West Region Championship thread 2018-19

glensmad

2 hours ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

Congratulations on promotion Glens, how do you rate your chances when visiting Talbot, Beith the Polloks etc, or will home form be enough to consolidate life in Premiership next season, be the goal.What do you realistically expect from your team coming up.

It's hard to say at the moment till I see how many of our squad we hold onto and what shape we'll be in.

The last three times we have been promoted to the top league (1998, 2000, 2010) (in whatever formats the leagues were in at the time) we were relegated again the following season.

2010-11 of course was exceptional circumstances, as we lost our management team and almost the entire squad to Petershill only a couple of weeks after winning the Super League Division One, so Willie Harvey had to throw a team together from scratch at only a few weeks' notice to play in the top league in junior football. It was never going to work, and there wasn't a manager in junior football who wold have kept us up that season.

This year will be different, though. While I do expect us to lose a few players (we know the big money clubs are hovering), we hope that the majority of this season's squad will come with us into the Premiership, and we will hopefully add to the squad with a few Premiership standard players.

How will we perform ? Well, you know me, I hate making predictions, especially about my own team. I certainly think we're capable of staying up this time, although I'm conscious that the three teams who are being relegated this season were all promoted last summer (1st, 2nd and 4th).

We take encouragement, though, from the performance of Irvine Meadow, Largs Thistle and Troon who edged us out of the play-off positions last season, and have all stayed up comfortably this season. It's interesting to note that the the teams 3rd, 5th and 6th in last season's Super Division One have all done better than the teams in 1st, 2nd and 4th, with Meadow and Largs finishing in the top half of the table.

Edited by glensmad

The final issue of the season could be settled this weekend, i.e. the final promotion spot.

If Cumbernauld were to win tonight v St Roch's, and were Rossvale to lose to Dalry tomorrow, then Cumbernauld would be promoted.

Conversely, if Cumbernauld fail to win tonight, then Rossvale would be promoted with a win tomorrow.

If both teams win or draw, Rossvale would require to win their last game away to Kello next week to grab the promotion spot.

If Cumbernauld win and Rossvale only draw, Rossvale would need to beat Kello by a cricket score next week to pip Cumbernauld to 3rd place.

8 hours ago, glensmad said:

The final issue of the season could be settled this weekend, i.e. the final promotion spot.

If Cumbernauld were to win tonight v St Roch's, and were Rossvale to lose to Dalry tomorrow, then Cumbernauld would be promoted.

Conversely, if Cumbernauld fail to win tonight, then Rossvale would be promoted with a win tomorrow.

If both teams win or draw, Rossvale would require to win their last game away to Kello next week to grab the promotion spot.

If Cumbernauld win and Rossvale only draw, Rossvale would need to beat Kello by a cricket score next week to pip Cumbernauld to 3rd place.

Rossvale can only blow it now.

Rossvale can only blow it now.

The situation for Rossvale is no different to what it was before last night's win for Cumbernauld.

I saw Rossvale tweeting that they need two wins to be promoted, but a draw today and an eleven-goal winning margin away to Kello next week would also be enough. That's unlikely, though, as Rossvale have not been big scorers this season, their league position is based on having the best defensive record in the league.

A defeat to Dalry today, though, would see it all over and confirm promotion for Cumbernauld.

The situation for Rossvale is no different to what it was before last night's win for Cumbernauld. 
I saw Rossvale tweeting that they need two wins to be promoted, but a draw today and an eleven-goal winning margin away to Kello next week would also be enough. That's unlikely, though, as Rossvale have not been big scorers this season, their league position is based on having the best defensive record in the league.

A defeat to Dalry today, though, would see it all over and confirm promotion for Cumbernauld.

It’s all about today for me.Beat Dalry today and I am more than certain that they will beat Kello to get promoted.It won’t be easy today by any means but I think they will get a win.Rossvale are a very good team on there day.

Rossvale may be firm favourites today but Dalry can only move up one place mid-table if they win so it might just be the best chance for the manager to give a game to all the young unproven lads and who knows what will happen.  C'mon Dalry! Finish in style ..

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

If Rossvale can’t beat Dalry today they don’t deserve to go up.

Dalry Thistle 0 Rossvale 3

So now it's clear cut. If Rossvale beat Kello Rovers next week they would be promoted. Any other result would see Cumbernauld United promoted instead.

It's interesting, Rossvale have had games in hand over everyone for most of the season, hovering in mid table for a long time, but were always promotion candidates and for a while they were title candidates as well. I don't think they have been in the top 3 at any point this season, though. Are they going to time it perfectly by claiming 3rd place in their last game ? Time (and Jim O'Donnell) will tell. [emoji848]

IF Rossvale do get there victory next week then you have to admire their back to back promotions and getting into the top league from their inception about 8 years ago (thats my estimate )

On  a minor budget compared to others and a fanbase mostly made up of parents and few others from the academy .I also think there is one or two boys who have played all the way through from the Rossvale academy .

Edited by holsten

16 minutes ago, holsten said:

IF Rossvale do get there victory next week then you have to admire their back to back promotions and getting into the top league from their inception about 8 years ago (thats my estimate )

On  a minor budget compared to others and a fanbase mostly made up of parents and few others from the academy .I also think there is one or two boys who have played all the way through from the Rossvale academy .

Was just thinking their. I wonder how there feeling they’re chances are of staying up next year if there lucky enough to go up. It’s not easy up their in the top league!

Edited by jimbaxters

1 minute ago, jimbaxters said:

Was just thinking their. I wonder there feeling they’re chances are of staying up next year if there lucky enough to go up. It’s not easy up their in the top league!

I agree and Peasy are classic example this year as they pished the league the year before.I know they gave Hurlford a game this year in Scottish .

My opinion would be they would need to bring in a few  better players .

Just think its great that team spirit and keeping the core of your team through the leagues can win sometimes more than being a club trying to gain promotion by having a  mr splattercash   approach 

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Was just thinking their. I wonder how there feeling they’re chances are of staying up next year if there lucky enough to go up. It’s not easy up their in the top league!

How Rossvale faired in the Cups v top league club’s gives you a hint. 

26 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

A draw at home to Hurlford followed by a narrow 4 - 3 defeat in the reply. Put Pollok out the league Cup section, then lost narrowly to Clydebank 2-1 with a late goal. Out the other cup on pens to Cambuslang. Overall a decent effort. Depends if they can hold on to their better players as well

If we win next week then just to be involved in such a great league is an outstanding achievement.
Yes we will try and create a squad to compete and attempt to stay there the following season.
But no way should anyone find a negative in what we are trying to achieve.

I agree and Peasy are classic example this year as they pished the league the year before.I know they gave Hurlford a game this year in Scottish .
Just think its great that team spirit and keeping the core of your team through the leagues can win sometimes more than being a club trying to gain promotion by having a  mr splattercash   approach 
RE. Darvel. Stick to what your doing and it will pay off.

12 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

12 hours ago, holsten said:

12 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

9 hours ago, ROSS-THISTLE-76 said:

If we win next week then just to be involved in such a great league is an outstanding achievement.
Yes we will try and create a squad to compete and attempt to stay there the following season.
But no way should anyone find a negative in what we are trying to achieve.

A great big whooooosh!