Deanburn Dave

Bo'ness United 2018/19

Andy Shirra has managed to remain unbeaten during his spell as temp manager.  Let us hope Max can keep that going, when we finally resume playing.

Good turnout last night for Chris Donnelly’s testimonial race night. Players from the past there were Andy Scott, Mark Peat, Gibby ,,Ian Nimmo,Paul McLaren, Rhuari, Roddy and Robert Sloan. 

Well organised by Jennifer, Will, Stuart Hunter (tallest jockey and a heat winner but pipped at the post by a lady in the final)

Good turnout last night for Chris Donnelly’s testimonial race night. Players from the past there were Andy Scott, Mark Peat, Gibby ,,Ian Nimmo,Paul McLaren, Rhuari, Roddy and Robert Sloan. 
Well organised by Jennifer, Will, Stuart Hunter (tallest jockey and a heat winner but pipped at the post by a lady in the final)

Colin Strickland

1 hour ago, John S said:

Colin Allison

Did you take notes.  Saw them  both but didn't  commit to memory  ie forgot. Good night though.

Just now, blooz said:

Was it not Graeme mclaren?

Oops, it was but we were guessing. Scored against us in a Scottish Cup tie 2 - 1 defeat at Bathgate. The Referee was Andrew Dallas. 

Oops, it was but we were guessing. Scored against us in a Scottish Cup tie 2 - 1 defeat at Bathgate. The Referee was Andrew Dallas. 
Oops for me too

Just been having a look through this thread. Lots of interesting stuff especially the older bits from the 50's thru to the 70's and 80's.

A lot of mentions of players who were also at Kilsyth; Jimmy Harrower, went to Liverpool; Gibby Ormond (Airdrie); Eric Sinclair (Dundee) and a few others less well known.

I have a question, I believe our all time top scorer Alex Querrie, had a spell with Bo'ness probably around 1951/2. He worked in BP and went to sea on their merchant fleet for a while before returning and playing for Forth Rangers from whom we signed him in August 1953. Do you have any records of his time with Bo'ness? Appearances, goals scored, etc. I don't think it likely that he could have been with Bo'ness for very long, but any information gratefully received.

1 hour ago, garrellburn said:

Just been having a look through this thread. Lots of interesting stuff especially the older bits from the 50's thru to the 70's and 80's.

A lot of mentions of players who were also at Kilsyth; Jimmy Harrower, went to Liverpool; Gibby Ormond (Airdrie); Eric Sinclair (Dundee) and a few others less well known.

I have a question, I believe our all time top scorer Alex Querrie, had a spell with Bo'ness probably around 1951/2. He worked in BP and went to sea on their merchant fleet for a while before returning and playing for Forth Rangers from whom we signed him in August 1953. Do you have any records of his time with Bo'ness? Appearances, goals scored, etc. I don't think it likely that he could have been with Bo'ness for very long, but any information gratefully received.

Jamboness is your man for that. I think it was season 1949, after Paddy Buckley left for St Johnstone.

Jamboness is your man for that. I think it was season 1949, after Paddy Buckley left for St Johnstone.
Jambo will be on this query like a dog on a sausage.

2 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Alex Querrie joined Bo'ness from Forth Rangers in November 1948 and returned to them in July 1949.  I have him as scoring 24 goals in 25 games.  There are also 5 goals unaccounted for that season that may add further, also 5 games.

16 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Alex Querrie joined Bo'ness from Forth Rangers in November 1948 and returned to them in July 1949.  I have him as scoring 24 goals in 25 games.  There are also 5 goals unaccounted for that season that may add further, also 5 games.

Thanks for that info, quite a bit earlier than I thought. It all adds to his history which I only have in detail for his time at Kilsyth. He scored 260 goals with us in 6 seasons. The next question of course, which will be much harder to answer is how many did he score with Forth Rangers? I know he did have some time at sea so it might not be easy.

He was spotted by Kilsyth towards the end of the 1952-53 season playing for a Stirlingshire select in what I believe was a one-off tournament, possibly the R S McColl trophy. Mostn of the team were Kilsyth players as we had a very decent side that season although it did not compare with the following seasons squad. We did not sign Alex until about six games into the season and already six different players had worn the no 9 jersey. He scored in his first six games and went on to get 60 goals that season, so you can say it was a very good buy. Once again thanks.

6 hours ago, garrellburn said:

Thanks for that info, quite a bit earlier than I thought. It all adds to his history which I only have in detail for his time at Kilsyth. He scored 260 goals with us in 6 seasons. The next question of course, which will be much harder to answer is how many did he score with Forth Rangers? I know he did have some time at sea so it might not be easy.

He was spotted by Kilsyth towards the end of the 1952-53 season playing for a Stirlingshire select in what I believe was a one-off tournament, possibly the R S McColl trophy. Mostn of the team were Kilsyth players as we had a very decent side that season although it did not compare with the following seasons squad. We did not sign Alex until about six games into the season and already six different players had worn the no 9 jersey. He scored in his first six games and went on to get 60 goals that season, so you can say it was a very good buy. Once again thanks.

Doubt if you'll find a Jambo in Grangemouth, but you never know. Good luck in your search.

Chris Donnelly Testimonial

On Sunday the 17th of March a Bo'ness United select will take on a Linlithgow Rose select at Newtown Park. Players from both the past and present day will make up the squads. There will also be a return of familiar faces to take charge of the teams with Allan McGonigal returning to the home dug-out and Jim Sinnet taking charge of the Rose. Friendly match or not, it is sure to be a spectacle with club legends present both on the park and on the touchline.

This will be the last meeting of the clubs before the installation of the new pitch in the Spring and it will be a fitting way to honour the service of our long standing captain.

At half-time there will be teams from both the Bo'ness United Community Club and their Linlithgow Rose counterparts taking part in small-sided games. Always great to see and I'm sure they'll get a warm reception and great memories from the day.

Match ball kindly sponsored by the Bo'ness United Community Club.

What a fitting way to mark a fantastic players career and the end of Newtown Park - Gubbed by Linlithgow again - just for old times sake...!!

6 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

On Sunday the 17th of March a Bo'ness United select will take on a Linlithgow Rose select at Newtown Park. Players from both the past and present day will make up the squads. There will also be a return of familiar faces to take charge of the teams with Allan McGonigal returning to the home dug-out and Jim Sinnet taking charge of the Rose. Friendly match or not, it is sure to be a spectacle with club legends present both on the park and on the touchline.

This will be the last meeting of the clubs before the installation of the new pitch in the Spring and it will be a fitting way to honour the service of our long standing captain.

At half-time there will be teams from both the Bo'ness United Community Club and their Linlithgow Rose counterparts taking part in small-sided games. Always great to see and I'm sure they'll get a warm reception and great memories from the day.

What a fitting way to mark a fantastic players career and the end of Newtown Park - Gubbed by Linlithgow again - just for old times sake...!!

In Chris's time at Bo'ness, the sides have met 26 times on competitive terms.  Bo'ness have Eleven wins to the wee roses's 9.

Old times sake - bollox

In Chris's time at Bo'ness, the sides have met 26 times on competitive terms.  Bo'ness have Eleven wins to the wee roses's 9.
Old times sake - bollox

Auld Dunderheid

7 hours ago, Auld Heid said:

You left an open goal for an easy tap in for Jambo.

3 minutes ago, Auld Heid said:

Aye but how many cup final victories or Scottish cup ties in that number,?

Or title-winning matches?