Linlithgow Rose 18/19

2 hours ago, HTG said:

Suggestions are always welcome. Sometimes we'll be able to work with them and sometimes not. But make them anyway! 

Alright, here's some more, all, some or most of which might be stupid. And I know these have all probably been tried before, or have been thought of and ruled out for good reasons, and I'm just the arse suggesting the bleedin' obvious. But you never know. I'd help with some of them but 1) I can't commit to going to every game, 2) I have absolutely no manual skills and 3) some Rose fans on here seem to hate me and I don't know who they are, if they're part of the club then I don't think I'd be welcome. But happy to get involved if I can help. 

Open the snack bar on school days, it would be by far the nearest takeaway to the academy. Not exactly healthy eating, but we could make a fortune. Might need a bit of careful handling.

Make a "Next Match" board like many clubs have, but maybe put it somewhere more prominent than at the ground? Maybe in the High Street by the community notice board?

In the summer print a handy fixture list, maybe wallet sized, and deliver it to every house in the town. This doesn't take as long as you might think, about 50 hours' work all-in, I'd be happy to do some of that. Or see if it could be delivered with the Black Bitch magazine. If cost is a problem then print fewer and target them at areas like Preston, Braehead and the Bridge.

Would any of the High Street shops stock/sell merchandise? The newsagent at the cross? This could be fairly quickly explored through the Linlithgow Business Association.

We're on an upcoming groundhop, aren't we? Saturday 30 March, 8pm? Seems an ideal time to flog beer and food. Also, there's a great wee programme shop in Bathgate, would they want to come with a stall in the ground? Groundhoppers love programmes.

Where do the Linlithgow & District Tartan Army watch games on TV? Can we draw them into the social club? Yesterday would have been a chance to maybe do a ticket including the Broxburn game, food and drink in the Social Club after the match and then the Scotland game on the screens.

I started following the Rose when I moved to the town, at first they were my wee team, it took about 8 years for them to become my favourite team, now they're my only team. Linlithgow is a place a lot of people move to as adults, and they already have teams. I know a Stirling Albion fan who's lived in the town for at least 20 years and had never been to Prestonfield until our cup tie against them. Can we persuade more of them to come? How about free entry on international weekends for season ticket holders of any SPFL team? Or distribute a few free passes among the town's supporters clubs? Who knows if we might convert a few, and if we don't get then we might get their kids. It might seem a big undignified trying to get adopted by fans of other clubs, but feck that, Sky have been turning Scottish football fans into Man City and Barcelona fans for years. Time to fight the other way, and we can't rely on born-and-bred Linlithgow guys for ever, there aren't enough of them.

57 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Alright, here's some more, all, some or most of which might be stupid. And I know these have all probably been tried before, or have been thought of and ruled out for good reasons, and I'm just the arse suggesting the bleedin' obvious. But you never know. I'd help with some of them but 1) I can't commit to going to every game, 2) I have absolutely no manual skills and 3) some Rose fans on here seem to hate me and I don't know who they are, if they're part of the club then I don't think I'd be welcome. But happy to get involved if I can help. 

Open the snack bar on school days, it would be by far the nearest takeaway to the academy. Not exactly healthy eating, but we could make a fortune. Might need a bit of careful handling.

Make a "Next Match" board like many clubs have, but maybe put it somewhere more prominent than at the ground? Maybe in the High Street by the community notice board?

In the summer print a handy fixture list, maybe wallet sized, and deliver it to every house in the town. This doesn't take as long as you might think, about 50 hours' work all-in, I'd be happy to do some of that. Or see if it could be delivered with the Black Bitch magazine. If cost is a problem then print fewer and target them at areas like Preston, Braehead and the Bridge.

Would any of the High Street shops stock/sell merchandise? The newsagent at the cross? This could be fairly quickly explored through the Linlithgow Business Association.

We're on an upcoming groundhop, aren't we? Saturday 30 March, 8pm? Seems an ideal time to flog beer and food. Also, there's a great wee programme shop in Bathgate, would they want to come with a stall in the ground? Groundhoppers love programmes.

Where do the Linlithgow & District Tartan Army watch games on TV? Can we draw them into the social club? Yesterday would have been a chance to maybe do a ticket including the Broxburn game, food and drink in the Social Club after the match and then the Scotland game on the screens.

I started following the Rose when I moved to the town, at first they were my wee team, it took about 8 years for them to become my favourite team, now they're my only team. Linlithgow is a place a lot of people move to as adults, and they already have teams. I know a Stirling Albion fan who's lived in the town for at least 20 years and had never been to Prestonfield until our cup tie against them. Can we persuade more of them to come? How about free entry on international weekends for season ticket holders of any SPFL team? Or distribute a few free passes among the town's supporters clubs? Who knows if we might convert a few, and if we don't get then we might get their kids. It might seem a big undignified trying to get adopted by fans of other clubs, but feck that, Sky have been turning Scottish football fans into Man City and Barcelona fans for years. Time to fight the other way, and we can't rely on born-and-bred Linlithgow guys for ever, there aren't enough of them.

At last something sensible! The committee could always ask for help if some of the ideas require assistance. 

