Linlithgow Rose 18/19

Stumbled across this article and thought I should share: https://stv.tv/sport/football/228845-rush-to-set-up-lowland-league-could-leave-clubs-struggling-for-sfa-licence/ 

The head of a leading junior club fears a new Scottish Lowland League could be short-lived if teams are forced to spend big to meet licencing criteria.

Linlithgow Rose president Les Donaldson is concerned that implementing the new league for next season could leave clubs facing a race to get the grounds compliant in time for 2015/16, when the requirement Scottish FA entry level licence comes into full effect.

Currently just three of the potential participants – Spartans, Preston Athletic and Threave Rovers – hold such a licence.

The Scottish FA requires clubs to have an acceptable standard of PA system, exit signs, refreshment facilities, parking and a boundary wall of at least two metres, to gain entry level.

Inside the ground dressing rooms must fit 22 people, with a minimum of two toilets and five showers for each. In addition, clubs must provide a covered area for at least 100 spectators.

Donaldson supports the implementation of a pyramid system and believes that the Lowland League will be good for Scottish football.

However the Rose president is concerned that if the new set up is rushed through, some clubs may then have to drop out of the league when the licences come into force.

He said: “There are only three clubs licensed at the moment and it’s going to cost clubs thousands of pounds to achieve that.

“There is no point in going on unless the league can help aid teams with finance.

“It will be a big thing for a junior club to go for this because we have already got a good set up and big games.

“The major problem is finance – where is that going to come from? To put in a disabled toilet can cost upwards of £5000 when you factor in planning applications, site visits and the rest of it.

“We definitely think it will be good for Scottish football but there needs to be more work before people are encouraged about it.

“What would be the point in a 16 team league if ten of them have to leave again because they couldn’t get a licence?”

Should the plan for the Lowland League progress in the coming weeks, Rose plan to give their members a vote on whether they will apply to join.

The club president added: “We will put it to our members once we have flesh on the bones. We certainly have to look at it.

“I don’t think anyone would dispute the pyramid system is for the good of the game but we have to get clarity on certain things.”

Asked whether the long-term goal was to become an SPFL club, Scullion admitted he wasn’t so sure.

He said: “There are lots of things we have to consider before that. League Two involves an awful lot of travelling for everyone involved including the players and fans.

“On a personal level I would not want to do that if I had been working all day. But I can’t speak for the club in that regard. A few years back we were drawn away to Wick in the Scottish Cup and we had enough trouble trying to get players organised for that.

“Some at the club have aspirations to go as far as we can and that’s fine.

“I can see pitfalls. We are heading into the unknown.”

From https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/big-debate-junior-football-prepares-12717228

A few months ago he said their ultimate ambition was to get into the SPFL, wonder what's changed? Another outing for the old "Tuesday night away at Elgin" though...

I took 2 days off work, once, to see the Shire up at Elgin on a Tuesday night. Got home about 3am. 

It does happen but trips like this are few and far between. How many times over a period of 10 seasons? Elgin, Peterheid, Stranraer....... 4 or 5 times if you're REALLY unlucky. Not much of a problem for clubs like ours in the central belt. We went down to Annan on a Friday night last season, versus Edusport. Be about an hour and 20 minutes, mostly motorway, pretty easy journey. 

12 hours ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

I took 2 days off work, once, to see the Shire up at Elgin on a Tuesday night. Got home about 3am. 

It does happen but trips like this are few and far between. How many times over a period of 10 seasons? Elgin, Peterheid, Stranraer....... 4 or 5 times if you're REALLY unlucky. Not much of a problem for clubs like ours in the central belt. We went down to Annan on a Friday night last season, versus Edusport. Be about an hour and 20 minutes, mostly motorway, pretty easy journey. 

All of the League Two games are scheduled for Saturdays so in theory there shouldn't be any in midweek. Last year there was 19 total midweek fixtures (excluding those on 2nd January), but most of them in March due to the weather.

Also, a bit disingenuous for Linlithgow to mention Wick in the Scottish Cup - that game had been called off several times due to the weather so was being played on a Wednesday, it's not something that is going to happen on a regular basis in the SPFL. Unlike the Juniors who seem to cram in lots of midweek games at the end of the season!

All of the League Two games are scheduled for Saturdays so in theory there shouldn't be any in midweek. Last year there was 19 total midweek fixtures (excluding those on 2nd January), but most of them in March due to the weather.
Also, a bit disingenuous for Linlithgow to mention Wick in the Scottish Cup - that game had been called off several times due to the weather so was being played on a Wednesday, it's not something that is going to happen on a regular basis in the SPFL. Unlike the Juniors who seem to cram in lots of midweek games at the end of the season!
Such mentions are mainly from the doubters using the extreme negatives to rubbish the pyramid.

I'm still hearing people fed with one sided negatives. We continue to inform the misinformation.

33 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Such mentions are mainly from the doubters using the extreme negatives to rubbish the pyramid.

I'm still hearing people fed with one sided negatives. We continue to inform the misinformation.

Aye.a couple trying their hardest :lol: