West Region Championship thread 2018-19

glensmad

So here we are going into April tomorrow, and we have a really hot promotion race on our hands.

The top two are neck and neck with only goal difference separating them after 23 games each, while Rossvale can come close up behind if they win all if their games in hand.

Cumbernauld and Arthurlie have some work to do, and yesterday's defeat for Arthurlie may have been a fatal blow for them in terms of promotion.

I personally don't see Benburb dropping many (if any) points between now and the end of the season, given the fixtures they have left.

How do we see things panning out over the next 6 or 7 weeks ?

Irvine vics were robbed yesterday they have some good young players  and would have been good to get a scalp like that for them 
Very impressed with the no.8 who scored the first goal and laid on the second. He troubled us all afternoon when Vics got the ball up to him.

11 hours ago, glensmad said:

So here we are going into April tomorrow, and we have a really hot promotion race on our hands.

The top two are neck and neck with only goal difference separating them after 23 games each, while Rossvale can come close up behind if they win all if their games in hand.

Cumbernauld and Arthurlie have some work to do, and yesterday's defeat for Arthurlie may have been a fatal blow for them in terms of promotion.

I personally don't see Benburb dropping many (if any) points between now and the end of the season, given the fixtures they have left.

How do we see things panning out over the next 6 or 7 weeks ?

On paper.... Benburb have the "easier" looking run in, so would fancy them quite strongly to see it out. Glens have a few tough games, but have points on the board, so again would have to fancy them. I think Arthurlie have gone in the race, I can't see them getting above both Cumbernauld and Rossvale. Rossvale have 2 games in hand which could be the key to the 3rd place. 

If I was betting it, I would go

Benburb

Glencairn

Rossvale

Cumbernauld

Arthurlie

But still plenty of football with twists and turns ahead I am sure

14 minutes ago, DanMan said:

On paper.... Benburb have the "easier" looking run in...

I would tend to agree, but there is always the "home or away" factor, and Benburb have only 2 at home and 5 away games. After their home game v Girvan this Saturday it will be 1 at home and 5 away left to play, and as we found out on Saturday they won't find it easy away to Irvine Victoria.

Rossvale have 3 at home and 7 away, but their only game against the other promotion contenders is away to Glencairn (a week on Saturday).

Glencairn have 4 at home and 3 away, including home games against both Rossvale and Cumbernauld, and after Saturday it will be 4 at home and 2 away.

In Cumbernauld's favour they have 5 at home and 3 away, so they could use that to their advantage to hold on to one of the top three places.

I would tend to agree that the odds are now against Arthurlie with their 3 at home and 3 away, although they have still to play Benburb and Cumbernauld so wins in those games could give them a chance.

I worked out last night that the current threshold for guaranteed promotion is at 70 points, but that will obviously come down a bit as the promotion contenders play each other.

What do we reckon will be the ultimate points required for promotion by the end of the season - 63 or 64 possibly ?

Edited by glensmad

I would tend to agree, but there is always the "home or away" factor, and Benburb have only 2 at home and 5 away games. After their home game v Girvan this Saturday it will be 1 at home and 5 away left to play, and as we found out on Saturday they won't find it easy away to Irvine Victoria.
Rossvale have 3 at home and 7 away, but their only game against the other promotion contenders is away to Glencairn (a week on Saturday).
Glencairn have 4 at home and 3 away, including home games against both Rossvale and Cumbernauld, and after Saturday it will be 4 at home and 2 away.
In Cumbernauld's favour they have 5 at home and 3 away, so they could use that to their advantage to hold on to one of the top three places.
I would tend to agree that the odds are now against Arthurlie with their 3 at home and 3 away, although they have still to play Benburb and Cumbernauld so wins in those games could give them a chance.
I worked out last night that the current threshold for guaranteed promotion is at 70 points, but that will obviously come down a bit as the promotion contenders play each other.
What do we reckon will be the ultimate points required for promotion by the end of the season - 63 or 64 possibly ?
We have Cumbernauld and Rossvale to play at home and Glencairn away so I think we will have a wee say in who goes up

21 minutes ago, Satori. said:

Arthurlie out of the race but still got Cumbernauld away and Benburb at home. St. Rochs capable of winning both their home games against Nauld and Rossvale. Fascinating end to the season.

I'm not sure that Arthurlie are completely out of it quite yet, but they certainly can't afford any more slip-ups. Six wins would take them to 63 points which might just be enough, considering they would be taking points off Cumbernauld on the way there.

2 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

If Candy can get 3 wins and secure our place in the championship then of course some games may end up with a pre season friendly feel but not Rossvale that will be a cracker and we will be desperate to turn them over well us supporters anyway .

Lol, you don't need to worry about St Roch's going down, I can't see Girvan getting any more than 10 points from their remaining 9 games.

8 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:
10 minutes ago, glensmad said:
Lol, you don't need to worry about St Roch's going down, I can't see Girvan getting any more than 10 points from their remaining 9 games.

Nothing is taken for granted until it's not mathematical possible Peter as football has a habit of kicking ye in the nadgers when you least expect it

I can understand that, I'm a bit like that myself.

4 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

If Candy can get 3 wins and secure our place in the championship then of course some games may end up with a pre season friendly feel but not Rossvale that will be a cracker and we will be desperate to turn them over well us supporters anyway .

Ur safe already mate 

5 hours ago, glensmad said:

I'm not sure that Arthurlie are completely out of it quite yet, but they certainly can't afford any more slip-ups. Six wins would take them to 63 points which might just be enough, considering they would be taking points off Cumbernauld on the way there.

Arthurlie are only 2 points ahead of Rossvale, but have played 4 games more. I cant see them finishing ahead of both Rossvale and Cumbernauld. 

1 hour ago, PatnaDunty said:

Think we need 4 points and that’s us safe.
Pump it up. The mark are staying up.
What’s that sound Girvan going down.

I'll tell you what, only five points between you and Girvan with 9 games left to play each ?

I wouldn't be so cocky at this stage if I was you.

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I'll tell you what, only five points between you and Girvan with 9 games left to play each ?

4 minutes ago, glensmad said:

3 of Girvan's games are away to Benburb, Cumbernauld & Rossvale. You would be surprised if they pick many points up from those 3 games. To date they have only won 3 from 21, I would not be putting any money on Girvan to stay up. If they get out of it then fair play to them.

1 hour ago, combineharvester said:

Not been on in while since not had game in yonks lol 

So far we hv taken points off all the top 5 bar the bens and still hv to play 4 of top 5 again...... hope our season doesn’t fizzle out tho which is alsways a risk when safe at this end of season 

Neilston have had a decent season, comfortably mid table and never ever in any threat of relegation.

35 points from 23 games would have seen you safe even in the old cut-throat 26-game league of last season with four teams relegated. The new 30-game 16-team league has taken quite a lot of the cut-throat nature from the league, but Neilston would still have been well safe under the old set-up.