Bo'ness United 2018/19

Be surprised if Gray and Prentice were at the BU's when the season kicks off. Gray clearly wasn't enjoying the style of football and was constantly bickering with officials. Prentice plays for 20 seconds and then drifts out of games for 20 minutes. Based on last season IMO neither contributes enough to the team on a consistent basis.

Based on our results last season it's more important to stop losing goals so for me the priority should be strengthening that side of our team.

Sent from my XT1039 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Fair doos Sheep. We were told by West based fans about the strengths and weaknesses of these two before they arrived and the qualification was "once they are match sharp".... Well IMO neither player has been putting in enough effort to get that sharpness back.

Mackenzie I would want to stay as he puts in a great shift but as was predicted by the West fans he doesn't score many goals.

Gibb - Tough choice this, as I love his attitude but just not available often enough.  Again passengers not required.

Gray - Slightly controversial as his free-kick goal and dead ball prowess show but he has flattered to deceive.  Challenging Will for 'mouthpiece' award.

Gray clearly wasn't enjoying the style of football and was constantly bickering with officials.

This last year or so Gibby has been available almost every week other than the odd two or three.

Gray has signed for next season and I wouldn’t be letting him go anywhere. The only games Gray didn’t stick out like a sore thumb were the ones where the formation changed and Ryan Stephenson was his centre midfield partner.

A midfield of Gray, with Gemmell and Jacobs in a 4-3-3 is as good as any I’ve seen in recent seasons. Just need the players to play around them.

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

This last year or so Gibby has been available almost every week other than the odd two or three.

Gray has signed for next season and I wouldn’t be letting him go anywhere. The only games Gray didn’t stick out like a sore thumb were the ones where the formation changed and Ryan Stephenson was his centre midfield partner.

A midfield of Gray, with Gemmell and Jacobs in a 4-3-3 is as good as any I’ve seen in recent seasons. Just need the players to play around them.

Gray has skill, undoubtedly, just not 100% convinced over his attitude.  I hope he proves me wrong.

Regarding the midfield three, I would be looking to keep either Jacobs or Gemmell at RB.  I assume Morgan has been signed for the middle.

For me the 4-3-3 formation  was too easily roughed up by the opposition last season. Too many times we were punished on the counterattack because two half decent passes and the opposition striker is bearing down on the BU keeper.   4.-3-3 v the diddy sides but against the top half sides it's better with a solid 4-4-2. 

On 07/06/2018 at 21:44, Deanburn Dave said:

Conference B -

Lothian THV
Tynecastle
Burntisland
Eyemouth
Bonnyrigg
Dundonald
Bo'ness
Sauchie
Haddington
Tranent
Dalkeith
Crossgates
Dunipace

Definitely the league worth watching this season in EOS , could’ve been kinder to you guys but a few teams will take points when unexpected I think , best of luck with the season ahead 

11 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

For me the 4-3-3 formation  was too easily roughed up by the opposition last season. Too many times we were punished on the counterattack because two half decent passes and the opposition striker is bearing down on the BU keeper.   4.-3-3 v the diddy sides but against the top half sides it's better with a solid 4-4-2. 

Spot on. You need pace for that formation and that is something David Gray is not blessed with. However, a pre-season under his belt and decent players around him and who knows. 

Will we be taking advantage of any loan signings this season?  The Hamilton connection has now gone, so no influx from there.

Both Kelly and Stevenson contributed well in the second half of the season, particularly Kelly.

Personally, I'd rather we looked at the 'frees' from SFL sides.  Some decent youngsters to be had, as our history shows and may be more prepared to stay 'senior' than drop to 'junior'.

Spot on. You need pace for that formation and that is something David Gray is not blessed with. However, a pre-season under his belt and decent players around him and who knows. 

Not necessarily in the middle of the park though, much of it is about positioning. Many teams play that way with no real pace in the middle but quick in the wide areas.

Will we be taking advantage of any loan signings this season?  The Hamilton connection has now gone, so no influx from there. Both Kelly and Stevenson contributed well in the second half of the season, particularly Kelly.

Let’s hope not! IMO, the trend of bringing in players on loan has been a big part of our lack of achievements in recent seasons.

Kind of disagree about Stevenson though. Other than a goal against Rutherglen and a couple of fleeting glimpses of ability, I thought he was a passenger 99% of the time, particularly when we were without the ball and chasing the game.

On 08/06/2018 at 11:52, 4everblue said:

28/7,Oakley away,I assume it will be Leith on 1/8,then Jeanfield on 4/8,both home

Swap the Saturday fixtures around

28/7 Jeanfield.H

1/8 Leith.H

4/8 Oakley.A,league cup fixtures

11/8 TWEEDMOUTH.H Alex Jack cup

18/8.Crossgates.H Football Nations cup

5 fixtures and 4 of them at home. But where will "home" be ? i.e. when will we hear more from the NPA about the pitch works start date. Rumours that with the delay for further investigation on the mineworks that it won't start until May 2019. Any update ?

7 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

5 fixtures and 4 of them at home. But where will "home" be ? i.e. when will we hear more from the NPA about the pitch works start date. Rumours that with the delay for further investigation on the mineworks that it won't start until May 2019. Any update ?

Harking back to the NPA meeting a couple of months back, there was a cut-off point for starting the work.  With no confirmation in sight I think it's safe to say we will still be playing on grass next season, which might just be the deciding factor for big Hunts to carry on playing.

Hello BUs, need a wee hand...

I’m planning on coming through to the Jeanfield game on the 28th of July. Seems like I’ll have over an hour to kill afterwards - is there a social club or recommended boozer to head to afterwards?

Edited by Born To Run