West Region Championship thread 2018-19

glensmad

Be a tough one for McBookie to price up I would think. Looking forward to seeing how they see it. Last year in the Central 1st they only managed to get 2 of the promoted teams in the top 8 of the betting
Again on paper looks a really hard league to call. I personally think that once the dust settles by mid point of the fixtures, that Glencairn, Larkhall, Cumbernauld and Rossvale, will be battling for the 3 promotion spots. There doesn't seem much between the rest with new management and squads in place, but could be a few surprises sprung. I don't include us in that and will be happy if we stay up as I don't see us as promotion contenders at this early stage. However doesn't stop the excitement building with new places to visit.
T

3 hours ago, tombo said:

Again on paper looks a really hard league to call. I personally think that once the dust settles by mid point of the fixtures, that Glencairn, Larkhall, Cumbernauld and Rossvale, will be battling for the 3 promotion spots. There doesn't seem much between the rest with new management and squads in place, but could be a few surprises sprung. I don't include us in that and will be happy if we stay up as I don't see us as promotion contenders at this early stage. However doesn't stop the excitement building with new places to visit.
T

Hope the bookies agree with u tombo 

4 minutes ago, tombo said:

I think you will get good odds on your own mob, as I just don't see any stick out favourites, DL.
What's your own thoughts?

Glencairn look strong and Cumbernauld Rossvale seem confident but we have kept our good players and added experience in Ross chisholm, Ricky Hanvey , Paul Hewitt and Dale Shirkie with another 2 or 3 to come in , I don’t think we will be far away this season but as always there will be tough games every week 

You can't really tell who is strong and who is not until the games start. We have made what appear to be some very good signings but we haven't kicked a ball yet, so there'll be no bold predictions from our end. We expected to be strong enough for top 6 at least last season with the squad we had, but it didn't happen.

1 minute ago, glensmad said:

You can't really tell who is strong and who is not until the games start. We have made what appear to be some very good signings but we haven't kicked a ball yet, so there'll be no bold predictions from our end. We expected to be strong enough for top 6 at least last season with the squad we had, but it didn't happen.

Aye ok if someone said black ud say white 

let’s just say I’m looking  forward to this season more than any other as we have another 2 or 3 to get over the line yet and we will be very competitive 

Guys, one thing for sure about this season is that it shouldn't be quite predictable as some of the previous ones. There is a lot to be excited about, with most teams bringing in new personnel, albeit some having to start afresh. I agree with DL to a point about Glencairn, and Cumbernauld, to some extent,in the fact that you survived in the old superleague for so many seasons, but just fell short of making the step up in the restructure. Whatever happens, I am looking forward to it.
T

Surprised no one has mentioned Arthurlie. I hope the regain some past glories and get up there again.  Rx
Arthurlie are an unknown quantity at the moment. They could be challengers, but until we see their squad it's hard to tell.

46 minutes ago, tombo said:

Guys, one thing for sure about this season is that it shouldn't be quite predictable as some of the previous ones. There is a lot to be excited about, with most teams bringing in new personnel, albeit some having to start afresh. I agree with DL to a point about Glencairn, and Cumbernauld, to some extent,in the fact that you survived in the old superleague for so many seasons, but just fell short of making the step up in the restructure. Whatever happens, I am looking forward to it.
T

tombo u cannae agree with me thats no allowed on here ha

Whitletts have re-signed all off last seasons squad and added two young boys from Saltcoats with more to come. Im hoping keeping the same squad can maybe give us a decent start while some teams are trying to get a lot of signings to gel. Mid table would do me, but George is an ambitious guy so might be aiming higher

Think Whitletts will struggle if they are basically last years squad 
Came fourth in a poor ADL and then needed ringers to beat a team who had only won 2 games all season in the play offs. Rx

Ringers?? Care to explain?

Did  you not follow the play off thread. Every team in the playoffs played non contracted players in the two games. 

Non contracted is a nice way of saying ringers. 

Are non contracted players not allowed to play in the play offs?? I believe they are providing they haven’t played with a junior team that season. Playing a ringer means you broke the rules or cheated. I think it’s fair to say that Whitletts nor Maryhill broke the rules or cheated in the play off.

Think Whitletts will struggle if they are basically last years squad 
Came fourth in a poor ADL and then needed ringers to beat a team who had only won 2 games all season in the play offs. Rx

Take away 1st half of season, when we were terrible, we finished season with 10 wins and 3 draws after George came in. I hope everyone has the same opinion as you and underestimates us [emoji12]

Love people who answer their own questions. 
You use the word cheated, I didn’t so don’t  allude that.
I used the word ringer and my understanding of that is “ using a player who is not contracted to a club to gain an advantage as the players you have are not deemed good enough to achieve your goal”  the debate about the rights and wrongs of the play offs where long and vociferous but just because both teams used “trialists “ doesn’t make it right and I’m my opinion is not in the spirit of the game. 
Now that the precedent has been set my fear is that money will determine sporting success  

So your definition of a ringer only applies to this situation and no other? I’m sure most people would agree that a ringer refers to people who are not allowed to play under the circumstances which they play in ie player under someone else’s name for example. The players that played in the playoff teams didn’t do this! The be in the spirit of the game you adhere to the laws of the game. That was done in this situation. On your last point money almost always determines sporting success especially at this level. You would be very naive to think otherwise.

4 hours ago, spud4 said:

So your definition of a ringer only applies to this situation and no other? I’m sure most people would agree that a ringer refers to people who are not allowed to play under the circumstances which they play in ie player under someone else’s name for example. The players that played in the playoff teams didn’t do this! The be in the spirit of the game you adhere to the laws of the game. That was done in this situation. On your last point money almost always determines sporting success especially at this level. You would be very naive to think otherwise.

At all levels mate?