Early league predictions

22 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

With Duggan now gone, it means Kevin Smith should hopefully be played in a more attacking role and Young has had us playing with 2 upfront. A lot certainly depends on keeping Smith fit but Dowds has looked very impressive in the last 2 games. Saying that, a lot of clubs will be in the same boat when injuries/suspensions kick in with key players.

This is Kevin Smith with 55 goals in 226 appearances over his career? I don't doubt he's a useful player for you, but you'll need goals from somewhere. Dowds might be the shock package but it's a big jump for him.

Cue Smith and Dowds to score a hattrick each on Saturday now.

14 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Decided to do something a little bit different. Instead of predicting what might happen I've written exactly what does happen. It initially started as a post on here, but it got far too big - so I've planted it on my website.

I should point out that the first four sections were written before the weekend...so I think we've already lost our pre-season optimism. As always, if I've made any typos (however glaring) please publicly shame me.

http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/what-definitely-happens-in-scottish-league-one

Far, far too kind to the Rovers there.

Raith will most likely end up on top, always seems to be the full time teams have a little bit extra over the full season, 

Dumbarton will be there about too,  

Arbroath should improve on last season, if we started season with a fit Doris and Scott Martin back on loan I feel we could of had a great chance of winning it, however to many Derby’s could be arbroaths downfall.

Airdie and Stranraer will be in around there too, with Forfar not far behind, 

Then I’d say Montrose and East Fife to be safety clear of relegation, both racking up the most draws, think Montrose will be a tough team to break down, 

Dont really no much about Stenny but think they will struggle, 

And going on what Brechin fans are saying they are already gearing up for the league playoff against Cove in 2 years

• 3 months later...

Just to show how mentally tight most this league is, here's the league table for the last 5 games...

Arbroath       13, +6
East Fife         9, +2
Forfar               9, -3
Raith                 7, 0
Brechin            6, +1
Dumbarton    6, +1
Stranraer         6, 0
Airdrie               6, 0
Stenny                6, -2
Montrose         6, -3

:lol:

Edited by Gordon EF

The fact that we don’t even have 11 players signed, I’m suggesting we’ll finish 9th with Dumbarton below us as they’re the only side with less players signed than ourselves.

Edit. I forgot about the 12 points we’ll be taking from East Fife so 8th May be a shout.
Roaring back 3 perhaps?

On 7/30/2018 at 20:29, Ross Forbes said:

Decided to do something a little bit different. Instead of predicting what might happen I've written exactly what does happen. It initially started as a post on here, but it got far too big - so I've planted it on my website.

I should point out that the first four sections were written before the weekend...so I think we've already lost our pre-season optimism. As always, if I've made any typos (however glaring) please publicly shame me.

http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/what-definitely-happens-in-scottish-league-one

Looks like a few things I've said will happen have...

Raith - After starting the campaign well they go into their traditional post-daylight saving slump, winning just twice over the Christmas period and suffering a shock 2-0 home defeat to Stenhousemuir that leaves them eight points adrift in third. A belting seven game unbeaten run - where they only concede two goals - is enough to see them eventually take the title on the penultimate weekend.

Dumbarton - What will definitely happen: A Sons fan on Facebook will describe Ross Forbes as ‘a luxury we can’t afford’ and claim he ‘just doesn’t run enough for me’.

Airdrie - Everything seems rosey at the Excelsior (or Penny Cars stadium to be more precise), but this is Airdrie. So that can’t last.

Stranraer - What will definitely happen: Their name will be used when fans are expressing their displeasure with their sides’ current form. “No chance I’m ‘trekking’ to Stranraer next week to watch more of that” will be the phrase of choice.

Montrose - What will definitely happen: Chris Templeman will get better and better the longer their woes in front of goal continue. “Can’t help but feel we’re missing a guy like Sanny” will be said at every single home game, and 14 of the 18 away games.

Just need Sons to up their game a bit and East Fife to go into freefall so I can start charging £1.20 for a minute long phone call where I'll predict your future.

Raith Rovers - Scraping into the playoffs with points amassed for the 10 games when Wedderburn, Gillespie and Vaughan actually all played together. Pumped in the Playoffs again.

This could possibly be my most accurate one I made.

5. East Fife - Also the year they end 30 years of hurt with a 1-0 win over The Rovers at Nou Bayview.

Alright I got the score wrong but.....

Brechin - a dismal season for "Dodds" men as their slump takes them down another level and big Darren is hounded out of Angus and into a coaching role at a youth Dundee Utd team.

Awaiting the call from Tannadice.

• 5 months later...

Dreadful. Stranraer 9th? How could you possibly not see that we would reach the dizzy height of 8th?
Im sorry. I figured your financial problems from the previous year might impact where you would finish.

But im glad you managed to pull off a lofty finish of 8th. My predicition was well off. ;-)

On 13/07/2018 at 13:38, bernardblack said:

have Dumbarton increased their squad numbers yet?

Arbroath to win the league for me

Brechin to go down again

Montrose top 4

Everyone else, who knows!

This guy seemed to know, whats, what

I've held off making these predictions until I've seen a a few signings so here goes....

1. Dumbarton - impressive signings, decent manager, they'll set the pace early and go on a consistent run of results at some point.

2. Arbroath - The core of last years group, knowing each other inside out, and with Doris back like a new signing, they'll run Dumbarton close but just be pipped at the post.

3. Airdrie - possibly my red tinted specs on but some of the signings I've been impressed with, others not so much. Hopefully a fully fit Carrick and Duffy will provide goals, while Page, Robertson and Crighton can keep them out at the other end. Keeping Millar and Wilkie fit for the season will be massive. I've said it before but I've high hopes for Millar.

4. Raith Rovers - Scraping into the playoffs with points amassed for the 10 games when Wedderburn, Gillespie and Vaughan actually all played together. Pumped in the Playoffs again.

5. East Fife - a lack of goals ultimately costing EF a playoff spot with one of the best defensive records in the league and the highest amount of 0-0 draws. Also the year they end 30 years of hurt with a 1-0 win over The Rovers at Nou Bayview.

6. Stranraer - As close to 2nd place as they are 10th position, in a tight league they do well enough to consolidate another year in L1.

7. Forfar - The loons finish with the worst defensive record in L1, Baird finishes 3rd top scorer with 14 in an ultimately Meh season for the Angus (1 of) team.

8. Montrose - a successful season of staying in the division, after a cracking first quarter and still riding high, suspensions and injury take their toll and Montrose slip down the league but confirm safety with 3 to play and avoid playoffs on last day of the season.

9. Stenhousemuir - into the playoffs on the last day, a fighting season for the warriors which will earn them a crack at safety through the playoffs (playing peterhead again).

10. Brechin - a dismal season for "Dodds" men as their slump takes them down another level and big Darren is hounded out of Angus and into a coaching role at a youth Dundee Utd team.

OK, so I ma have misjudged Dumbarton a bit, obviously had the red tinted specs on for Airdrie, and while I did say Montrose would be safe, they've surpassed all expectations (even their own i'd say!).
Raiths injuries I'd say I called quite well, but the kicker I may have nailed..... Apologies Brechin fans, but check out my bottom 2 predictions and reasoning....

On 17/07/2018 at 16:47, Scary Bear said:

1. Dumbarton
2. Arbroath
3. Brechin
4. Airdrie
5. Raith Rovers
6. Forfar
7. East Fife
8. Montrose
9. Stranraer
10. Stenhousemuir

Can’t wait.

We have done brilliantly and totally exceeded my expectations.