Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
underpar

Brechin City 2018 /19

Recommended Posts

 

He's good when fit although not to keen on that if we are going up a league. Heard us linked with better strikers although looks like we could be losing Wallace, Doris could possibly be away and Spence and Donnelly have deals but unsure as to what will happen with them too.

Who else have you boys been linked with?

 

I'm hoping it isn't a certain Dumbarton striker who has been in scintillating form for the last 2 or 3 months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

 

I'm hoping it isn't a certain Dumbarton striker who has been in scintillating form for the last 2 or 3 months.

 

Your fine there not interested in Loy.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Who else have you boys been linked with?  
I'm hoping it isn't a certain Dumbarton striker who has been in scintillating form for the last 2 or 3 months.
 


Haha nope.

Never heard anything about any Dumbarton players

Guessing you mean Gallagher? He will probably stay with you guys I reckon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard Jackson is set on becoming only the 457th player to represent all four Angus clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, a little bored at work and for whatever reason started thinking how bad the last four years have been and as it turns out worse than bad;

Across all competitions we have entered we have played 166 games and won only 39! 

League played 144 and won 36, Challenge Cup - not won in four years, League Cup played 13 and won 2 (Stirling and Elgin) and in Scot Cup played 5 winning only one against Buckie, who incidentally put us out the Challenge Cup the same year. How we also got a promotion in there I will never know - 2 relegation are easily understood.

It truly has been the worst time in my time following them and that is a lot of years!. I know guys who go way back claim it was worse.

So what next?

For me a change in manager - clearly a change earlier in the season made no difference even when backed with bringing in 6 players in January. He judged them to be better and clearly were not. Smiths style of play is similar to Dodds - pretty shite. We need a manager who can create a balanced team, one that tries to score goals. He is not a judge of a player nor of tactics (Kavanagh, Scobbie and THAT keeper proving the point) - fact

Also a root and branch shake up of the squad - there are a core of players who have been with us throughout this period. Those are generally fans favourites and been decent in a decent team and might be again but they are also used to losing too. 

For what it is worth I would keep Tapping x2, Hill, Spark, Thomson, O'Neil and then not bothered. 

Decisions need to be made soon as it appears that none of the players have had a conversation with the current manager about staying or going. They are as much in the dark as others but a decision needs to be made soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

Okay, a little bored at work and for whatever reason started thinking how bad the last four years have been and as it turns out worse than bad;

Across all competitions we have entered we have played 166 games and won only 39! 

League played 144 and won 36, Challenge Cup - not won in four years, League Cup played 13 and won 2 (Stirling and Elgin) and in Scot Cup played 5 winning only one against Buckie, who incidentally put us out the Challenge Cup the same year. How we also got a promotion in there I will never know - 2 relegation are easily understood.

It truly has been the worst time in my time following them and that is a lot of years!. I know guys who go way back claim it was worse.

So what next?

For me a change in manager - clearly a change earlier in the season made no difference even when backed with bringing in 6 players in January. He judged them to be better and clearly were not. Smiths style of play is similar to Dodds - pretty shite. We need a manager who can create a balanced team, one that tries to score goals. He is not a judge of a player nor of tactics (Kavanagh, Scobbie and THAT keeper proving the point) - fact

Also a root and branch shake up of the squad - there are a core of players who have been with us throughout this period. Those are generally fans favourites and been decent in a decent team and might be again but they are also used to losing too. 

For what it is worth I would keep Tapping x2, Hill, Spark, Thomson, O'Neil and then not bothered. 

Decisions need to be made soon as it appears that none of the players have had a conversation with the current manager about staying or going. They are as much in the dark as others but a decision needs to be made soon.

 

I sympathise with Smith to a point - he was brought in too late, handed a squad who hadn't won a league game in over a year (and had only won one cup game IIRC) and totally bereft of any confidence. 

I think he was always going to be feeding off scraps in January and whilst he brought in guff like Kavanagh, he also brought in Toshney and Thomson who I felt did very well.  I assume the keeper you're talking about is Brennan?  That was Dods that brought him in.  Was Bowman bad?  He gave Paddy his chance and I thought he got longer than he probably should have, he had a few very good games early on but mistakes were creeping into his game (one sticks in my mind where he was lobbed whilst still on his line).

That said, I agree that there wasn't much improvement and he should move on.  I wouldn't have swapped our promotion for stability despite what's come since, however it's certainly been the worst period in my time supporting City.   Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Brechin City FC said:

I sympathise with Smith to a point - he was brought in too late, handed a squad who hadn't won a league game in over a year (and had only won one cup game IIRC) and totally bereft of any confidence. 

I think he was always going to be feeding off scraps in January and whilst he brought in guff like Kavanagh, he also brought in Toshney and Thomson who I felt did very well.  I assume the keeper you're talking about is Brennan?  That was Dods that brought him in.  Was Bowman bad?  He gave Paddy his chance and I thought he got longer than he probably should have, he had a few very good games early on but mistakes were creeping into his game (one sticks in my mind where he was lobbed whilst still on his line).