I'd turn the garage into a snack bar/ cafe.with a hole in the wall inside the ground for match days.we can all come up with ideas that we think are good money makers but these all tend to carry financial costs.I can also mind at meetings for folr.there was talk of lrfc not applying for grants from different organisations,(landfill etc) not being investigated.other organisations in the town have benefited from applying and being awarded these grants.new committee might be going down this route ?.

Not sure all are workable but a very decent post.

48 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

I'd turn the garage into a snack bar/ cafe.with a hole in the wall inside the ground for match days.we can all come up with ideas that we think are good money makers but these all tend to carry financial costs.I can also mind at meetings for folr.there was talk of lrfc not applying for grants from different organisations,(landfill etc) not being investigated.other organisations in the town have benefited from applying and being awarded these grants.new committee might be going down this route ?.

The thing about grants is that they aren't sustainable or reliable. Growing the fanbase and the regular sources of income like through the gates, the catering and the social club is something you can rely on and make plans with. Grants are only ever one-off. Obviously accessing any money available would be good too, though I'd never underestimate the amount of work involved in getting them, and then in justifying what you did with the money. 

A lot of left field suggestions that probably wouldn't work.

Certainly not knocking that as with any club we need to continue to invent new and innovative ideas.

Often the best ideas are already out there and nothing stopping you from trying them.

I don't buy treasure chest as seldom see or in the right places to buy one.

If I could buy a draw number say 10 quid per month paid by D/D with a cash prize I would happily do that. All of a sudden I'm regularly contributing.

I also contribute to FOLR because it's done by D/D so makes it easy.

10 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Certainly not knocking that as with any club we need to continue to invent new and innovative ideas.

Often the best ideas are already out there and nothing stopping you from trying them.

If I could buy a draw number say 10 quid per month paid by D/D with a cash prize I would happily do that. All of a sudden I'm regularly contributing.

Why would none of them work? You say they wouldn’t work but you’re not knocking them! Kind of contradictory if you ask me. Were these ideas tried before? 

58 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

I'm not interested in raffles and stuff so I wouldn't know. But the DD point is a good one - if you could pay for your season ticket by DD, you'd probably let it carry on every year. I got one a few years ago but didn't renew, I wasn't sure how to go about getting one and never followed it up. I'd probably have had one every year since if it had been on DD.

18 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

You go into the club and buy it.

There was a lot of online advertising regarding buying season tickets. A lot of selling was done before matches early in the season. Cash up front and a ticket was yours - not something a DD would cover unfortunately. 

26 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

You go into the club and buy it.

What is "the club"? The social club? I phoned them, they didn't have them, they told me I could catch a guy I didn't know at the next home game, but I didn't want to go up to totally random people and ask for a stranger, to buy something I had no idea the price of. A few games into the season and then it doesn't seem worth it. As a sales technique, telling people "You go into the club and buy it... actually no, a guy there will tell you the name of a guy to go asking for at the next home game, you won't know who to ask but you'll just ask folk that look 'official-ly', you'll get passed to the guy, he'll take you into a wee room near the changing rooms after the game and there you'll pay in cash" is not great. You'll sell more if you don't expect people to go hunting for them. Only the committed few will buy things like that.

Come to think of it, advertising the season tickets on Twitter this season was a big part of me deciding to get one and knowing how and where to get it.

Ask around the town and see how many people know the Rose even sells season tickets or can guess how much they might be. 

ETA I pay DD for my rugby season pass - 5 instalments over the summer ahead of the first autumn test. Maybe 2-3 instalments in June-August would work for a Rose season ticket. If it's still felt too risky to let people have their ticket without paying up front, maybe let them at least renew their season ticket by DD.

Edited by GordonS

12 minutes ago, lithgierose said:
49 minutes ago, GordonS said:
Thanks FB, I'm honestly a bit relieved by that. 

Going back to your post,getting the tartan army into the SOCIAL club.do you use the social club before home and away games.

No.

Why would none of them work? You say they wouldn’t work but you’re not knocking them! Kind of contradictory if you ask me. Were these ideas tried before? 
It was only my own view on a couple of the suggestions.

Certainly not knocking him for making them. Would be delighted if they all worked.

The bowling club offers Bacs facilities to members to pay membership - so it's not exactly difficult.

I think the real point is we don't try anything different.

5 years ago the BC struggled so we innovated and are thriving on and off the green. Our membership is growing against the trend of other clubs.

21 minutes ago, lithgierose said:
34 minutes ago, GordonS said:
No.

There are members of the supporters club who would rather stand outside in the rain.rather than go into the social club and even buy a juice.to support their club.

Is that the bar steward effect? 

25 minutes ago, lithgierose said:
38 minutes ago, GordonS said:
No.

There are members of the supporters club who would rather stand outside in the rain.rather than go into the social club and even buy a juice.to support their club.

I don't use it on match days because I'm usually at the game either with the big kid or on my own, and I'm pretty anti-social anyway. I sometimes drop in midweek to watch football. Apologies if this is a very stupid question (though I'm sure I'm not the only person who doesn't know); do you need to be/ are you supposed to be a member of the club or the social club to get in?