Promotion / relegation

amigan

What are people’s thought in regards to this?

Surely with the amount of new clubs joining the EoS two clubs going down is a minimum and in regards to promotion there must be at least one automatic spot to league two..

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst the top will have the usual suspects (+ Kelty) it will defo be more interesting at the bottom next season. 

Last season was a formality from early doors that the Albert were going doon.

Not so sure aboot next season, as Baxter already states, clubs aint gonnae go wi 2 up 2 doon.

That said we have a new committee in charge of the LL so ye never know what might get proposed. 

When you have 16 team divisions, 2 up 2 down should be the bare minimum. Personally I'd go for 3 automatic places plus a play off. 

Sad to see Hawick relegated last season but that's fitba. If there's more fluidity of movement between leagues, it keeps them fresh, gives teams more chance to come back after relegation and ensures competitive matches throughout the season. 

There's no doubt automatic relegation should be in place from the Scottish League. Most at Shire would have accepted that at the time, although the play offs are a wee money spinner. 

I'd relegate 2 from the SPFL but you couldn't do that from a 10 team league, those divisions need to be larger. It may come to pass when we finally get EVERY team involved in the pyramid system. 

1 hour ago, Nimmo's Notes said:

When you have 16 team divisions, 2 up 2 down should be the bare minimum. Personally I'd go for 3 automatic places plus a play off. 

Sad to see Hawick relegated last season but that's fitba. If there's more fluidity of movement between leagues, it keeps them fresh, gives teams more chance to come back after relegation and ensures competitive matches throughout the season. 

There's no doubt automatic relegation should be in place from the Scottish League. Most at Shire would have accepted that at the time, although the play offs are a wee money spinner. 

I'd relegate 2 from the SPFL but you couldn't do that from a 10 team league, those divisions need to be larger. It may come to pass when we finally get EVERY team involved in the pyramid system. 

Under the current format of promotion/relegation between the SPFL/HL/LL i don't think you'll see more than 3 relegation spots due to the uncertainty over league numbers. With 3 relegation spots you're holding a 4th in reserve in case you have to balance the league at 16 clubs.

I would wait until there is a functioning WoS league and open it up to 2 up/2 down. Winners of each going up. Until then one is suffice as it looks like the SoS clubs don’t want to be promoted in the first place.

One up/down to SPFL League 2 would be fine providing it is automatic relegation from L2 and it would move the importance from the league 2 v LL/HL match to the playoff between the Lowland and Highland League. There should be no reprieve. I’m also a firm believer that if Cowdenbeath finish bottom for a third consecutive season they should be automatically relegated so that the system doesn’t become clogged by a team being perennial strugglers in league 2 with a get out of jail free card each season. 

Ps. Has there been highlights from the Cowdenbeath v Cove game? Criminal that a professional football club doesn’t produce match highlights. It should be a bare minimum in this modern era.

22 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

I would wait until there is a functioning WoS league and open it up to 2 up/2 down. Winners of each going up. Until then one is suffice as it looks like the SoS clubs don’t want to be promoted in the first place.

One up/down to SPFL League 2 would be fine providing it is automatic relegation from L2 and it would move the importance from the league 2 v LL/HL match to the playoff between the Lowland and Highland League. There should be no reprieve. I’m also a firm believer that if Cowdenbeath finish bottom for a third consecutive season they should be automatically relegated so that the system doesn’t become clogged by a team being perennial strugglers in league 2 with a get out of jail free card each season. 

Ps. Has there been highlights from the Cowdenbeath v Cove game? Criminal that a professional football club doesn’t produce match highlights. It should be a bare minimum in this modern era.

There are lots of clubs looking for volunteers ... 

23 hours ago, pipedreamer said:

We filmed the match but just keep it for ourselves for analysis.

For now 2 up/2down with the EOS winners and the winners of a play-off between 2nd EOS / 1st SOS going up seems the fairest to me. If/when a WOS gets established, 3up/3down seems reasonable.

4 hours ago, HTG said:

There will be 54 clubs at tier 6 next season. Doesn't feel unreasonable to have 2 up, 2 down.  

You'e got a foot in the door and the ink from yer application is barely dry and yer dictating awready :thumsup2

Got to agree though the leagues have to open up a bit so teams can find levels asap.

As Baxter says Turkey's aint gonnae vote for Christmas though,but the LL does have a new committee.

Interesting times ahead.

10 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

In fairness the Eos league doesn’t look a bad place to drop down to now :thumsup2

I think that is going to make a big difference. If you drop down and play the likes of LTHV, Linlithgow, Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg etc. it's not exactly going to be too bad.

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

You'e got a foot in the door and the ink from yer application is barely dry and yer dictating awready :thumsup2

Got to agree though the leagues have to open up a bit so teams can find levels asap.

As Baxter says Turkey's aint gonnae vote for Christmas though,but the LL does have a new committee.

Interesting times ahead.

much less chance with new committee

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Interesting times ahead.

I'm just warming up lol.  Seriously though, one down from 16 isn't reasonable going forward. The West Juniors were at the other end of the sensible line with 2 down and a play off for 3rd bottom in a 12 team league. 

The East Superleague operated 2 down and a play off with 16 in the top flight and that felt ok - apart from 2016/17 when we were awfy close to it! 

Obviously there is a risk that everyone looks after themselves but now that the pyramid is finally starting to expand significantly and the prospect of decent numbers of licenced clubs grows, it'd be great to see the nerves at top and bottom. 

Archived