Promotion / relegation

amigan

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, newcastle broon said:

I really wish I could be arsed to pick out some of yer quotes :whistle

Feel free. Some would be critical of the LL, some will be promoting it (as the one I quoted earlier), none will be anti-LL.

Then again, why the need to get personal when it has zero to do with the subject being discussed I don't know. Play the ball, not the man  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

So me and a couple of others are now spokesmen for the LL. 

As you said to me earlier behave yersel man :lol:

The LL does have a new committee now so who knows what they're thinking. 

The HFL are another stumbling block as well as the SPFL and yet the LL have to be the ones who make drastic changes.

I know it has to start somewhere but.........

I'd heard theres a new committee because the old one was for opening the league up and the clubs didnt want that. Anyone know if thats true?????

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

With respect, it doesn't seem like it.

You would be quite happy if the LL restricted the flow of clubs upwards and downwards. Quite remarkable.

Nope I'm all for the system actually but until the HFL, West of Scotland and SPFL sorts itself oot it seems the LL are playing piggy in the middle. 

How many times have I said now there are at least 11 teams in the LL  who I don't think would go with it. 

I could be totally wrong and the LL go wi even 3 up 3 doon.

So it's no me happy wi the restrictions downwards at least anyway. 

2013-14 Lowland League = 12 accepted but 17 applied

https://stv.tv/sport/football/229718-dozen-clubs-to-play-in-scottish-lowland-football-league-announced/

2014-15 Lowland League = 2 accepted but 7 applied

http://slfl.co.uk/seven-clubs-apply-join-lowland-league/

2015-16 Lowland League = 1 accepted 5 applied

http://slfl.co.uk/cumbernauld-colts-admitted-to-lowland-league/

2016-17 Lowland League = 2 accepted 3 at least applied

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2016/06/07/civil-service-strollers-hawick-ra-join-expand-lowland-league/

There's always been clubs that have wanted into the Lowland League. The EoS & SoS were always going to pursue greater promotion opportunities. This isn't a new thing. Going to old junior/senior biases to reject the idea, just dismisses all the hard work that the Tier 6 leagues have done to get into this position.

11 minutes ago, Wee Smiler said:

I'd heard theres a new committee because the old one was for opening the league up and the clubs didnt want that. Anyone know if thats true?????

Totally untrue. The league stuff was below the election of office bearers on the agenda anyway. Also to call the routine changes a new board is an exaggeration. 

7 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Nope I'm all for the system actually but until the HFL, West of Scotland and SPFL sorts itself oot it seems the LL are playing piggy in the middle. 

Piggy in the middle currently means 1 possible promotion spot to the SPFL, and one automatic relegation spot to the Eos/SoS, hardly earth shattering stuff if that changed next season to 2 clubs relegated.

We (and a number of other new EoS clubs) have moved from a 16 team league where the bottom 4 were relegated.

6 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Piggy in the middle currently means 1 possible promotion spot to the SPFL, and one automatic relegation spot to the Eos/SoS, hardly earth shattering stuff if that changed next season to 2 clubs relegated.

We (and a number of other new EoS clubs) have moved from a 16 team league where the bottom 4 were relegated.

Well as i keep stating that lies in the hands of the new LL committee not the opinions of the pnb masses.

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's always been clubs that have wanted into the Lowland League. The EoS & SoS were always going to pursue greater promotion opportunities. This isn't a new thing. Going to old junior/senior biases to reject the idea, just dismisses all the hard work that the Tier 6 leagues have done to get into this position.

The EoS have done a remarkable job in turning things around.  In 2015 I said the Pyramid was a busted flush in it's current form with the EoS on it's last legs and clubs leaving it for the Juniors, John Greenhorn in the Evening News yesterday said they weren't far away from calling it a day at that point. Massive credit to them for turning it around and proving me and others wrong.

They've worked hard, and it's paid off over the last few months and everyone is looking forward to an exciting season both on and off the pitch.

It would reward the efforts of the EoS Board, and the clubs who have placed their faith in the league and the Pyramid, if more than one promotion spot was on offer next season between them and the SoS.  It would also benefit the LL.

28 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

Who's actually making an us and them mentality?

Football leagues are won and lost over a period of several months. At present one side are relegated from the LL after them games have been played. 

I'm sure the LL committee will be on pnb every day taking all points of view. After all it's the be all and end all of Scottish fitba. Aye right?

Teams will find their grades eventually. As it stands it will take a little longer.

The last I read the Ayrshire teams weren't interested yet when and if they do become interested are you saying the LL will be expected to bend over backwards for them and fast track them in.

I somehow don't think that would get passed.

Several posters in this thread are starting to develop that mentality, with the chat about the original Lowland League teams taking a big leap compared to the newer clubs who waited before moving from the Juniors.

At no point did I suggest that anyone should bend over backwards to accommodate the Ayrshire (or other West) clubs.  What I said was that the SPFL would be more likely to grant automatic relegation if clubs were falling into a stronger league, and that clearly the league would be stronger for having those clubs in it.  They would still be expected to have to play their way in through a West of Scotland League or some other agreed mechanism, but adding an additional promotion spot from Tier 6 would have the obvious effect of speeding up that process somewhat and preventing a bottleneck.

Several posters in this thread are starting to develop that mentality, with the chat about the original Lowland League teams taking a big leap compared to the newer clubs who waited before moving from the Juniors.
At no point did I suggest that anyone should bend over backwards to accommodate the Ayrshire (or other West) clubs.  What I said was that the SPFL would be more likely to grant automatic relegation if clubs were falling into a stronger league, and that clearly the league would be stronger for having those clubs in it.  They would still be expected to have to play their way in through a West of Scotland League or some other agreed mechanism, but adding an additional promotion spot from Tier 6 would have the obvious effect of speeding up that process somewhat and preventing a bottleneck.

At no point did i sugest or mention us against them. Far from it. I agree with alot of what has been said on here as i said on previous posts.

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I hope you are not including me in that either. Was just trying to set rent a gob / Hamish the shot stopper from West Lothian straight certainly no us and them. 

1 minute ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

I hope you are not including me in that either. Was just trying to set rent a gob / Hamish the shot stopper from West Lothian straight certainly no us and them. 

Excuse me?

17 minutes ago, gogsy said:

You seem to be a nice chap, have you got any Egyptian relatives?

Thanks Gogsy. No I’ve not just my good friend Mo :) ... have you? 

4 hours ago, johnmc80 said:

Of course there was a risk. Taking a leap into the unknown will always be a risk. And nobody could have said hand on heart how it was going to work out. 

What risk ??? They all fucked off with no regard towards the Eos whatsoever, basically leaving them to rot. I can’t remember many complaining about it, the Eos cut their cloth accordingly and got on with it, because it was what was needed to forward Scottish football. Now the Eos have opened their doors, basically fucking many of their loyal clubs to weekly pumpings, but again it’s whats needed to further the game in this country. Now it’s the turn of the LL clubs to do the same, regardless of what happens above. It doesn’t matter what’s happened in the past, who wouldn’t come on board then and who said what, there’s something big happening beneath you and although some LL clubs must be shitting themselves right now,  in my opinion that’s what a pyramid is all about is it no. The LL should do their part, sooner rather than later and let’s get everyone where they should be 

Archived