Promotion / relegation

amigan

Absolutely there should be more promotion slots to the Lowland League, but we're in a total state of flux at the moment. Currently only four clubs in the EoSFL could be promoted. A WoSFL is imminent. Once the interrelations between these are known then is the time to push for an increase in promotion slots.  SPFL promotion slots are pretty much irrelevant at the moment.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

You class relegating 2 teams from a 16 team league as rolling over? 

This "them and us" attitude is the stuff you guys criticise the Junior heirachy for (and rightly so), but times have changed and what clubs probably weren't expecting is having to battle the LL for a fair amount of promotion spots. I thought we're dealing with more enlightened people than that who can appreciate the bigger picture.

The EoS have been open and honest, a breath of fresh air, their existing members more accommodating than they needed to be.  I truly hope the LL follow suit.

The last thing anyone involved with the LL needs is a lecture on the above especially from someone like yourself who was so negative prior to your personality transplant. 

Quite sure we will get to where we need to be over the next few years with maximum promotion / relegation all the way through :) 

3 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Absolutely there should be more promotion slots to the Lowland League, but we're in a total state of flux at the moment. Currently only four clubs in the EoSFL could be promoted. A WoSFL is imminent. Once the interrelations between these are known then is the time to push for an increase in promotion slots.  SPFL promotion slots are pretty much irrelevant at the moment.

Not for the top 4/5 in the LL they aren’t and the bigger junior sides who have just come into the EoS will very much have an interest in this. 

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Lack of licences & expectation that a WoS is on the cards changing whatever format gets put in place.

I can to an extent understand why some of the west based LL teams might be reluctant to hugely increase relegation at this stage when there is not yet a credible West of Scotland league in place. 

The east based teams don't have the same excuse so it is purely self interest on their parts. 

Given the low number of licensed teams and the absence of a West of Scotland League this year, staying at one relegation place is understandable if a little timid. If by next year there are 10+ licensed teams in the EoS and a WoSL has been created then there will be no excuse for the LL not to increase the relegation places to at least 2 places if not 3. 

If they tried to stay at 1 relegation place in those circumstances then it wouldn't be strengthening their hand against the SPFL but just looking like self interested hypocrites. Let's wait a year though and see what happens before we start criticising. 

The last thing anyone involved with the LL needs is a lecture on the above especially from someone like yourself who was so negative prior to your personality transplant. 
Quite sure we will get to where we need to be over the next few years with maximum promotion / relegation all the way through [emoji4] 
You're not really covering yourself in glory here to be honest. I'm genuinely astonished at the attitude being displayed here.

I have always been a supporter of the LL and the Pyramid, no transplant needed, I think that might be more than obvious.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpLok said:

I can to an extent understand why some of the west based LL teams might be reluctant to hugely increase relegation at this stage when there is not yet a credible West of Scotland league in place. 

The east based teams don't have the same excuse so it is purely self interest on their parts. 

Given the low number of licensed teams and the absence of a West of Scotland League this year, staying at one relegation place is understandable if a little timid. If by next year there are 10+ licensed teams in the EoS and a WoSL has been created then there will be no excuse for the LL not to increase the relegation places to at least 2 places if not 3. 

If they tried to stay at 1 relegation place in those circumstances then it wouldn't be strengthening their hand against the SPFL but just looking like self interested hypocrites. Let's wait a year though and see what happens before we start criticising. 

Don't think anyone's expecting anything for 2018/19. The buzz for that died down following the LL agm once it became clear a WoS wasn't happening this year.

With the need to rewrite how promotion & relegation works between tiers 5&6 upon the creation of a WoS. I fully expect EoS & WoS champs will gain automatic promotion if licenced.

9 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Not for the top 4/5 in the LL they aren’t and the bigger junior sides who have just come into the EoS will very much have an interest in this. 

I meant from the context of the EoSFL at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

You're not really covering yourself in glory here to be honest. I'm genuinely astonished at the attitude being displayed here.

I have always been a supporter of the LL and the Pyramid, no transplant needed, I think that might be more than obvious.

Oh am I not ... just because I don’t agree with you :lol: 

‘Attitude displayed’ you are jumping to all sorts of conclusions here. 

22 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

No you haven't you used to take the piss on all things LL. 

I've always wanted ww to play the local teams by the way but I don't think the format as you want it merits an extra relegation place at the minute. 

Maybes if the hordes from the west came on board it would be time to have a rethink aboot the whole situation.

For folk to be bumping their gums now when the set up has been going for a few years now is quite laughable. 

There's probably 5 teams in the LL just now (2 of which are so called made up clubs) who won't be anywhere near relegation. I somehow don't think the other 11 will easily roll over.

Why would the existing  LL vote for extra relegation places.....

2 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

No you haven't you used to take the piss on all things LL. 

I've always wanted ww to play the local teams by the way but I don't think the format as you want it merits an extra relegation place at the minute. 

Maybes if the hordes from the west came on board it would be time to have a rethink aboot the whole situation.

For folk to be bumping their gums now when the set up has been going for a few years now is quite laughable. 

No I didn't, I have criticised certainly, but if you had been paying attention to anything I've said over the last 6 years you'll know I have fully supported the concept of a LL and Junior clubs involvement in it.  Why the need to revert to playing the man and not the ball? 

