years we could have realistically upgraded on those players.

Younger players we've brought in have, for various reasons, generally not made the grade. Nothing to do with age, just that we're not finding young players better than the older guys, who we're lucky to have. They came into a very successful team and they carry the DNA of Junior Cup winning teams of previous years.

Of course, next season will be different when we bring De Ligt to the Microsoft Prestonfield Arena... 

Broxburn to win 1-0 today, both sets of fans miserable at Albyn Park.

And Linlithgow to beat Penicuik, both sets of fans celebrating.

Could be a strange day. Hope the internet reception in Penicuik is good!