Bo'ness United 2018/19

We are lucky fans, we witnessed a record win today for the club and not many get that chance.  First half, Dougie was unstoppable, with the  only disappointment being failing to keep a clean-sheet.  Second half and the players got the rewards they've been looking for all season.  The fact that we had seven different scorers shows how much every player was putting in to the game.
Ryan Stevenson had his best game for the club so far, with his header being a majestic goal, never mind the opposition.  Nicky Prentice showed more confidence in a central position in the second half and notched two crackers.
Full credit has to go to Eyemouth though.  They never resorted to dirty tactics and individually they had one or two decent players but you can't put five trialists in a team and expect it to gel.
Not a bad wee start for Max, though the hard work starts next week.

Eyemouth’s wee right back was a hardy wee bugger despite looking about 12 years old! Decent wee player. Credit to him and Eyemouth though, despite some brutal scorelines this season they don’t let their heads go down and keep plugging away.

37 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Feel a bit sorry for Eyemouth.

Everyone else who was taking a doing early in the season has improved massively: just look at some of Arniston, Inverkeithing, Ormiston or even Tweedmouth's recent results. They keep plugging away though, credit for never giving-up.

They’ve had worse points totals

Feel a bit sorry for Eyemouth.

Everyone else who was taking a doing early in the season has improved massively: just look at some of Arniston, Inverkeithing, Ormiston or even Tweedmouth's recent results. They keep plugging away though, credit for never giving-up.
Had Eyemouth parked the bus and tried to waste time at every opportunity they would have kept the score down. I got the impression that their approach was "forget the scoreline and let's try and score a goal". Next season they will be playing more often against sides at their level.

They’ve had worse points totals

Did you make the trek up Heed?

Stevenson was unplayable at times today and scored some good goals and linked up well with josh down the right  and Gemmil had a good game won the ball back quickly to start another attack

Something yesterday that deserves praise was how Chris Donnelly was used and how Bo’ness played through the middle much more than usual. We’ve all been a bit critical when he’s had to play centre forward in the past as most of the long hopeful punts or wild crosses went sailing past him. Yesterday though, albeit against a struggling side, playing the ball on the deck through the middle into his feet with his back to goal brought out the best in Dougie playing as a centre forward. His touch and hold up play was mostly very good and he used his strength to turn their centre half very well. Haven’t seen Bo’ness use a centre forward like that probably since Faddy.

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Did you make the trek up Heed

My away days are long gone pal, took the bairns for a walk instead. I knew this season was going to be bad for EU and I can’t see a big improvement for next season neither 

3 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Did you make the trek up Heed?

Something yesterday that deserves praise was how Chris Donnelly was used and how Bo’ness played through the middle much more than usual. We’ve all been a bit critical when he’s had to play centre forward in the past as most of the long hopeful punts or wild crosses went sailing past him. Yesterday though, albeit against a struggling side, playing the ball on the deck through the middle into his feet with his back to goal brought out the best in Dougie playing as a centre forward. His touch and hold up play was mostly very good and he used his strength to turn their centre half very well. Haven’t seen Bo’ness use a centre forward like that probably since Faddy.

Your right about Chris he is not easily bossed. A few seasons back he was moved up front in a match against Kelty after someone was injured and he bossed one of the best Junior centre half’s at the time Roger Duffin and not many have done that. 

McKenzie and Donnelly through the middle would do for me.

12 minutes ago, boheesian said:

Your right about Chris he is not easily bossed. A few seasons back he was moved up front in a match against Kelty after someone was injured and he bossed one of the best Junior centre half’s at the time Roger Duffin and not many have done that. 

McKenzie and Donnelly through the middle would do for me.

Doubt the goals would come so easily against others.

Doubt the goals would come so easily against others.

Doubt it to but perhaps we’d make and take more chances than we have been by having a strong, back-to-goal forward for the other guys to feed off instead of the usual cross in from wide and nobody on the end of it.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Doubt it to but perhaps we’d make and take more chances than we have been by having a strong, back-to-goal forward for the other guys to feed off instead of the usual cross in from wide and nobody on the end of it.

No doubts there but Prentice fed off well when pushed into middle.

First real test at the helm for Max today and you can't really base anything on the last two games.  One thing though, I am certain we would not have scored 15 under Kegs.

Today is a different ball game and both still feel the hurt of that semi-final earlier in the season.  Max took his Tranent team there earlier in January and came away with a 1 goal win.  That would do me fine.

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

First real test at the helm for Max today and you can't really base anything on the last two games.  One thing though, I am certain we would not have scored 15 under Kegs.

Today is a different ball game and both still feel the hurt of that semi-final earlier in the season.  Max took his Tranent team there earlier in January and came away with a 1 goal win.  That would do me fine.

Maybe 14 under Kegs? You lot hounded the guy out and I'm sure max will do a decent job with what looks like a decent squad but still kegs is getn stick !

Edited by paul999

1 minute ago, paul999 said:

Maybe 14 under Kegs? You lot hounded the guy out and I'm sure max will do a decent job with what looks like a decent squad but still kegs is getn stick !

For a lithgae fan you're awfully concerned about our ex-boss.  For your info, he was never hounded out.  Fans raising concerns is not 'hounding'.  He chose to walk right after the Tranent defeat.

The point I was making, is that with our squad Kegs never quite got the blend right, with tactics, especially subs being questionable.