Linlithgow Rose 18/19

On 8/4/2018 at 16:33, GordonS said:

Where's Leiper? I'm not a fan of that centre half pairing at all.

Terrible shortage of players getting forward, with Ruari, Bathcy and Smith not getting close enough to TC and the full backs crossing from too deep. Perfect example was Smith making a break on the left with less than 10 minutes to go, but only TC in the box and nobody else within 20 yards.

Lots of possession and control in the middle of the park, but that'll count for little with a questionable central defence and a sole isolated striker. 

the full backs arent full backs though... Sloan certainly has a place in the squad, but he isnt a natural full back - he doesnt have the engine to get up and down, and our midfield is naturally narrow with those who were playing.  We needed a full back to bomb on, but we just didnt have one available. 

McKinley was attempting to create that space at times, which left us short in the centre. I like the look of McKinley by the way. I always like a centre back who is physcially imposing (like John Ward, or John Ovy). 

The performances will improve, but with 11 players out, its always going to be a bit of a struggle. 

13 hours ago, GlamourBaws said:

the full backs arent full backs though... Sloan certainly has a place in the squad, but he isnt a natural full back - he doesnt have the engine to get up and down, and our midfield is naturally narrow with those who were playing.  We needed a full back to bomb on, but we just didnt have one available. 

McKinley was attempting to create that space at times, which left us short in the centre. I like the look of McKinley by the way. I always like a centre back who is physcially imposing (like John Ward, or John Ovy). 

The performances will improve, but with 11 players out, its always going to be a bit of a struggle. 

I like Sloan at full back, but only as a conventional full back. Tbh I'm not a fan of him in midfield against good opposition - he's too slow and gets closed down and caught in possession too often. But given space he makes good decisions.

I was probably being a bit harsh on the centre halves, they're not first choice and that position always benefits from players who are used to playing with each other.

One good thing for Rose is that we have a bit of time to get things right. No competitive game until 15 August and that shouldn't be too tough as it's IHS; then Stirling Uni EOS in the league and Dunbar in a cup, both at home. It's 1 September before we get to a game that could be stretching and that we'd badly not want to lose, against Preston or Glasgow Uni in the big Scottish, and 8 September before the serious business of Camelon in the league. We're lucky to be having a relatively soft start to the season, with matches that are either not a big deal to lose, or that are against weaker opposition. 

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

I like Sloan at full back, but only as a conventional full back. Tbh I'm not a fan of him in midfield against good opposition - he's too slow and gets closed down and caught in possession too often. But given space he makes good decisions.

I was probably being a bit harsh on the centre halves, they're not first choice and that position always benefits from players who are used to playing with each other.

One good thing for Rose is that we have a bit of time to get things right. No competitive game until 15 August and that shouldn't be too tough as it's IHS; then Stirling Uni EOS in the league and Dunbar in a cup, both at home. It's 1 September before we get to a game that could be stretching and that we'd badly not want to lose, against Preston or Glasgow Uni in the big Scottish, and 8 September before the serious business of Camelon in the league. We're lucky to be having a relatively soft start to the season, with matches that are either not a big deal to lose, or that are against weaker opposition. 

on the flip side, these supposed weaker teams will be looking at our results thus far and thinking that we are there for the taking... complacency will get us nowhere. 

Getting the injuries and holidays out the way will be a massive help. 

9 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Can't understand this attitude at all.

We grossly underestimated our start to the season so far and quite frankly it's embarrassing that we are out of the cup.

That attitude will get us nowhere and we should be being far more professional and maybe we'll realise our potential.

Agree -  not a good pre-season or start to the season.   Holidays you overcome with planning.  Injuries you can react to and  the solution to both is the same - trialists to fill jerseys/bench.

Saturday against Penicuik we were ill prepared for a match which we needed to win.

1 hour ago, GlamourBaws said:

on the flip side, these supposed weaker teams will be looking at our results thus far and thinking that we are there for the taking... complacency will get us nowhere. 

As above - injuries/holidays happen - it's about how you deal with that issue.   No excuses as from the 15th and upwards and onwards

3 hours ago, GlamourBaws said:

True, and I wasn't disrespecting those teams. Just saying we don't have another game until the 15th, and our first two league opponents aren't as good as Penicuik, Sauchie or, on current form, Crossgates. If we'd had a cup tie on Saturday like most teams, and been starting in the league with Camelon and Broxburn, we would have been in deep trouble.

I don't know who's away on holiday, that's not exactly ideal, but then the EOS season started a bit earlier than the juniors used to, so if players booked their holidays a while ago they wouldn't have known we'd be well into the season now.

33 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I don't know who's away on holiday, that's not exactly ideal, but then the EOS season started a bit earlier than the juniors used to, so if players booked their holidays a while ago they wouldn't have known we'd be well into the season now.

The East Superleague started on 5th August last season, so the EoS is only one week early with the first two qualifying league cup games. Bigger issue is that your last Junior league game was on 2nd June, whereas in the EoS all league games were finished by 12th May, plus four King Cup matches within the next two weeks.

Edited by Ginaro

4 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

The East Superleague started on 5th August last season, so the EoS is only one week early with the first two qualifying league cup games. Bigger issue is that your last Junior league game was on 2nd June, whereas in the EoS all league games were finished by 12th May, plus four King Cup matches within the next two weeks.

2018-19 is a transition season for all. 

Going forwards a finish in mid May will be beneficial in providing a proper break along with an opportunity to plan a start/stagger pre-season.  In junior football if you wanted to be succesful you had to view the 3rd Saturday in June as potentially the season end.

This season we finished on the 2nd of June came back early to face Hibs - not ideal. 

As much as I'm disappointed at the poor start - in context there is a longer aim.  We will improve (Saturday showed that) and once we have more players back then we have good options - which weren't available in our initial games.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

True, and I wasn't disrespecting those teams. Just saying we don't have another game until the 15th, and our first two league opponents aren't as good as Penicuik, Sauchie or, on current form, Crossgates. If we'd had a cup tie on Saturday like most teams, and been starting in the league with Camelon and Broxburn, we would have been in deep trouble.

We have a game this saturday coming.so should have all if not most of the full squad available less injured players.

46 minutes ago, lithgierose said:

We have a game this saturday coming.so should have all if not most of the full squad available less injured players.

Only a friendly though - but a very good choice of opponent to see where we're at.

17 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's really not helpful with fans coming onto public forums and writing off opposition before a ball is kicked , particularly when we haven't registered a win yet.  Pretty sure you did the same with Crossgates.   It's hard enough without winding up opponents over the next few weeks!