West Region summer transfer thread 2018

glensmad

A meadow fan slagging another club about money spent:lol::lol:

After what meadow have spunked in not winning the scottish the last few decades .

Aye those were dark days. 3 league titles, two west of Scotland cups. Numerous Ayrshire, Ardagh and ET cups. 4th round in the Scottish, an away day to the national stadium whilst still upgrading our facilities.

The club weren’t spending it anyway. The money men were and they left us in the shit. Club is run a lot more sustainably nowadays.

I just find it funny that big spending clubs like the Buffs seem to be getting an easy ride for doing pretty much exactly what we were doing. At least we never denied we were spending money.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Jimmy Gentles said:

Agree with this - scullion is great technically in the juniors and stands out - but there are hundreds of scullions in the seniors who would stand out in the juniors . Hes an above average senior whos looking very good in the juniors - doolan, erskine ,longworth,anderson, mckinnon ,imrie etc went the other way and done better than scullion in senior football  on a regular basis .

All about opinions guys and these two are pretty valid. The wee man certainly put a smile on my face on more than a few occasions last season and the news of his signing up again was met with unbridled joy :):) 

5 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

Aye those were dark days. 3 league titles, two west of Scotland cups. Numerous Ayrshire, Ardagh and ET cups. 4th round in the Scottish, an away day to the national stadium whilst still upgrading our facilities.

The club weren’t spending it anyway. The money men were and they left us in the shit. Club is run a lot more sustainably nowadays.

I just find it funny that big spending clubs like the Buffs seem to be getting an easy ride for doing pretty much exactly what we were doing. At least we never denied we were spending money.

Okay, I'll bite.

Where is your evidence that Buffs are big spenders?

Pure speculation on your part?

Buffs are run on a budget. Last season, when we were in a good position in January, a wee bit extra money was provided by a private individual to provide a boost towards the title. History tells us the gamble didnt pay off. That was one off money. Buffs playing budget will be reduced this season, 5 players out, 2 in, doesnt take a genious to work out.

Come off it. You don’t have players with the quality of wardrobe and Fleming playing for peanuts... why else would they be there?

Wardrobe left a promising career at Ayr to play for you, with a massive signing on fee going to him.

Fleming the same, he’s not there to play with his pals or play at a cracking facility.

I’ve nothing against the buffs, I’ve loved our tussles over the years but your total blinkeredness towards the fortune you’re paying these players is just ridiculous, the buffs will have one of the bigger budgets in the league, whether that’s sustainable, we will find out in time.

Nobody will ever pay the wages that meadow paid though back in the day , players were swanning off with between £230 and £300 per week easily , it was obscene and while buffs will be putting decent wages out i wouldnt think the vast majority would be on that , meadow spunked fortunes and werent at all nice with it towards other clubs when they thought it was their given right to get other teams players.

Success came their way through it but they couldnt get the scottish though for all the cash spunked .

Hope Buffs fans are not forgetting cash they spent on players under Allan McLuckie without investing any on the ground. Brought much success but ultimately led to money problems when McLuckie had his fill.

Chris Strain jnr is well liked by players many will sign to play for him for less cash than they could get elsewhere. Buffs seem to have brought in a good few experienced guys and a few young players , it's a balance with wage bills and they seem to be doing pretty well at it.

Ex German exile wait for the back lash from girvan for signing one of there players [emoji16][emoji16]

Looks like there won't be a girvan very soon based on the numerous call offs and not fielding teams. I hope I am wrong though!!

Sad days ahead again for given it seems.. let's hope they don't go for Billy Thompson again.. 🤣

10 hours ago, clash city rocker said:

Hope Buffs fans are not forgetting cash they spent on players under Allan McLuckie without investing any on the ground. Brought much success but ultimately led to money problems when McLuckie had his fill.

Chris Strain jnr is well liked by players many will sign to play for him for less cash than they could get elsewhere. Buffs seem to have brought in a good few experienced guys and a few young players , it's a balance with wage bills and they seem to be doing pretty well at it.

McLuckie was 20 years ago ....

Buffs haven't spent big since the mcluckie days.b lucky if our budget is even in the top 6 of the league.

23 hours ago, ex-german exile said:

Hurlford have completed the signings of David Barron, Alex McWaters and Michael Reilly, who played with Stranraer, Largs Thistle and Girvan respectively last season.

Seen the boy McWaters couple of times flashes of good stuff not sure  if he is premier level!i

On 24/07/2018 at 20:09, ex-german exile said:

Hurlford have completed the signings of David Barron, Alex McWaters and Michael Reilly, who played with Stranraer, Largs Thistle and Girvan respectively last season.

Can you remind me who David Barron is again, I was thinking he was a young lad from Ayr, maybe about 20?

Archived