Junior Cup Washout in September .. ?

mick90

12 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

Exactly. Only someone who doesn't understand the summertime of a cup draw could suggest such nonsense.

The byes must be in the first round.

Because something has always been done a certain way does mot make it the best way - is there a ruling about byes needing to be round one - the names of rounds could be changed to preliminary - get rid of half the teams (or free them up for league ties) then have the single tie as round one same day as all the round two ties.

I know this sounds naive at first glance but I personally think it could work - just an opinion right enough but we defo need to reduce the amount of Saturdays tied up by the Scottish Cup

Because something has always been done a certain way does mot make it the best way - is there a ruling about byes needing to be round one - the names of rounds could be changed to preliminary - get rid of half the teams (or free them up for league ties) then have the single tie as round one same day as all the round two ties.

I know this sounds naive at first glance but I personally think it could work - just an opinion right enough but we defo need to reduce the amount of Saturdays tied up by the Scottish Cup
It nothing to do with it always having been done that way in the juniors. Rather it doesn't save anything. Having said that I'm all for playing rounds earlier and not scheduling any from November to January.

Assume 130 entries. That means you need two ties and 126 byes. Schedule round one in mid August and round two two weeks later at the end of August. That means that two teams lose an extra league match, but the round scheduled for September would already be the equivalent of that usually played in November (ie last 64). The 4th round could be played in October leaving only 16 for the 5th round in February, quarters in March and semis as usual in April. Personally I also think that holding the semis earlier in April with the final on the early May bank holiday Sunday would also ease the congestion.

I agree  - only difference I would have with your model would be to do round 1 and 2 draws up front and play the "clear" round two ties same day - that way there would only be two round two ties left to play

I agree with the rest of your "schedule" - probably make too much sense though for anyone to take it on board lol

Just for interests sake, when cup competitions started in the late 1800s they did it a different way. Let's say there were 50 entrants they'd play 25 ties then in the next round 12 ties and 1 bye leaving 13 teams. Then it's 6 ties 1 bye then 3 ties 1 bye leaving 4 teams so normal semi and final. However, it wasn't quite so simple. If teams drew twice, home and away, then both teams were allowed to progress. Finally, they sometimes allowed teams to enter at a later stage, like the big Scottish Cup. Queens Park were allowed to enter the English FA Cup at the semi-final stage because of the travelling involved.

It's so much simpler nowadays.

I agree  - only difference I would have with your model would be to do round 1 and 2 draws up front and play the "clear" round two ties same day - that way there would only be two round two ties left to play
I agree with the rest of your "schedule" - probably make too much sense though for anyone to take it on board lol

Yes. That would work.

I would also like to see Rounds drawn in advance eg two rounds drawn at the start and then one ahead. That way games could take on a lot more significance if you could see who you might get in the next round

Archived