West Region Championship thread 2018-19

glensmad

20 minutes ago, 21stcenturyboy said:

There are 15 West Cup ties on Saturday mate

Yes, but there are also Premiership and Championship games which usually have assistant referees. There simply aren't enough to cover all of the cup ties, but I think if you look at the list the games without assistants are the ones hosted by League One and League Two clubs, with the exception of Craigmark who seem to regularly have no assistants (presumably due to a travelling issue).

Before Saturday Larky had lost five out of the last seven games by a single goal, and in some of these games deserved to get something out of them, however to go to Kilsyth who's home record is exceptional minus a goalkeeper and two out of the back four missing for starters was always a big ask.  They do not have any depth in the squad so when a number of players are missing  they have players covering these areas and with all due respect jersey fillers making up the team. They competed very well until the penalty followed by a quick third that killed the game and the inevitable collapse happened.
Was it a blip ? or a return to the horrors at the start of the season ? If everyone is fit and available then I'm pretty confident it was a blip, albeit not a pleasant one.
No one want's to see a famous old club like larky struggling Benny Factor , people got a bit defensive on our side cos this real dembele character said we weren't that great ? And with the greatest respect u don't slag off the other team after being on the end of a 9-1 drubbing do u ?
Thought larky made a decent fist off it in the 1st half but obviously when they lost a few goals in 2nd half the heads went down
Thought larky knocked the ball about well in the 1st half and had a few decent players , i liked the left back .
I genualy hope u regroup and come back stronger [emoji6]

6 cup games on Saturday with no linesmen
Is it a lack of officials or clubs not requiring them ?
With the current levels of abuse directed at officials at all levels of the game then I can only see it become harder to attract new officials into the game.
Sadly no assistants will become the norm which in turn makes the referees job harder. This will lead more abuse as they invariably get split decisions wrong.
I fear that it may not be long till games are cancelled due to lack of officials.

10 minutes ago, ski64 said:

With the current levels of abuse directed at officials at all levels of the game then I can only see it become harder to attract new officials into the game.
Sadly no assistants will become the norm which in turn makes the referees job harder. This will lead more abuse as they invariably get split decisions wrong.
I fear that it may not be long till games are cancelled due to lack of officials.

Or the police being unable to provide a presence at certain games??

Possibly, which quite frankly is ridiculous that officials need that level of protection at any level of football.
It seems to me your more interested in the case of John beaton rather than junior football I wonder why wee Willie collum never received the level of support when a certain club went after him and he has not been allocated one of there games since.

I would say the media have a wee agenda regarding this but anyway I digress I'm sure if you meant cambuslang you could discussion your concerns on the west region premiership thread which would be more relevant

It seems to me your more interested in the case of John beaton rather than junior football I wonder why wee Willie collum never received the level of support when a certain club went after him and he has not been allocated one of there games since.I would say the media have a wee agenda regarding this but anyway I digress I'm sure if you meant cambuslang you could discussion your concerns on the west region premiership thread which would be more relevant

I haven't mentioned John Beaton so you are making an assumption based on who knows what.
As for the Cambuslang situation, I couldn't comment on that as I know very little about it.
My point is, and it's based a combination of things, including posts on here regarding matches not having assistants as well as some amateur and youth games struggling to get officials, there is a reduction in the number of people taking up the role and there is no doubt recent events and media scrutiny will do nothing to encourage anyone to become a ref.
If you want to read something else into my comments that's your choice.

5 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

It seems to me your more interested in the case of John beaton rather than junior football I wonder why wee Willie collum never received the level of support when a certain club went after him and he has not been allocated one of there games since.

I would say the media have a wee agenda regarding this but anyway I digress I'm sure if you meant cambuslang you could discussion your concerns on the west region premiership thread which would be more relevant

I don't get that response at all. The poster was pointing out a reality of the game at Junior level. Officiating at a match is a thankless task anyway but when you're under threat of physical harm then it's beyond the pale.

Biggest game of season this weekend for neilston as we host girvan ... long way to go but feel  if wee get the win should pretty much keep us in division  give us gd healthy gap between us and bottom 3 so fingers crossed

and after that hopefully team can maybe be relax a bit ... some of our games this season a feel we hv been really decent but others we hv been absolute rank rotten jist no consistency 

10 minutes ago, combineharvester said:

Biggest game of season this weekend for neilston as we host girvan ... long way to go but feel  if wee get the win should pretty much keep us in division  give us gd healthy gap between us and bottom 3 so fingers crossed

and after that hopefully team can maybe be relax a bit ... some of our games this season a feel we hv been really decent but others we hv been absolute rank rotten jist no consistency 

I think you already have enough points in the bag tbh, even if you don't pick up another point, which you undoubtedly will. I can't see the bottom changing between now and May 

I haven't mentioned John Beaton so you are making an assumption based on who knows what.
As for the Cambuslang situation, I couldn't comment on that as I know very little about it.
My point is, and it's based a combination of things, including posts on here regarding matches not having assistants as well as some amateur and youth games struggling to get officials, there is a reduction in the number of people taking up the role and there is no doubt recent events and media scrutiny will do nothing to encourage anyone to become a ref.
If you want to read something else into my comments that's your choice.
Other than the alleged incident involving cambuslang I can't recall any other in the junior game so it led me too believe your view was formed with recent events in the professional game.
Your not the first I have heard in the junior game talking about respect and safety of referee's since the aforementioned game a couple of weeks ago at Ibrox.
But for me there is no issue in the junior game as yes refs get a bit of verbal but that's the nature of the game and they get that the world over .
For me the bigger issue and the lack of officials is due to age as the juniors seem full of kids making there way up the ladder and certainly not enough older Officials that's for me not about abuse or safety but that the sfa cut off/retirement age for Officials is far too young .