If you think 1 relegation spot from a 16 team league isn't self-preservation, then I'm not the one taking the piss here!

25 minutes ago, ShrimpLok said:

Let's wait a year though and see what happens before we start criticising. 

Relegating 2 clubs from 16 isn’t a huge ask regardless of the possibility of a future WoS, and if nothing changes we are guaranteed that one of the two biggest non-league teams in the East (Bonnyrigg Rose and Linlithgow Rose) are left out of the LL for 2019-20.  I’m a bit mystified how that would help the case for increased access to the SPFL if the best clubs in the East can only be drip-fed into the LL.  

The time to grasp the media spotlight is now, and the way you do that is leading the way by demonstrating wiliness to open up your own league and in turn asking others to do the same.  You can’t buy that sort of media interest at these levels in Scotland.

Just now, Burnie_man said:

No I didn't, I have criticised certainly, but if you had been paying attention to anything I've said over the last 6 years you'll know I have fully supported the concept of a LL and Junior clubs involvement in it.  Why the need to revert to playing the man and not the ball? 

If you think 1 relegation spot from a 16 team league isn't self-preservation, then I'm not the one taking the piss here!

See my edited post regarding the 16 teams in the LL. 

I'm No taking the piss either!

It seems you don't like anyone who has different opinions from yersel!

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

Relegating 2 clubs from 16 isn’t a huge ask regardless of the possibility of a future WoS, and if nothing changes we are guaranteed that one of the two biggest non-league teams in the East (Bonnyrigg Rose and Linlithgow Rose) are left out of the LL for 2019-20.  I’m a bit mystified how that would help the case for increased access to the SPFL if the best clubs in the East can only be drip-fed into the LL.  

The time to grasp the media spotlight is now, and the way you do that is leading the way by demonstrating wiliness to open up your own league and in turn asking others to do the same.  You can’t buy that sort of media interest at these levels in Scotland.

I agree it's a timid approach but can forgive it for a year. Personally I think the LL clubs would have been better to embrace the change now and opt for a much more fluid connection between EoS and LL. 

If they stick at 1 relegation place next year though I'll be the first to criticise it.  Ultimately at least 3 relegation places are what is needed in a 16 team league, especially where there is a regionalisation underneath it. 

13 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Oh am I not ... just because I don’t agree with you :lol: 

‘Attitude displayed’ you are jumping to all sorts of conclusions here. 

"Attitude displayed" on this subject ie...........

33 minutes ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Why should the LL make further concessions first.

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

The LL has already conceded enough ground on this.

1 hour ago, Baxter's Nutmeg said:

So teams that put faith in the LL and pyramid 4/5 Years ago are now expected just to roll over, because the juniors have decided it’s actually ok to be in the pyramid?

14 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

See my edited post regarding the 16 teams in the LL. 

I'm No taking the piss either!

It seems you don't like anyone who has different opinions from yersel!

"Why would the clubs vote for extra relegation places", so why would the SPFL increase relegation places? Self preservation.

Re opinions, all opinions are welcome but expect them to be challenged, just like mines are, and I'm not really seeing many responses to the specific points I'm making.

This is like turning the clock back 12 months on the Junior forum :lol:

Just now, Burnie_man said:

"Why would the clubs vote for extra relegation places", so why would the SPFL increase relegation places? Self preservation.

Re opinions, all opinions are welcome but expect them to be challenged, just like mines are, and I'm not really seeing many responses the specific points I'm making.

This is like turning the clock back 12 months on the Junior forum :lol:

So one up via a 4 game play off into the SPFL is completely alright is it. 

Again al ask why would the existing 16 clubs in the LL vote for extra relegation places when they are restricted to a ridiculous system getting up a higher league as it stands just now.

The SPFL and LL would need to come to some sort of agreement surely. 

Aye go and get them junior forums up when YOU very much were anti  LL .

I wonder when yer pal Hamish the goalie will pop up ;)

21 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

That's a bit misleading in that the set up has been evolving since its inception.

First 3 years open to usually multiple applications. Last year Edusport the first to be promoted due to being a licenced champion. This year was the first SoS/EoS playoff.

More promotion & relegation between a league with 2x feeders was always going to be sought.

Just now, newcastle broon said:

So one up via a 4 game play off into the SPFL is completely alright is it. 

Again al ask why would the existing 16 clubs in the LL vote for extra relegation places when they are restricted to a ridiculous system getting up a higher league as it stands just now.

The SPFL and LL would need to come to some sort of agreement surely. 

Aye go and get them junior forums up when YOU very much were anti  LL .

I wonder when yer pal Hamish the goalie will pop up ;)

Of course the SPFL should be more open, so I'll ask again, what has promotion to the SPFL got to do with prom/rel to the EoS? Nobody has answered that point.  You need to flip it around and look at it as an opportunity to put pressure on the SPFL.

If you want to claim I was anti-LL feel free to post up evidence of that.  You're intelligent enough to know the difference between criticism and being totally against something, again, why get personal, it has nothing to do with the subject being discussed?  Now you're implying I have another ID - behave yersel man :rolleyes:

The current system should be kept this year, as there are few licensed teams and still no west setup. It should increase with one extra automatic promotion spot next year. By then a WOS (or a senior west set up) should be in place, as well as more teams getting licensed. Eventually 2-3 teams would get relegated each year from the LL. 

Archived