Brechin City 2018 /19

3 hours ago, mo83 said:
4 hours ago, The Minertaur said:
Weirdly enough he didn't just come up and show it off.  We got chatting about his career and I asked what the biggest game he played in was.  He was trying to block a shot and caught Albertz and he has a few photos off his football days on his phone. He played at Easter Road and was playing in the big game at Central Park to decide promotion back in 2001. I take great glee in the fact that we won that one!
No idea why you've been such a twat about it.

Should have said that in the first place then!Not being a twat about it just asking a question my friend

Sorry there was no question asked .  You made a sarky statement .   I think Minertaur wins this one. 

So it's the play offs at best .  I have yet to hear the manager's take on yesterday's debacle but no doubt it will be the same old hard luck story of how the players battled hard in that second half but didn't get any breaks.   Sorry Barry but we expected better , especially from those experienced pros who were brought in to help give the others some confidence . 

Where do we go from here ?   At present we have ................Players just going through the motions.   Crowds dwindling by the week.   General apathy and acceptance of our position from the top down. 

Does the club need a new direction ? 

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

So it's the play offs at best .  I have yet to hear the manager's take on yesterday's debacle but no doubt it will be the same old hard luck story of how the players battled hard in that second half but didn't get any breaks.   Sorry Barry but we expected better , especially from those experienced pros who were brought in to help give the others some confidence . 

Where do we go from here ?   At present we have ................Players just going through the motions.   Crowds dwindling by the week.   General apathy and acceptance of our position from the top down. 

Does the club need a new direction ? 

In a best case scenario, do you think we would beat a resurgent Clyde side that would be winning League 2 if not for the points deduction over two legs? I'm far from convinced. 

We've won 9 games in the last 70 league games, plus poor cup displays (losing to Elgin and scraping past Buckie who aren't having the best of HL seasons). It's been doom and gloom for a couple of years now. Clach who sit third bottom of the HL appear to have a superior win % in that time (fan luxury up there :lol:

The more I think about it, perhaps a (hopefully very brief) spell in League 2 wouldn't be the end of the world if it gets more of a winning mentality and a feel good factor back if we're challenging for promotion. Most people supporting any club need something to get them along to games other than guilt-driven masochism. 

I reckon it could pick up some much needed morale, even if we are a league lower than we're used to. That said, there's no guarantee that we'd bounce back as soon as we'd like and I don't want to come across as arrogant or ignorant towards League 2 sides (see Cowden). As I said, our display at Elgin did not inspire confidence and our squad hasn't changed all that much since then. 

Would the cherry of a league title challenge and a far better win % be sufficient to turn things around rather than worry about any 'new direction'? 

Edited by Hedgecutter

31 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

In a best case scenario, do you think we would beat a resurgent Clyde side that would be winning League 2 if not for the points deduction over two legs? I'm far from convinced. 

We've won 9 games in the last 70 league games, plus poor cup displays (losing to Elgin and scraping past Buckie who aren't having the best of HL seasons). It's been doom and gloom for a couple of years now. Clach who sit third bottom of the HL appear to have a superior win % in that time (fan luxury up there :lol:

The more I think about it, perhaps a (hopefully very brief) spell in League 2 wouldn't be the end of the world if it gets more of a winning mentality and a feel good factor back if we're challenging for promotion. I don't want a lot of our fans to be given the glory hunter tag, but fans need something to get them along to games other than guilt-driven masochism.

I reckon it could pick up some much needed morale, even if we are a league lower than we're used to. That said, there's no guarantee that we'd bounce back as soon as we'd like and I don't want to come across as arrogant or ignorant towards League 2 sides. As I said, our display at Elgin did not inspire confidence. 

Would the cherry of a league title challenge and a far better win % be sufficient to turn things around rather than worry about any 'new direction'? 