17 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:

No one want's to see a famous old club like larky struggling Benny Factor , people got a bit defensive on our side cos this real dembele character said we weren't that great ? And with the greatest respect u don't slag off the other team after being on the end of a 9-1 drubbing do u ?
Thought larky made a decent fist off it in the 1st half but obviously when they lost a few goals in 2nd half the heads went down
Thought larky knocked the ball about well in the 1st half and had a few decent players , i liked the left back .
I genualy hope u regroup and come back stronger emoji6.png

Cheers for that. The left back you like normally plays in a forward role, hence the lack of depth in the squad and with the regular back four in place him and a couple of others wouldn't have  to  play in a role that stifles their natural game.

Other than the alleged incident involving cambuslang I can't recall any other in the junior game so it led me too believe your view was formed with recent events in the professional game.

Your not the first I have heard in the junior game talking about respect and safety of referee's since the aforementioned game a couple of weeks ago at Ibrox.

But for me there is no issue in the junior game as yes refs get a bit of verbal but that's the nature of the game and they get that the world over .

For me the bigger issue and the lack of officials is due to age as the juniors seem full of kids making there way up the ladder and certainly not enough older Officials that's for me not about abuse or safety but that the sfa cut off/retirement age for Officials is far too young .

I think recent events have brought things to the fore , but there is no doubt that officials are subject to abuse at all levels of the game. You say that verbals is in the nature of the game but sadly the extent of it the content of it and the intimidation it creates doesn't encourage anyone to become a ref or assistant.

Pundits, professionals and managers think nothing of hammering officials to deflect attention from their own incompetence. Yes they all make mistakes and of course it's an emotional game and people get caught up with excitement and can be abusive that's understandable but there is a growing undercurrent of criticism at all turns.

You mentioned younger officials being moved on into juniors, one of the reasons for this may well be the retirement age of officials however it is also due to an overall reduction in numbers.

I regularly watch both amateur and youth football and the abuse from coaches players and parents to refs is ridiculous, often at officials who are starting out whether they are young kids or ex players. An increasing number of them give up early due to this.

The behaviour is almost seen as part and parcel of the game which is frankly ridiculous.

Make no mistake the juniors will in time suffer due to a lack of officials and even pushing those on who may not be ready as they need bodies. In fact one recent recruitment drive in SW region attracted zero new refs to their training scheme.

Btw I am no saint when it comes to criticism of officials when they make a mistake but I do fear where the game is heading if things do not improve.

I think recent events have brought things to the fore , but there is no doubt that officials are subject to abuse at all levels of the game. You say that verbals is in the nature of the game but sadly the extent of it the content of it and the intimidation it creates doesn't encourage anyone to become a ref or assistant.
Pundits, professionals and managers think nothing of hammering officials to deflect attention from their own incompetence. Yes they all make mistakes and of course it's an emotional game and people get caught up with excitement and can be abusive that's understandable but there is a growing undercurrent of criticism at all turns.
You mentioned younger officials being moved on into juniors, one of the reasons for this may well be the retirement age of officials however it is also due to an overall reduction in numbers.
I regularly what both amateur and youth football and the abuse from coaches players and parents to refs is ridiculous, often at officials who are starting out whether they are young kids or ex players. An increasing number of them give up early due to this.
The behaviour is almost seen as part and parcel of the game which is frankly ridiculous.
Make no mistake the juniors will in time suffer due to a lack of officials and even pushing those on who may not be ready as they need bodies. In fact one recent recruitment drive in SW region attracted zero new refs to their training scheme.
Btw I am no saint when it comes to criticism of officials when they make a mistake but I do fear where the game is heading if things do not improve.
I think it's an over reaction and blown well out of proportion tbh and too many folk have bought tickets for the old bandwagon express

I think it's an over reaction and blown well out of proportion tbh and too many folk have bought tickets for the old bandwagon express
I'm not sure it's an over reaction to what is becoming an increasingly worrying situation.

I suppose only time will tell what impact it may have on the juniors and indeed football in general.

I would rather express concerns now than wait till games are affected.

If we want better officials we need an improvement in the sport to attract more officials. By default if we have a larger pool of refs it should mean we have a greater chance of them being given time at appropriate levels to learn the game. This would also allow for assistants at all junior matches.

Edit.

I do appreciate that there would be a cost to additional assistants that may be restrictive.

7 hours ago, combineharvester said:

I agree with DanMan , Neilston have enough points.   They were poor against us last week but they are a better team than Girvan so should take maximum points.  

13 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:
14 hours ago, ski64 said:
I regularly what both amateur and youth football and the abuse from coaches players and parents to refs is ridiculous, often at officials who are starting out whether they are young kids or ex players. An increasing number of them give up early due to this.

So which part of what ski64 has said do you disagree with then gotw? Football gets referred to as the "beautiful game" but there's nothing less beautiful than seeing fans behaviour at matches, whether that be on the telly when the ball goes out for a throw and the opposition player taking the throw gets met with an array of hand gestures or at a local match where grown men with wee boys standing beside them call linesmen all the b's and c's of the day from six feet away.

At a junior match everything is audible. Why officials do it, I have no idea. I know I hate it when I ref a boys game. Ergo the number of officials will reduce.

On 22/10/2018 at 21:01, iPhone said:

More points on the board than Darvel. 

Short holiday,  was it the food you were missing? They obviously didn’t do Kilmarnock pies where ever you were!

On 22/10/2018 at 21:13, Darvel legend said:

But u won’t have come may daftie but enjoy it just now you are doing just fine 

Are you still standing by this?