Linlithgow Rose 18/19

Add up the posts on mine on both threads, that's clearly not true. [emoji38]
Liked this part of prorege post on  non league matters  describing yesterdays game
"This is the worst Linlithgow side I have seen in 40 years. The Prestonfield club can always be relied upon to field a team of battlers and their trade mark has been to play with an intensity that forces opponents into errors. Manager Mark Bradley sets the tone for this current team – he’s a fat pudding and far too loyal to long-serving players that are well over the hill. Slack passing, poor fitness and a couldn’t care less attiitude summed up this bunch of imposters in maroon jerseys."[emoji4]

Loyalty there is a novelty.

The only loyalty in Kelty revolves round £££££'s.

Everything about that quote on non league matters is bollocks, even the praise. When were Rose a team of battlers and hustlers? In the two decades I've been watching them they've always been a footballing side who look to dominate through possession and stretching the pitch. I've seen them play through a Raith Rovers midfield like it wasn't there, with Raith resorting to hammering it long, bypassing their meathead in the centre circle. I've seen them flick and slide the ball down the right before a glorious square ball created a second goal away at a top 6 Premier League club. I've seen them go nearly a season unbeaten playing football on the deck.

As for loyalty, how many of the squad survived his first summer in charge? 

There are obviously problems, but there are amoeba on the rings of Saturn who know more about football that whoever wrote that excerpt.

15 hours ago, GordonS said:

Everything about that quote on non league matters is bollocks, even the praise. When were Rose a team of battlers and hustlers? In the two decades I've been watching them they've always been a footballing side who look to dominate through possession and stretching the pitch. I've seen them play through a Raith Rovers midfield like it wasn't there, with Raith resorting to hammering it long, bypassing their meathead in the centre circle. I've seen them flick and slide the ball down the right before a glorious square ball created a second goal away at a top 6 Premier League club. I've seen them go nearly a season unbeaten playing football on the deck.

As for loyalty, how many of the squad survived his first summer in charge? 

There are obviously problems, but there are amoeba on the rings of Saturn who know more about football that whoever wrote that excerpt.

Nice to see Myglnn wasn’t all that bad with above you’ve said 

Nice to see Myglnn wasn’t all that bad with above you’ve said 
McGlynn's problems were:

1) Signing players nowhere near good enough for top half of the East Superleague;
2) Letting good players leave;
3) A propensity to do very stupid things like play 3 up front while a goal ahead in the closing stages of a must-win game against a ten-man Bonnyrigg.

He's still by far the worst manager I've seen at Prestonfield.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

McGlynn's problems were:

1) Signing players nowhere near good enough for top half of the East Superleague;
2) Letting good players leave;
3) A propensity to do very stupid things like play 3 up front while a goal ahead in the closing stages of a must-win game against a ten-man Bonnyrigg.

He's still by far the worst manager I've seen at Prestonfield.

What good players did he let leave 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:
1 hour ago, Sheep77 said:
What good players did he let leave 

Ruari and Roddy McLennan, and Coco Strickland.

Good they couldn't hold a regular place at Bo'ness but this committee in their wisdom brought them back along with a manager that wasn't good enough the first time around 

Good they couldn't hold a regular place at Bo'ness but this committee in their wisdom brought them back along with a manager that wasn't good enough the first time around 
They were very important players in a team that finished 2nd in the league last season.

How did the team they 'weren't good enough for' get on, exactly?

That will be the Ruari would competed favourably against World Cup player Jackson Irvine not long ago.

Or the same Ruari gave McGinn plenty to think about when we played Hibs pre-season.

Sheep just has his nose out of joint as not being fed gossip to spread.

37 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Or the same Ruari gave McGinn plenty to think about when we played Hibs pre-season.

Sheep just has his nose out of joint as not being fed gossip to spread.

It was a friendly. What senior clubs have been kicking the door down to sign him 

15 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

It was a friendly. What senior clubs have been kicking the door down to sign him 

The Ross County game wasn't.

Ruari is currently playing for a senior team but would be playing a couple of leagues higher but for his hip problems.

So we're honestly debating whether Ruari McLennan is any good? :lol:

BTW, those three players I named, it's not just their quality, it's also what they brought to the team. The biggest problem the season before last was midfield, and especially a lack of creativity. Poor Batchy was a one-man midfield. Ruari's passing and Roddy's carrying were a big part of that problem being sorted (along with Owen Ronald). Up front, Aiden Malone clearly wasn't good enough to support Tommy Coyne (even though he came from League One). There are plenty of forwards of Coco's level in Junior football, but he's a selfless runner too.

Roddy and Coco have been among the wounded players this season and that's been a big problem. Ruari has been the best player IMO, but a lack of options in front of him mean he's been forced to shuttle passes across the park.

Oh, and another thing about McGlynn. He got lucky in that cup run. Injuries forced him to play Graeme Weir exactly where he should have been playing - in centre midfield, instead of up front. He hadn't had the legs to play up front for a long, long time, especially against the likes of Forfar or Ross County, but he had the best football brain in the team. He sat and mopped up in the middle, was always available for the ball and made good decisions with it. He could take the heat out when we were under pressure, and he knew when to get it forward. As soon as the midfield injuries cleared up McGlynn put him right back where he'd been - chasing balls down the channels that he was never going to get, and only getting half an hour out of him because it was knackering. He's a terrible manager.