Bo'ness United 2018/19

Oh well, a good undefeated run had to end sometime I suppose. Shame it was on the wrong end of a comprehensive swording from Bonnyrigg.

Been impressed with BU and what Max has done since he took over, but today I think the tactics were all wrong. The three across the back just didn’t work, wasn’t necessary against the way Bonnyrigg set up and cost us a player further forward.

Baffling indeed taking Brian Morgan off before Ryan Stevenson, who I don’t think was the man to replace Gemmell in the middle at all.

Comrie impressed again but looked a lone figure in midfield. Would give Andy Murphy MOTM though simply for an incredible save from Dean Brett’s shot that was heading straight for the top corner.

We really missed Gemmell today. A player to sit deep in midfield and give the team a more solid look, a spoiler, a grafter, a master of the dark arts.
Too many times today there were big gaps in the BU team and far too many times misplaced passes.
Having said that the BU's had chances to score in the first half but didn't take them.......whereas Bonnyrigg did. At 2-1 I fancied us to make a comeback in the 2nd half but the third goal for Bonnyrigg changed that and suddenly all the BU players looked a yard off the pace.

The save late in the game by Murphy from the top corner bound curler from Brett was absolutely fantastic. Save of the season stuff.

Bottom line is Bonnyrigg deserved their win and our season is over.

We really missed Gemmell today. A player to sit deep in midfield and give the team a more solid look, a spoiler, a grafter, a master of the dark arts.
Too many times today there were big gaps in the BU team and far too many times misplaced passes.
Having said that the BU's had chances to score in the first half but didn't take them.......whereas Bonnyrigg did. At 2-1 I fancied us to make a comeback in the 2nd half but the third goal for Bonnyrigg changed that and suddenly all the BU players looked a yard off the pace.

The save late in the game by Murphy from the top corner bound curler from Brett was absolutely fantastic. Save of the season stuff.

Bottom line is Bonnyrigg deserved their win and our season is over.
Couldn't have summed it up any better.

Would only add that the referee today was utterly hopeless.

I think Max Christie has done a great job since taking over and should be given total respect.
My only surprise is how much game time Ryan Stevenson has received not only under Max but also under previous management

I think Max Christie has done a great job since taking over and should be given total respect.

My only surprise is how much game time Ryan Stevenson has received not only under Max but also under previous management

First things first. That was an absolute worldie save Andy made from Brett. Had an excellent view of it and it was top bins all the way until the last second. Glad he’s signed for next season.

I still think there’s a good player in Ryan but I don’t know in what position. For me everything says he should be playing wide right but would need to see him get a run of games there to judge.

Given who was available today, I’d have left Ryan on the bench, played 4 at the back and put Dev in the midfield beside Comrie.

Agree with the earlier post about it being a good season, affirmed by the fact I didn’t leave the game scunnered despite the result. Just a bad day at the office but in Max we trust and looking forward to next season. We’re going to be like the Blue Barca of astroturf!

#RIPthenewtoongress

1 hour ago, Legless said:

Only surprise is the comment about Ryan very good player and should start every game 

Well that's that,  the season is over.   

Some players never turned up :- John McCulloch (a new baby) and Callum Scott (total mystery) 

Some players came, they saw, they didn't conquer and they left:- Gray, El-Zubadai, Sweeney, McMullen, Shirra 1 & Shirra 2, Rintoul and Watt

One player I wish had stayed a lot longer was young Tiwi Daramola..........he could have been the next Nicky Walker !!

We had 2 brief cameo appearances :-Rhino in goals for 15 minutes v West Calder and  the old Nicky Walker as a sub in the EoS League Cup final. 

Probably more comings and goings than you would ideally want but on the whole we have had a fairly consistent squad this season.    

Kegs as manager had a record of 18 wins, 5 draws and 6 defeats.  That win to games played ratio would see a team finish well up the table but it was some poor results  that created the murmurings of dissatisfaction on the terraces and in hindsight the 5-0 defeat at Tranent was a painful blessing in disguise.       Max Christie then came in and steadied the ship.   Several sources at the club commented on the hard training sessions they had to endure when Max arrived and the improved fitness and organisation has shown on the pitch with some good performances and results.   Winning the League Cup and finishing 2nd in Conference B are just rewards for a job well done by the BU's.

