Shan things that aren't a patch on the real thing

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Used to love salad cream* sandwich.

* Sandwich cream as it's to be renamed.

Sandwich cream is probably a better name tbh.

Don't think I've ever had it on a salad.

Sandwich cream is probably a better name tbh.
Don't think I've ever had it on a salad.
Tend to agree. I have had it on salad before but only when I remember. I'm more likely to have it on a sandwich as well.

Tend to agree. I have had it on salad before but only when I remember. I'm more likely to have it on a sandwich as well.
salad cream and tomato on a roll is brilliant. cant be made the night before though. also iceberg lettuce and salad cream.

im also partial to mayonnaise on a cheeseburger

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

"Vinegar" from the chippy is nothing of the kind, Vinegar, by definition has to be brewed by the fermentation of ethanol. It's a natural product and source materials include fruit, grains and alcoholic drinks.

Chip shop "vinegar" is Non Brewed Condiment, ie diluted ethanoic acid (or acetic if you're old school), made by a synthetic process. Sometimes caramel is added to give it that "malt vinegar" colour.

2 hours ago, ah-dee said:

salad cream and tomato on a roll is brilliant. cant be made the night before though. also iceberg lettuce and salad cream.

im also partial to mayonnaise on a cheeseburger

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Also a sandwich with salad cream and sliced hard-boiled eggs is a bit tasty.

On 6/7/2018 at 13:24, Bairnardo said:
On 6/7/2018 at 13:23, welshbairn said:
I've seen Michelin starred TV chefs owning up to using it for cooking.

Michel Roux Jr to name one

Shan things that aren't a patch on the real thing thread for this pish.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
13 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:
Shan things that aren't a patch on the real thing thread for this pish.

Roux Jr is fantastic. Hes not his cousin/uncle/father but still absolutely superb

I won't disagree - though my first 'fine dining was at the Waterside Inn under his auld man.  I was aiming for cheap irony rather than a discussion about the Roux family's cooking merits.

That being said, when I lived in Hoxton in the 1980s Michel Jr did set up a bistro-style place just off Finsbury Square called Roux Britannia - and it WAS absolutely shan.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I won't disagree - though my first 'fine dining was at the Waterside Inn under his auld man.  I was aiming for cheap irony rather than a discussion about the Roux family's cooking merits.

That being said, when I lived in Hoxton in the 1980s Michel Jr did set up a bistro-style place just off Finsbury Square called Roux Britannia - and it WAS absolutely shan.

You didn't like a restaurant called "Roux Britannia"? I'm not having that!

Just now, Rugster said:

He couldn't afford glasses under Thatcher, read it as Rue Britannia.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

This was a only a few years after Maggie dealt nicely with the idiotic 'devolution' debate and a healthy couple of decades before I became a BritNat.

14 hours ago, Tamdunk said:

Vinegar works well with fish & chips as it cuts through the oil. Anyway.

Broon:

Chippy, all breakfast rolls/fry up

Tommy kaykay:

Burgers, chips, hot dogs and is an essential ingredient in pink pakora sauce.

5b1b16e34d0ab_theresthedoor.jpg.7bd4b408343e3727a962db6f972e8a55.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the most engaging and controversial debate I've ever seen on P&B here.

I'm a big fan of spicy sauces, 'cheeky' or not the Nando's ones are banging. If you get the relatively rare XX hot one with the black label - the others work fine too - and mix it in with some mayonnaise you get a lovely result for pretty much anything. Also, I'm surprised that chip shop curry sauce hasn't got a mention, it varies in quality of course but the day I found that you could buy it in powder/paste form from shops then just add boiling water to make it yourself was a game-changer

I came here for the Christophe/LincolnHearts dotting revelations but posting for the beans chat. Branston beans are the absolute daddy. Flavorsome as f**k. Some might be put off by the brand as it is quite a 'marmite' brand considering it's largely known for its pickles, but the beans are top notch.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I came here for the Christophe/LincolnHearts dotting revelations but posting for the beans chat. Branston beans are the absolute daddy. Flavorsome as f**k. Some might be put off by the brand as it is quite a 'marmite' brand considering it's largely known for its pickles, but the beans are top notch.

never mind that horseshit, what is their "wind" capacity. 

Archived