Linlithgow Rose 18/19

Best team won today. No excuses from tranent. Referee handed the cards out to easy for me. No arguments regarding the sending off though.
Good luck in the next round
I respect your view on the cards. But I felt at times your players gave him little choice with some silly challenges.

That's our best performance for a long while.

Took in this tie today. There was a decent crowd - and an excellent pitch given the rain which had fallen.

Tranent competed for the opening spell of the game but Linlithgow deserved their win and frankly it could've been by a bigger margin had they taken all of their chances.

Equally it can be said Tranent were most often an architect of their own downfalls - missed tackles for 1st (wondered if the striker was determined to walk it right in!), dithering then a poor pass-back for 2nd, missed header leaving back-post unguarded for 3rd, 'keeper neatly lobbed for 4th, wall split like the Red Sea for 5th, and own-goal for 6th?

Play got more robust and a bit niggly late-on but the referee kept a lid on it.

Rose looked sharper and more potent than recent results had suggested, and not only march into the Last 16 next month but will carry increased confidence into the Scottish Cup next week.

Tranent exits a 2nd cup but can still aim for a run in the EOS Qualifying, League or King tournaments.

Excellent afternoon's entertainment for £6.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Took in this tie today. There was a decent crowd - and an excellent pitch given the rain which had fallen.

Tranent competed for the opening spell of the game but Linlithgow deserved their win and frankly it could've been by a bigger margin had they taken all of their chances.

Equally it can be said Tranent were most often an architect of their own downfalls - missed tackles for 1st (wondered if the striker was determined to walk it right in!), dithering then a poor pass-back for 2nd, missed header leaving back-post unguarded for 3rd, 'keeper neatly lobbed for 4th, wall split like the Red Sea for 5th, and own-goal for 6th?

Play got more robust and a bit niggly late-on but the referee kept a lid on it.

Rose looked sharper and more potent than recent results had suggested, and not only march into the Last 16 next month but will carry increased confidence into the Scottish Cup next week.

Tranent exits a 2nd cup but can still aim for a run in the EOS Qualifying, League or King tournaments.

Excellent afternoon's entertainment for £6.
Good summary.

Yes fair play to the groundsman their park was in superb condition.

Also big improvement on the surrounds from my last visit.

Yes fair play to the committee. You couldn’t get a pie or bovril 5 years ago. The aim is to get the club licensed. There’s improvements every week at the ground. Still a long way to go though but definitely going in the right direction.

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

For me, it's all about next week. While it's been great for Rose to get a run of games against theoretically relatively lesser sides, as they needed to regain their confidence and work on the shape without it costing matches, I'm worried about the two goals lost today. I wasn't at the game so I don't know how they happened. Nobody has tested Rose at the back in recent weeks, so it remains to be seen how much they've sorted the horrendous difficulties they had between midfield and defence, in the centre of defence, and in dealing with counter attacks. There's no way Rose are scoring 6 next week, but if they lose 2 they'll almost certainly be going out. It's brilliant to see the attack working so well but the jury is still be out on whether they can defend. We'll find out on Saturday.

For me, it's all about next week. While it's been great for Rose to get a run of games against theoretically relatively lesser sides, as they needed to regain their confidence and work on the shape without it costing matches, I'm worried about the two goals lost today. I wasn't at the game so I don't know how they happened. Nobody has tested Rose at the back in recent weeks, so it remains to be seen how much they've sorted the horrendous difficulties they had between midfield and defence, in the centre of defence, and in dealing with counter attacks. There's no way Rose are scoring 6 next week, but if they lose 2 they'll almost certainly be going out. It's brilliant to see the attack working so well but the jury is still be out on whether they can defend. We'll find out on Saturday.
As our resident doom and gloom merchant - losing goals concern me also.

In context the 1st could have been called a foul on the keeper.

The 2nd was a deflection which left our keeper flat footed.

That aside I don't think Tranent caused us much trouble at the back.

Tranent can't be classed in the lesser opposition column as they were a decent side until their discipline went in the 2nd half.

Be in no doubt yesterday was a top performance from the Rose. The result was hard earned and well deserved.

Next week will be tough but yesterday showed we are going there in form and more importantly with confidence.

HTG

"I wasn't there... but here is my view on the game."

Stop slavering pish. Next you'll be giving a first person account of the events in the Balkans which sparked WW1.

You can only beat what's in front of you. In the last 4 games we have 30 goals scored. But seemingly not good enough.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

Don't really get your logic about losing 2 and we will be going out. Beith scored 2 yesterday and didn't win!

Don't really get your logic about losing 2 and we will be going out. Beith scored 2 yesterday and didn't win!
Beith defence is pretty poor. Lose at least 2 goals a game. Keep the ball on the deck and you have a good chance of beating them as their defence is pretty slow and can't live with pacey forwards.

5 hours ago, GlamourBaws said:

"I wasn't there... but here is my view on the game."

Stop slavering pish. Next you'll be giving a first person account of the events in the Balkans which sparked WW1.

You can only beat what's in front of you. In the last 4 games we have 30 goals scored. But seemingly not good enough.

You could always try reading the post and reacting to what's actually in it.

When we were playing tougher opposition our defence was horrendous. The Dunbar game featured by far the worst defending I've ever seen from a Rose team and nobody has put us under any pressure in the past 5 games. That's the point. I think you knew that but decided to make a performance anyway.

4 hours ago, andy25 said:
4 hours ago, Scapegoat said:

Beith defence is pretty poor. Lose at least 2 goals a game. Keep the ball on the deck and you have a good chance of beating them as their defence is pretty slow and can't live with pacey forwards.

Good to hear! We don't have much pace up front, but we do have the ability to unpick a defence on the ground.

Good to hear! We don't have much pace up front, but we do have the ability to unpick a defence on the ground.

I'll look forward to your analysis of the Beith game - even more so if you are actually at this one... I won't be, so the opinion of someone else in the same boat of me is always welcomed.

If Roddy and Ronald don't represent pace I'm not sure what does but I take it your point is on our no 10s.
Yeah, I don't think of them as "up front". TC has never had pace and he looks a little slower this season. It's not a problem as it's not how he plays, it's just that he doesn't have the tools to exploit a slow defence. Kevin Watt and Coco are average speed for forwards at this level. If Beith have a problem in this area then maybe bringing Roddy inside at times might be a useful tactic.

Yeah, I don't think of them as "up front". TC has never had pace and he looks a little slower this season. It's not a problem as it's not how he plays, it's just that he doesn't have the tools to exploit a slow defence. Kevin Watt and Coco are average speed for forwards at this level. If Beith have a problem in this area then maybe bringing Roddy inside at times might be a useful tactic.[/quote. Surprised to hear kev watt being described as having average pace but each to their own opinion especially at the level he playing at now

I wouldn't class Watt as slow either.

My only view on him - like many new players he needs time to settle into his new surroundings and find his place within the team.

Looks a good enough finisher and bagged a few goals already.