Brechin City 2018 /19

Has Barry Smith been home since he left the Rovers? IMG_20181105_223618.thumb.jpg.ed6b0b69c11167abb67619a7af69ddac.jpg

Barely recognisable in that photo.

Wonder if he told Brechin to hold off announcing him as manager until after Saturday so his first game wasn’t a return to Starks?

That person named New member who was getting pelters must be pissing himself laughing just now. To be fair most of the league's fans are now. What a clusterfuck of an appointment. Say goodbye to bringing through any young players. Rumours of Celtic refusing  to give us Regan Hendry this season under his management is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Edited by foreverarover

That person named New member who was getting pelters must be pissing himself laughing just now. To be fair most of the league's fans are now. What a clusterfuck of an appointment. Say goodbye to bringing through any young players. Rumours of Celtic refusing  to give us Regan Hendry this season under his management is just the tip of the iceberg. 

Not sure they'll care about bringing through young players. Results are all that matters. As steady an appointment Brechin could've made, think he will do well. Also... 'rumours'. Hendry was at Raith initially last season.

Not sure they'll care about bringing through young players. Results are all that matters. As steady an appointment Brechin could've made, think he will do well. Also... 'rumours'. Hendry was at Raith initially last season.
He played Hendry last season as a holding midfielder of sorts next to John Herron. I'm pretty sure he signed him at the start of January, and then didn't play him until mid February. He then realised he was a decent player and started to get game time.

Hendry came back under McGlynn and played far further forward, and looked a better player.

As for Smith, he's an absolute beige manager. He might be fine for Brechin, as there won't be as high an expectation. Last season for us, he bottled it in every big game. He brought back unfit experienced players even our younger lads had formed part of the tightest defence in Europe.

For me, the game down at Ayr away was the final nail in the coffin. We still were in a decent position but we went 2-0 down and disappeared without a fight, as he kept with a 4-5-1. While Ayr scored for fun last season, it was still a hugely winnable league and ultimately he, and the squad we had, bottled it.

With that said, he did gut our squad in the summer getting rid of players who had been inconsistent (this may have been budget cutbacks). He just wasn't the right man for the Rovers job, and simply came across as a poorer version of John McGlynn without the ability to get teams to see out games.

A broken clock is right twice a day.

Hes also spoke about 100% shite involving about 5 other clubs.

5 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

He played Hendry last season as a holding midfielder of sorts next to John Herron. I'm pretty sure he signed him at the start of January, and then didn't play him until mid February. He then realised he was a decent player and started to get game time.

Hendry came back under McGlynn and played far further forward, and looked a better player.

As for Smith, he's an absolute beige manager. He might be fine for Brechin, as there won't be as high an expectation. Last season for us, he bottled it in every big game. He brought back unfit experienced players even our younger lads had formed part of the tightest defence in Europe.

For me, the game down at Ayr away was the final nail in the coffin. We still were in a decent position but we went 2-0 down and disappeared without a fight, as he kept with a 4-5-1. While Ayr scored for fun last season, it was still a hugely winnable league and ultimately he, and the squad we had, bottled it.

With that said, he did gut our squad in the summer getting rid of players who had been inconsistent (this may have been budget cutbacks). He just wasn't the right man for the Rovers job, and simply came across as a poorer version of John McGlynn without the ability to get teams to see out games.

I think you are maybe over estimating your team .  Especially reading your comments about Ayr.  Look at them now ! 

By all accounts he wasn't allowed to bring his own backroom team in at Raith .  Maybe working with someone he can trust  will bring the best out of him.  I am sure Stevie will keep him on the right track.  

I am quietly confident.  One thing is for sure it won't be any worse than what we had to endure for the past year . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

6 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I think you are maybe over estimating your team .  Especially reading your comments about Ayr.  Look at them now ! 

By all accounts he wasn't allowed to bring his own backroom team in at Raith .  Maybe working with someone he can trust  will bring the best out of him.  I am sure Stevie will keep him on the right track.  

I am quietly confident.  One thing is for sure it won't be any worse than what we had to endure for the past year . 

8 points clear in Feb and didn't win the league, 1 point clear going into the last game, and didn't win the league. That's a bottling. 

He will do a decent job at Brechin im sure, but that doesent change the fact he was a failure at us. 

30 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

8 points clear in Feb and didn't win the league, 1 point clear going into the last game, and didn't win the league. That's a bottling. 

He will do a decent job at Brechin im sure, but that doesent change the fact he was a failure at us. 

You see it as a failure but your club was in freefall when Smith took over.  To have them up challenging again is an achievement . Again you under estimate Ayr who are flying again with the bulk of the team that went up.  Smith obviously asked for help from your board  to try and strengthen and didn't get it .  

That's the way it looks to the outsider anyway.   

Hopefully it all works to our advantage .  He is now at a club he knows with a bit less pressure in that we are not  trying desperately to maintain full time status .  

Barry Smith has now been mediocre to poor at Alloa, Aldershot, East Fife and Raith Rovers, and his only achievement as a manager is an unbeaten streak with Dundee.

His tenure at Stark’s was nowhere near as bad as jobbers such as Gary Locke, Claude Anelka and Gordon Dalziel, but in terms of turgid football, he was right up there.

I felt he was tactically poor, and was entirely reliant on individual players bailing him out time and time again. I personally think we finished close to Ayr in spite of him rather than because of him.

Perhaps he’ll change tact with this position, but if you’re looking for someone more expansive after Darren Dods reign, I’m not sure you’ve got the right man.

4 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Barry Smith has now been mediocre to poor at Alloa, Aldershot, East Fife and Raith Rovers, and his only achievement as a manager is an unbeaten streak with Dundee.

His tenure at Stark’s was nowhere near as bad as jobbers such as Gary Locke, Claude Anelka and Gordon Dalziel, but in terms of turgid football, he was right up there.

I felt he was tactically poor, and was entirely reliant on individual players bailing him out time and time again. I personally think we finished close to Ayr in spite of him rather than because of him.

Perhaps he’ll change tact with this position, but if you’re looking for someone more expansive after Darren Dods reign, I’m not sure you’ve got the right man.

I think Steve Campbell gave us a glimmer of what he had to offer on Saturday.  This isn't and shouldn't be about one man .  That was maybe the problem at the other teams that he didn't have a reliable deputy .  Maybe this is the team he has been waiting for.  Two like minded ex Dundee men and as you say , his best spell was there ..........at a club he knew and loved.  His last spell at us was very positive as well and he seemed to enjoy his time here.   He knows how the club operates in terms of making the most of the resources and also supporters expectations .  

I am quietly confident that these two will work well.  They couldn't have asked for a better way to start in two derbies at home .