West Region Championship thread 2018-19

glensmad

I saw this theory on the Premiership relegation thread, and thought it was a useful non-scientific way of working out what might be the promotion threshold.

Glencairn have been in this league for 8 of the past 9 nine seasons, under a 26-game set-up.

During those 8 seasons, the highest points total for the 3rd place team was 53 points (2015-16). Divide 53 by 26 games, and multiply that by 30 games, and that would give you 62 points for promotion this season.

As I've said, it's non-scientific, and there are other factors built in this season like the bottom three losing a lot of games and consequentially the promotion contenders getting more points. But it does give some sort of indication of what may be required, from the highest points total for third place over the past decade.

The average points total of the 3rd placed teams over those same years is 48.25 points, which would equate to 56 points for promotion over 30 games.

The lowest points total of the 3rd placed teams over those same years is 45 points (seasons 2009-10, 2011-12 and 2012-13). That would equate to 52 points for promotion.

Make of the above whatever you want, it really is only just me playing with statistics, as each season is different, but it perhaps gives some sort of indication of what might be required.

What is significant to note, though, is that Benburb have already passed the highest points total for 3rd place over 26 games, and they have only played 22 games. Also, Glencairn are already above the average points total for 3rd place over 26 games, and we have only played 21 games. It would be particularly irritating to beat all these historical milestones of the past decade but still fail to get promoted. I think I'd just go and watch ice hockey if that happened.....

Edited by glensmad

36 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I saw this theory on the Premiership relegation thread, and thought it was a useful non-scientific way of working out what might be the promotion threshold.

Glencairn have been in this league for 8 of the past 9 nine seasons, under a 26-game set-up.

During those 8 seasons, the highest points total for the 3rd place team was 53 points (2015-16). Divide 53 by 26 games, and multiply that by 30 games, and that would give you 62 points for promotion this season.

As I've said, it's non-scientific, and there are other factors built in this season like the bottom three losing a lot of games and consequntially the promotion contenders getting more points. But it does give some sort of indication of what may be required, from the highest points total for third place over the past decade.

The average points total of the 3rd placed teams over those same years is 48.25 points, which would equate to 56 points for promotion over 30 games.

The lowest points total of the 3rd placed teams over those same years is 45 points (seasons 2009-10, 2011-12 and 2012-13). That would equate to 52 points for promotion.

Make of the above whatever you want, it really is only just me playing with statistics, as each season is different, but it perhaps gives some sort of indication of what might be required.

What is significant to note, though, is that Benburb have already passed the highest points total for 3rd place over 26 games, and they have only played 22 games. Also, Glencairn are already above the average points total for 3rd place over 26 games, and we have only played 21 games. It would be particularly irritating to beat all these historical milestones of the past decade but still fail to get promoted. I think I'd just go and watch ice hockey if that happened.....

That would be an interesting thread lol

13 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

...can glensmad post up the weekend fixtures

:rolleyes: I thought glenco had taken over this gig, but hey ho. :P

Saturday's fixtures :-

Arthurlie (3rd) v Kilsyth Rangers (7th)

Darvel Juniors (10th) v Kello Rovers (15th)

Irvine Victoria (12th) v Girvan (14th)

Larkhall Thistle (16th) v Craigmark Burntonians (13th)

Neilston Juniors (8th) v Rutherglen Glencairn (2nd)

St Roch's (11th) v Cumbernauld United (4th)

Whitletts Victoria (5th) v Rossvale (6th)

Your thoughts ?

50 minutes ago, glensmad said:

:rolleyes: I thought glenco had taken over this gig, but hey ho. :P

Your thoughts ?

That was clever....until you said hey ho!

:rolleyes: I thought glenco had taken over this gig, but hey ho. [emoji14]
Your thoughts ?

Home

Home

Draw

Away

Away

Draw

Home

didn't want needle you by taking your thread glensmad but my predictions are as follows  Arthurlie (3) v Kilsyth Rangers (1)✓
Darvel Juniors (2) v Kello Rovers (0)
Irvine Victoria (2) v Girvan (0)
Larkhall Thistle (3) v Craigmark Burntonians (1)
Neilston Juniors (1) v Rutherglen Glencairn (2)✓
St Roch's (1) v Cumbernauld United (1)✓
Whitletts Victoria (2) v Rossvale (0)✓  the pack loses ground

3 minutes ago, glenco said:

didn't want needle you by taking your thread glensmad but my predictions are as follows  Arthurlie (3) v Kilsyth Rangers (1)✓
Darvel Juniors (2) v Kello Rovers (0)
Irvine Victoria (2) v Girvan (0)
Larkhall Thistle (3) v Craigmark Burntonians (1)
Neilston Juniors (1) v Rutherglen Glencairn (2)✓
St Roch's (1) v Cumbernauld United (1)✓
Whitletts Victoria (2) v Rossvale (0)✓  the pack loses ground

That would make for a very good afternoon for us, here's hoping.

I can't see Rossvale losing at Whitletts, though. After losing two games in a row they really can't afford to lose a third.

Arthurlie v Kilsyth should be a cracker with imo the best two strike forces in the league going head to head so with that in mind goals a plenty 4-2 Arthurlie

Irvine meet Girvan and both teams need the points but I suspect the Vic's will be too strong on the day 3-1

Darvel with suspensions and a weekend away planned for the first team could result in a shock and Kello to keep there survival hopes alive 0-1 Kello

Inform Larkhall will also be looking to keep there survival hopes alive and I'm goiñg 2-1 to the Thistle

A tough game for promotion hopefuls Glencairn against Neilston and I fancy the hosts to take a point 2-2

The candy face the best footballing side in the division imo but I think our pitch will be a great leveller and the candy will take another step closer to confirming there place in next season's championship 2-1 Candy

Rossvale will be looking to bounce back from back to back defeats in recent weeks against Whitletts and I fully expect them to do so in style 1-4 to the noisy neighbours

Arthurlie v Kilsyth should be a cracker with imo the best two strike forces in the league going head to head...

There are two teams who have scored more goals than both of them from fewer games. But you're entitled to your opinion. [emoji106]