Linlithgow Rose 18/19

21 hours ago, GordonS said:

Couldn't make the game today, and without Ben's highlights I appreciate the reports. Seems to me that it's more about a lot of individual problems rather than something underlying, and that when the injuries clear up we should come (reasonably) good. In that case all that matters is scraping results and limiting harm. Next week is another game that they just have to find a way to win, and hopefully we'll be in a better place in the next round. Camelon in the league in two weeks' time will be a serious test.

Disappointed to hear that Watt wasn't great, I've been very underwhelmed by him so far. He doesn't seem capable of playing with his back to goal and he's easily brushed off the ball. He might be good in behind, but most defences sit quite deep against Rose. I worry that he's the new Connor Kelly - scores goals at clubs where he'll get chances to use his pace, but will struggle at a club that usually has most of the possession. Early days though, hopefully Bradley can find the best way to utilise him. I'd have though his best role is to do TC's running for him.

Do you mean running for TC's pies at half time 

8 hours ago, The Dog Hip said:

Do you mean running for TC's pies at half time 

Strikers are ultimately judged on goals, TC has proved his credentials on that one.  So as the new boy the pressure is on Watt to fit his attributes into his new team - Watt once he settles down will be fine as his goals for Rob Roy last season proved.

Our problems aren't personnel - its the inability to get them all available at the same time due to our injury list.   Batchy, Roddy, Coco and Ronald would more than likely start if available.  At the moment we are no more than filling jerseys.

On 8/26/2018 at 00:39, The Dog Hip said:

No Ruari put in half a shift one of the reasons we're in a sorry state 

Disagree... 

The laddie in beside him in central midfield yesterday is an imposter. Ruari was in there with 3 opposition players at times due to Uruquhart's amazing ability to be perpetually nowhere near the play, which isnt a great attribute for a central midfielder. I'd love to think there was a player in there somewhere, but i just don't see it at all. 

I'd be scared to commit up the field as well if it was Urquhart I was trusting to sort things out behind me. I actually thought Jamie McKenzie would have worked well in there to allow Ruari to play a bit more.  

1 hour ago, GlamourBaws said:

I actually thought Jamie McKenzie would have worked well in there to allow Ruari to play a bit more.  

Interesting point.  A couple of times when things were getting bogged down Jamie took a run up the park with the ball and showed amazing speed. I thought maybe he could have been shifted up front to change things around a bit. He has the potential to be used in various positions.

Of course, no player wants to be the utility man as that could mean sitting on the bench.

2 hours ago, GlamourBaws said:

Disagree... 

The laddie in beside him in central midfield yesterday is an imposter. Ruari was in there with 3 opposition players at times due to Uruquhart's amazing ability to be perpetually nowhere near the play, which isnt a great attribute for a central midfielder. I'd love to think there was a player in there somewhere, but i just don't see it at all. 

I'd be scared to commit up the field as well if it was Urquhart I was trusting to sort things out behind me. I actually thought Jamie McKenzie would have worked well in there to allow Ruari to play a bit more.  

In his defence - we have asked him to play everywhere apart from keeper.   We all know the abilities of Jamie, but the team needs stability that having a fuller squad to select from - for me  that needs to start from the back and a solid foundation.

35 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

In his defence - we have asked him to play everywhere apart from keeper.   We all know the abilities of Jamie, but the team needs stability that having a fuller squad to select from - for me  that needs to start from the back and a solid foundation.

As i recall, he has played right back once or twice (and been very poor), and in midfield (and been very poor). But to take your approach - if he has played everywhere, he has been terrible everywhere. I think he arrived as a central midfielder, and this was his chance to show what he could do in his "natural position". Feel it is harsh to criticise a player who is trying his best to make up for 2 or 3 players. 

I wouldn't have Jamie in midfield in normal circumstances, but he could do a job in there if we are short. Mark obviously decided on 3 at the back on Saturday for a reason so Jamie had to be in there as a 3.  As a 2 at the back, he could no doubt step up into the middle and do more than the lad who was in there. Its past now... and we won the game. 

Looking forward, we need a creative spark from somewhere between the middle and the front. There aren't many teams at our level who have Roddy, Owen and Batchy close to getting back in... that will certainly liven us up a little. 

5 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Strikers are ultimately judged on goals, TC has proved his credentials on that one.  So as the new boy the pressure is on Watt to fit his attributes into his new team - Watt once he settles down will be fine as his goals for Rob Roy last season proved.

Our problems aren't personnel - its the inability to get them all available at the same time due to our injury list.   Batchy, Roddy, Coco and Ronald would more than likely start if available.  At the moment we are no more than filling jerseys.

So every other player has to suffer so tommy can score goals and get the plaudits  

7 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

So every other player has to suffer so tommy can score goals and get the plaudits  

"Suffer."

Ok...

The team are most likely to win by putting TC in positions to score as often as possible. He's not getting any younger, and he's the guy the other team marks. It doesn't take Pep Guardiola to work out that the job of the second striker in that team is help that happen, and when they can't, to take advantage of the space TC makes. Coco does that pretty well (when fit), and that's what he gets plaudits for every bit as much as when he scores.

5 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

Maybe... but just because a forward scores plenty at one team, doesn't mean he'll score the same at another, even if he's playing generally weaker opposition. The way the team is set up, and the way defences set up against them, often determine what type of forward will fit best.

2 hours ago, Sheep77 said:

Where has anyone said any player has to suffer?   

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Maybe... but just because a forward scores plenty at one team, doesn't mean he'll score the same at another, even if he's playing generally weaker opposition. The way the team is set up, and the way defences set up against them, often determine what type of forward will fit best.

Very true. 

However any player moving from one team to another, will want to prove his credentials.  Watt is still finding his feet at Linlithgow and that doesn't happen overnight.  Every confidence that he will find his feet and become an important player in our team

13 hours ago, GlamourBaws said:

Disagree... 

As I said half a shift from Ruari he passes and stops he no longer supports his forwards 

"Suffer."
Ok...
The team are most likely to win by putting TC in positions to score as often as possible. He's not getting any younger, and he's the guy the other team marks. It doesn't take Pep Guardiola to work out that the job of the second striker in that team is help that happen, and when they can't, to take advantage of the space TC makes. Coco does that pretty well (when fit), and that's what he gets plaudits for every bit as much as when he scores.

Looks like he takes up more space than he makes...

4 hours ago, plug mac said:

Send Kevin back to us he is a penalty box player feeds off flick ons big sawyers does that all day coyne seems to want to have it on a plate come home kev emoji106.png

If you are a KRR fan it’s a bit difficult to know how you come to that opinion about Coyne. And if all Kevin can do is feed off someone else’s hard work does that mean all Kevin wants is it on a plate?