Linlithgow Rose 18/19

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

So we're honestly debating whether Ruari McLennan is any good? :lol:

BTW, those three players I named, it's not just their quality, it's also what they brought to the team. The biggest problem the season before last was midfield, and especially a lack of creativity. Poor Batchy was a one-man midfield. Ruari's passing and Roddy's carrying were a big part of that problem being sorted (along with Owen Ronald). Up front, Aiden Malone clearly wasn't good enough to support Tommy Coyne (even though he came from League One). There are plenty of forwards of Coco's level in Junior football, but he's a selfless runner too.

Roddy and Coco have been among the wounded players this season and that's been a big problem. Ruari has been the best player IMO, but a lack of options in front of him mean he's been forced to shuttle passes across the park.

Oh, and another thing about McGlynn. He got lucky in that cup run. Injuries forced him to play Graeme Weir exactly where he should have been playing - in centre midfield, instead of up front. He hadn't had the legs to play up front for a long, long time, especially against the likes of Forfar or Ross County, but he had the best football brain in the team. He sat and mopped up in the middle, was always available for the ball and made good decisions with it. He could take the heat out when we were under pressure, and he knew when to get it forward. As soon as the midfield injuries cleared up McGlynn put him right back where he'd been - chasing balls down the channels that he was never going to get, and only getting half an hour out of him because it was knackering. He's a terrible manager.

Agreed 100%. We were down to 11 fit players for most games so he had no other options.

Ask any of the players and they will tell you that McGlynn is a dreadful manager.

1 hour ago, The Dog Hip said:

2nd is that good enough for you when last did they won anything but a relegation battle 

The season after nearly getting relegated, and only 4 points behind a very, very good Bonnyrigg side, I was delighted with 2nd. McGlynn left us with maybe 6 players worth keeping in the entire squad; turning that round in one season was beyond any reasonable expectations. It's been a few years since we've won trophies but I'm not worried, it looks to me like the committee are laying good foundations for the future. A lot of the clubs around us are going to have to fork out for infrastructure soon if they want to progress, while the Rose have already made those investments. You can't even sit down at Bo'ness or Bonnyrigg. Big changes are happening in Scottish football and we look pretty well placed to benefit.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

The season after nearly getting relegated, and only 4 points behind a very, very good Bonnyrigg side, I was delighted with 2nd. McGlynn left us with maybe 6 players worth keeping in the entire squad; turning that round in one season was beyond any reasonable expectations. It's been a few years since we've won trophies but I'm not worried, it looks to me like the committee are laying good foundations for the future. A lot of the clubs around us are going to have to fork out for infrastructure soon if they want to progress, while the Rose have already made those investments. You can't even sit down at Bo'ness or Bonnyrigg. Big changes are happening in Scottish football and we look pretty well placed to benefit.

You can sit down at Bo’ness 

Ormiston bench are giving me a good laugh. Really they're only passing their indiscipline to their players. You'd have thought when one got booked and gave away an indirect free kick for dissent, then immediately got another yellow for a stupid foul, they'd be trying to calm them down.

4-0 barely hints at the dominance. Ruari, Batchelor and Sloan are owning midfield, Ronald is a constant menace down the right and the full backs are able to play almost as wingers. I can't recall Ormiston touching the ball in the final third and they've barely completed a pass in the Rose half.

Nae pies though...[emoji24]

I was standing just down from the dugouts and never heard any of the mentioned indiscipline. Tough game for Ormiston but you only have to look at the budgets of both teams to see why the scoreline was so hefty. Tough one for the young lads to take but im sure they will bounce back. Thought the ref was a bit card happy with the Ormiston lads. Young lad will feel a bit silly about his red card as it cost his team.