That said, I agree that there wasn't much improvement and he should move on.  I wouldn't have swapped our promotion for stability despite what's come since, however it's certainly been the worst period in my time supporting City.   Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

When Smith came in we were in 6th . He told us he knew where the problems lay and that changes would be made accordingly and his eye was on the play offs at the top end.  His remit was to keep us in this league and he failed miserably by finishing bottom.  In any other walk of life he would lose his job .  Dods kept his job "because he was a decent bloke "  despite not winning a game in a full season .  It looks as if Barry is going to be given that same chance.  That is not acceptable.  We need someone in there who can lift the depression and put a positive spin on things....a manager who knows that to win games you need to attack and score goals.....a manager who can interact with the supporters and the community.   Sorry Smith doesn't tick any of those boxes. 

On the keeper , I don't think Bowman is any better than Brennan.   Paddy was made the scapegoat and it was obvious that he would have been dropped at the earliest opportunity.  He is by far the more confident of the two at present.  I feel Smith's choice of keeper has been poor at crucial times.   He waited far too long to drop Brennan and Paddy was dropped far too quickly and  Bowman was given too long into the run in where he has looked like a nervous wreck. 

The experienced guys that Smith brought in have been a big let down as well .  They have the ability but again Smith's lack of ability to get the best out of them has been brutally evident.

We need a complete change of direction , possibly with the introduction once again of a scout to pick up the best of the local talent from junior and amateur leagues...........a perfect example being those former players at the last game.   Marc Miller ,came from  amateur ......Doug Scott , junior .....  Bobby Brown ,  junior ....... Frank Conway , junior.........  I could go on , but the common factor was these guys had a bit of heart and passion and the talent that was evident when they got their chance at senior level.   The same could be said of giving a rookie manager a chance again .  

 

Again just my thoughts but it might be worth looking at formulas that worked for us numerous times before instead of choosing "so called professionals"  who seem to think they know better because of their CV.  

Edited by theoriginalhedge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

When Smith came in we were in 6th . He told us he knew where the problems lay and that changes would be made accordingly and his eye was on the play offs at the top end.  His remit was to keep us in this league and he failed miserably by finishing bottom.  In any other walk of life he would lose his job .  Dods kept his job "because he was a decent bloke "  despite not winning a game in a full season .  It looks as if Barry is going to be given that same chance.  That is not acceptable.  We need someone in there who can lift the depression and put a positive spin on things....a manager who knows that to win games you need to attack and score goals.....a manager who can interact with the supporters and the community.   Sorry Smith doesn't tick any of those boxes. 

On the keeper , I don't think Bowman is any better than Brennan.   Paddy was made the scapegoat and it was obvious that he would have been dropped at the earliest opportunity.  He is by far the more confident of the two at present.  I feel Smith's choice of keeper has been poor at crucial times.   He waited far too long to drop Brennan and Paddy was dropped far too quickly and  Bowman was given too long into the run in where he has looked like a nervous wreck. 

The experienced guys that Smith brought in have been a big let down as well .  They have the ability but again Smith's lack of ability to get the best out of them has been brutally evident.

We need a complete change of direction , possibly with the introduction once again of a scout to pick up the best of the local talent from junior and amateur leagues...........a perfect example being those former players at the last game.   Marc Miller ,came from  amateur ......Doug Scott , junior .....  Bobby Brown ,  junior ....... Frank Conway , junior.........  I could go on , but the common factor was these guys had a bit of heart and passion and the talent that was evident when they got their chance at senior level.   The same could be said of giving a rookie manager a chance again .  

 

Again just my thoughts but it might be worth looking at formulas that worked for us numerous times before instead of choosing "so called professionals"  who seem to think they know better because of their CV.  

Thats them telt

I fear committee have learned nothing from previous contracts and if he is to be sacked it will cost money we do not have 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thats them telt
I fear committee have learned nothing from previous contracts and if he is to be sacked it will cost money we do not have 
Hope he was just on contract til end of season. As was said earlier, he has not delivered as promised, so in my book that is in breach of his contract, so a sackable offence. Time to take a good look at the whole set up, clear out, reload and bring us back the passion and football the fans deserve. The past 3 seasons have not been good enough (scrapping into the play-off and being promoted was extremely lucky) for a club that has been established and competitive in league 1 for many years. We have gone from best to worst in Angus in one fell swoop, and this will stick in the throat for a long time. If the fans feel this, then the whole club should, and now is the time to address it from top to bottom and come out ready and fighting for the top spot next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As too is Sinclair, Lynas and O'Neil (last 2 not quite confirmed but looking likely)

It does look like Smith is staying. Good grief!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
As too is Sinclair, Lynas and O'Neil (last 2 not quite confirmed but looking likely)
It does look like Smith is staying. Good grief!
 
Hope Bowman goes too be pretty poor if we let Paddy go and keep Bowman who is shite. Sad to see pabs go hes been a great servant to the club but I guess all good things must come to an end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are gonna have to accept that it will be a team of pretty much new faces next season. Can't believe we are losing guys who have been committed to the club yet we can't use this as an opportunity to get rid of Smith, who has not delivered as he promised, and who is on a par tactic wise as Dods. We need to go out and attack league 2 or we will become a lowest league team, or WORSE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...