One thing is for sure , the club  can't go on  the way it is  ,  living in hope from week to week.  The club needs a serious long term plan. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

Just now, theoriginalhedge said:

One thing is for sure , the club  can't go on  the way we are ,  living in hope from week to week.  The club needs a serious long term plan. 

Such as what? Aim to consistently reach the League 1 playoffs and hope to God that we don't get promoted again? 

Or do you simply mean get a stable (and preferably competent) managerial team in the hope that they can work some magic? 

Or play games in America and bring in millions? Mr Hedge TV could help facilitate. 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Such as what? Aim to consistently reach the League 1 playoffs and hope to God that we don't get promoted again? 

Or do you simply mean get a stable (and preferably competent) managerial team in the hope that they can work some magic? 

Or play games in America and bring in millions? Mr Hedge TV could help facilitate. 

Why be so condescending ?  

Quite rightly the priority is to get things right on the park but there are a lot more things needing addressed .  An ageing stadium for one.  Communication within the club is again at a low.  The lack of outside support is worrying .  Hospitality is struggling.  Need I go on? 

11 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Why be so condescending ?  

Quite rightly the priority is to get things right on the park but there are a lot more things needing addressed .  An ageing stadium for one.  Communication within the club is again at a low.  The lack of outside support is worrying .  Hospitality is struggling.  Need I go on? 

Intended to be more flippant rather than condescending / sarky. Tricky using just text! 

However, I'm struggling to think how we change things around. Somehow break down the 'mafia' perception that's frequently banded about as a start if you're saying communication is the issue? 

I'm just genuinely interested in hearing the alternatives rather than a closed "things have to change". That's not meant to be a condescending comment either. ;)

25 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Hospitality is struggling.  Need I go on? 

I don't think that this is an issue unique to Brechin. Would I be right in assuming that much of this was NE business related? If so, hospitality numbers are down all over the place due to the obvious cut-backs up here, from in-form Peterhead down to Locos. I'm not sure that the standard of football is the driving force there. If anything, you're almost guaranteed to see goals if going to see a losing team! 

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I don't think that this is an issue unique to Brechin. Would I be right in assuming that much of this was NE business related? If so, hospitality numbers are down all over the place due to the obvious cut-backs up here, from in-form Peterhead down to Locos. I'm not sure that the standard of football is the driving force there. If anything, you're almost guaranteed to see goals if going to see a losing team! 

Hospitality not struggling at Forfar,  Montrose  or Arbroath seems to be sold out most weeks

Hospitality not struggling at Forfar,  Montrose  or Arbroath seems to be sold out most weeks

Sold out every week at the start of the season and it takes quite a lot, about 100 odd I'm sure. We even have external hospitality now, Townhouse restaurant does it and provides coaches to Gayfield before and after match.

Good statement.

I’ve been guilty myself of missing a many games this season purely down to the absolute dross on the park. The club needs us right now and hopefully (somehow) we manage to avoid the drop.
It is good to see they admit things need to change. I have missed a few games as well but it's hard to keep going and not getting value for money (even though I have my season ticket) think we should stick with Barry and Stevie next season if they want to stay I think given the chance to build their own squad to fit in the way they want to play they could do a decent job

On 14/04/2019 at 04:47, citydiehard said:

I told you all that Mr Dodds was the wrong appointment, I told you all that Mr Smith was the wrong appointment yet I was ridiculed by the mafia . I blame the committee for the predicament that we are in.Let's get rid of Smith and get the right man for the job and let him start rebuilding the squad for next season in division 2.

https://brechincity.com/bcfc/p/n/2124

Now is your chance  to get all your great ideas heard to help the club:thumsup2

So Mr Ferguson looks on pie and Bovril.That was an awe inspiring statement on the club website - BULLSHIT, Mr Ferguson.Your new media group is pish its done nothing for the club.Your last 2 appointments of managers are shite.As for looking for new blood on the committee I've known people been trying to get onto the committee for the past couple of years but you have just ignored them.Unless you let the people in and appoint a new manager YOU will destroy the club.