Early league predictions

On 7/30/2018 at 20:29, Ross Forbes said:

Decided to do something a little bit different. Instead of predicting what might happen I've written exactly what does happen. It initially started as a post on here, but it got far too big - so I've planted it on my website.

I should point out that the first four sections were written before the weekend...so I think we've already lost our pre-season optimism. As always, if I've made any typos (however glaring) please publicly shame me.

http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/what-definitely-happens-in-scottish-league-one

Bumpety bump. Anyone want to have a bit of fun going through this? I think, DFC in 2nd, East Fife 9th and Montrose 7th aside, I've done alright...I've even managed to predict how many games Brechin will win - even if I did have them as staying up.

Bumpety bump. Anyone want to have a bit of fun going through this? I think, DFC in 2nd, East Fife 9th and Montrose 7th aside, I've done alright...I've even managed to predict how many games Brechin will win - even if I did have them as staying up.
You're absolutely on the money with what Forfar fans say about Easton!

6 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:
13 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

You're absolutely on the money with what Forfar fans say about Easton!

:lol: Yas! 

Typical arrogant Rovers supporter. You think you can take 12 points off us even though you don't have enough players for a full team?
10's more realistic in that scenario.
I'm looking forward to Raith fucking up the play offs and taking another 12 points of us next season! 400k in debt and rising each week, doing not too badly in the diddy league I see. [emoji108]

4 hours ago, EFFC1938 said:

I'm looking forward to Raith fucking up the play offs and taking another 12 points of us next season! 400k in debt and rising each week, doing not too badly in the diddy league I see. emoji108.png

If East Fife spent £400k maybe they’d

make the play-offs. Maybe.

25 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:
27 minutes ago, Silverton End said:
The Top Two emoji38.png:1eye

*backpedals furiously *

Must have been high on glue that day.

Not touched a tube of Bostik in over 30 years.

Guess I was sucked in by the Rory Loy signing, no explanation for Brechin in 2nd place though

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:05, Chapelhall chap said:

Top four as minimum but it is a bit early to predict and anyway I was rubbish at predicting last season-I blame the chaos. Look better organised and more goals look likely so I am optimistic. I think the top four will be Airdrie/Raith/Arbroath and beyond that it all depends on the starting squads on day 1.  Like last season I don't think anyone will be doomed until the last few weeks.

Checking back tonight so I got two right and well wrong with our status. I also did call how tight it would be at bottom end but never thought it would feature us and Dumbarton for so long. 

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:44, Chapelhall chap said:

Here goes; 

1  Raith

2 Airdrie

3 Arbroath

4 Dumbarton

5 Stranraer

6 Montrose

7 Forfar

8 East Fife

9 Brechin

10 Stenhousemuir

Looking forward to seeing how unpredictable it will all be.

Just found my second guess. I did say my predictions were usually naff, so I want to say how much I enjoy seeing the guys on "View from the terrace" get theirs wrong. I got the bottom two correct but unpredictable sides, apart from Arbroath, has been the feature of this season. I think Arbroath were clearly able to build on last season and were absolutely the best side, and just as good as other Champions over the last decade.

On 13/07/2018 at 13:38, bernardblack said:

have Dumbarton increased their squad numbers yet?

Arbroath to win the league for me

Brechin to go down again

Montrose top 4

Everyone else, who knows!

Thats a pretty good prediction there in a league that is only consistent in its inconsistency.

Just found my second guess. I did say my predictions were usually naff, so I want to say how much I enjoy seeing the guys on "View from the terrace" get theirs wrong. I got the bottom two correct but unpredictable sides, apart from Arbroath, has been the feature of this season. I think Arbroath were clearly able to build on last season and were absolutely the best side, and just as good as other Champions over the last decade.

It's sad that we've totally taken our foot off the gas since we beat Raith in Kirkcaldy. If we carried on with the same team, players and attitude we had first half of season we really could've set a very high points total.

49 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It's sad that we've totally taken our foot off the gas since we beat Raith in Kirkcaldy. If we carried on with the same team, players and attitude we had first half of season we really could've set a very high points total.

Just because you keep saying that doesn’t make it true.

Ahead of the game in Kirkcaldy you had won 2 out of your last 6 (against Brechin and Stenny). The drop off in form started before that game in Kirkcaldy. I don’t see why you need to keep trying to peddle the myth that your form has only dropped off after that game.

Arbroath are absolutely worthy winners of the league but were never going to be able to keep up the level of consistency shown in the first half of the season. The current points tally is a fair reflection on the quality of the Arbroath side both in respect of their dominance over the rest of the league and how they compare to previous winners.

Edited by R.R.FC

Guest bernardblack
Thats a pretty good prediction there in a league that is only consistent in its inconsistency.

Cheers...I’d forgotten about this post!!

Just because you keep saying that doesn’t make it true.