Several of our players have already signed up for next season and hopefully a few more will decide to stay but inevitably some players will call it a day at Bo'ness (Wright, Hunter and  Snowdon perhaps) and some may head to clubs closer to home (MacDonald, Prentice and MacKenzie perhaps).       

Rumours abound that Max has targeted a number of new players for next season and hopefully he can deliver the players to push for more honours next season when the league will be a lot tougher for all concerned.

Mon the BU's !!!

27 minutes ago, Sheep77 said:

Only surprise is the comment about Ryan very good player and should start every game 

Totally agree with you Sheep.     Ryan has pace and skill, glides over the pitch and puts in a good shift.   I totally accept that he isn't a complete player in the tackling and heading departments but there are other players in the team who can do that.      Max recognises what Ryan can bring to the team.  

Hopefully the rumour that Ryan will sign for the BU's next season is true.     

34 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Totally agree with you Sheep.     Ryan has pace and skill, glides over the pitch and puts in a good shift.   I totally accept that he isn't a complete player in the tackling and heading departments but there are other players in the team who can do that.      Max recognises what Ryan can bring to the team.  

Hope so there isn’t many players in the team that can create for the team  . Max knows how good a player he is especially being a local lad the fans would get behind him 

Well that's that,  the season is over.   
Some players never turned up :- John McCulloch (a new baby) and Callum Scott (total mystery) 
Some players came, they saw, they didn't conquer and they left:- Gray, El-Zubadai, Sweeney, McMullen, Shirra 1 & Shirra 2, Rintoul and Watt
One player I wish had stayed a lot longer was young Tiwi Daramola..........he could have been the next Nicky Walker !!
We had 2 brief cameo appearances :-Rhino in goals for 15 minutes v West Calder and  the old Nicky Walker as a sub in the EoS League Cup final. 
Probably more comings and goings than you would ideally want but on the whole we have had a fairly consistent squad this season.    
Kegs as manager had a record of 18 wins, 5 draws and 6 defeats.  That win to games played ratio would see a team finish well up the table but it was some poor results  that created the murmurings of dissatisfaction on the terraces and in hindsight the 5-0 defeat at Tranent was a painful blessing in disguise.       Max Christie then came in and steadied the ship.   Several sources at the club commented on the hard training sessions they had to endure when Max arrived and the improved fitness and organisation has shown on the pitch with some good performances and results.   Winning the League Cup and finishing 2nd in Conference B are just rewards for a job well done by the BU's.
Several of our players have already signed up for next season and hopefully a few more will decide to stay but inevitably some players will call it a day at Bo'ness (Wright, Hunter and  Snowdon perhaps) and some may head to clubs closer to home (MacDonald, Prentice and MacKenzie perhaps).       
Rumours abound that Max has targeted a number of new players for next season and hopefully he can deliver the players to push for more honours next season when the league will be a lot tougher for all concerned.
Mon the BU's !!!

Max, Haynesy and Blackie have done a great job and fair play to them. Took a talented squad and made them better. Haynesy is my big mate so I am biased but simple but effect changes have made you into a cracking side which has finished the season well. Finishing 2nd in the toughest conference and a cup win is a cracking season. Looking forward to locking horns again home and away with Tranent next season[emoji106][emoji460]️

It’s all about opinions, me and the guys I watch the games with certainly see a different player from you and sheep, I see a player with the odd bit of creativity but nothing out of the ordinary.

It’s all about opinions, me and the guys I watch the games with certainly see a different player from you and sheep, I see a player with the odd bit of creativity but nothing out of the ordinary.

Likewise, but I think there’s a good player there somewhere. For me he needs to be playing right midfield/right wing, not anonymous on the left or filling in for Gemmell in the middle.

Obviously Max and his guys see the boys at training and that can always make a difference, that we the fans don't see.  This season, despite lacking a true front man, we have hit our record score and had 21 different scorers, 6 of those reaching double figures.  A healthy return on both counts..

Some interesting stats on the goals front since Max arrived.  Apart from a hat-trick in Max's first game (against Burntisland), big Al only hit the net twice more including his cracker yesterday.

Marty ended the season as top scorer but a return of 3 goals in 16 games is not going to earn him a new deal.

On a positive note, Nicky Prentice went from 3 goals to 9 goals under Max.

On the matter of Ryan Stevenson, he went from 3 goals in 18 games last season to 8 in 20 this season.  Personally, I like him on the left as he can cut in more and that's how he got the back post winner in the Cup Final.