Ahead of the game in Kirkcaldy you had won 2 out of your last 6 (against Brechin and Stenny). The drop off in form started before that game in Kirkcaldy. I don’t see why you need to keep trying to peddle the myth that your form has only dropped off after that game.

Arbroath are absolutely worthy winners of the league but were never going to be able to keep up the level of consistency shown in the first half of the season. The current points tally is a fair reflection on the quality of the Arbroath side both in respect of their dominance over the rest of the league and how they compare to previous winners.

Drastically dropped off after that game. Note I said the first half of the season. I believe if we'd kept with McKenna and Wallace upfront and never fucked about with that team then we would've kept that consistency up. There is a direct correlation between them 2 not being partners uptop and our results dipping. It happened after Stranraer at home in the Scottish cup where we pumped them but couldn't score.... Doris returned and got more game time and the two uptop changed weekly. Spence and Donnelly were then added a few weeks later and it happened even more.

It was extremely obvious if you had been watching us every week and many commented on it at the time.

So yeah, I believe we could've set a very high points tally if we'd kept the same team and attitude.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Drastically dropped off after that game. Note I said the first half of the season. I believe if we'd kept with McKenna and Wallace upfront and never fucked about with that team then we would've kept that consistency up. There is a direct correlation between them 2 not being partners uptop and our results dipping. It happened after Stranraer at home in the Scottish cup where we pumped them but couldn't score.... Doris returned and got more game time and the two uptop changed weekly. Spence and Donnelly were then added a few weeks later and it happened even more.

It was extremely obvious if you had been watching us every week and many commented on it at the time.

So yeah, I believe we could've set a very high points tally if we'd kept the same team and attitude.

There is no way you would have kept up your form prior to the Rovers game at Gayfield for the full season. Regardless of who you played up front. Your run to that point was spectacular and won you the league but in a relatively evenly matched league that level of consistency could never be maintained. Look at East Fife from the first half of the season to now. 

You had 45 points after 17 games, if you kept that going all season you would have reached almost 100 points which would give you more than the Dunfermline side that romped the league and on par with QOS and Rangers. Without being disrespectful to the current Arbroath side, they aren’t on that level. As I said previously, the current points total is a fair reflection on Arbroath and how they compare to the rest of the league and previous champions.

Edited by R.R.FC

There is no way you would have kept up your form prior to the Rovers game at Gayfield for the full season. Regardless of who you played up front. Your run to that point was spectacular and won you the league but in a relatively evenly matched league that level of consistency could never be maintained. Look at East Fife from the first half of the season to now. 
You had 45 points after 17 games, if you kept that going all season you would have reached almost 100 points which would give you more than the Dunfermline side that romped the league and on par with QOS and Rangers. Without being disrespectful to the current Arbroath side, they aren’t on that level. As I said previously, the current points total is a fair reflection on Arbroath and how they compare to the rest of the league and previous champions.

I never said it would have been exactly the same. But we'd have a lot more points than we do now that's for sure.

On 17/07/2018 at 09:11, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I've held off making these predictions until I've seen a a few signings so here goes....

1. Dumbarton - impressive signings, decent manager, they'll set the pace early and go on a consistent run of results at some point.

2. Arbroath - The core of last years group, knowing each other inside out, and with Doris back like a new signing, they'll run Dumbarton close but just be pipped at the post.

3. Airdrie - possibly my red tinted specs on but some of the signings I've been impressed with, others not so much. Hopefully a fully fit Carrick and Duffy will provide goals, while Page, Robertson and Crighton can keep them out at the other end. Keeping Millar and Wilkie fit for the season will be massive. I've said it before but I've high hopes for Millar.

4. Raith Rovers - Scraping into the playoffs with points amassed for the 10 games when Wedderburn, Gillespie and Vaughan actually all played together. Pumped in the Playoffs again.

5. East Fife - a lack of goals ultimately costing EF a playoff spot with one of the best defensive records in the league and the highest amount of 0-0 draws. Also the year they end 30 years of hurt with a 1-0 win over The Rovers at Nou Bayview.

6. Stranraer - As close to 2nd place as they are 10th position, in a tight league they do well enough to consolidate another year in L1.

7. Forfar - The loons finish with the worst defensive record in L1, Baird finishes 3rd top scorer with 14 in an ultimately Meh season for the Angus (1 of) team.

8. Montrose - a successful season of staying in the division, after a cracking first quarter and still riding high, suspensions and injury take their toll and Montrose slip down the league but confirm safety with 3 to play and avoid playoffs on last day of the season.

9. Stenhousemuir - into the playoffs on the last day, a fighting season for the warriors which will earn them a crack at safety through the playoffs (playing peterhead again).

10. Brechin - a dismal season for "Dodds" men as their slump takes them down another level and big Darren is hounded out of Angus and into a coaching role at a youth Dundee Utd team.

I’m liking the sound of this, what a tip from back in July - Warriors to avoid automatic relegation on the final day and send Brechin down!