North Coast 500

Alex_14

ive done the whole route before it became "a thing" on numerous occasions.i had a camper van and one of the attractions was the unspoilt nature of this stunning part of Scotland, I suspect this will no longer be the case.itll be no less stunning,though

I did it last year in three days but that was too quick. My advice would be to be take longer so you're able to stop off and take it in properly. I winged it with accommodation but I was camping although I did stay in a bunkhouse in Lochinver one night because the rain was relentless that day. I didn't have a problem getting that tbf and the two campsites I stayed had plenty of room. I lost count of the times I turned a corner or drove over the brow of a hill and my jaw dropped with the scenery in front of me. I'm heading off on a wee island hopping expedition next week but I'm tempted to do the nc500 again but give myself a few more days. Some pics attached.20170606_114830.jpg20170606_153104.jpg20170607_205703.jpg20170607_133807.jpg

If you did the NC 300 by having Alness- Bonar Bridge - Lairig-Altnaharra - Tongue as your eastern route you wouldn't miss anything by avoiding the A9 and IMO it's by far the more scenic, not to mention HGV and caravan free route.

If you are happy to camp then wing it accommodation wise. If you are expecting to turn up and get hotels/b&b on the day you will be struggling.

Go to smoo cave,eat some lochinver pies, be prepared to stop every 5 minutes to look at the Assynt mountains, fish and chips in ullapool, An Fhuaran pub at Altandhu near Achiltibuie

You’d be wise not to wing it accommodation wise as it’s busy.

Falls of Shin is worth a detour and cafe will be open by then.

Highland stoneware and pies in lochinver.

Smoo cave in Durness.

Capaldis ice cream

Lindsays in golspie for gifts etc 

Berrydale bothy for a coffee

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2018 at 09:27, jamamafegan said:

I’m doing this for the first time in August so I will follow this thread with interest. Hoping to climb Ben Hope along the way

Please don't say the last week in August and do not whatever you do make it go into September, many thanks,Tam x

13 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Don’t you worry soppy bollocks, second week of August for me emoji6.png

If I was doing it before you I'd have left you a cryptic clue with a wee present at the end of it. It would have to be a fairly easy one obviously, I'd let you find it. Another time sheepy.

Edited by tree house tam
Stupid phone

• 3 weeks later...
I’m doing this for the first time in August so I will follow this thread with interest. Hoping to climb Ben Hope along the way

Had a great time overall. I climbed Ben Hope, quite a straight forward climb although there’s definitely easier munros. We didn’t get great weather for views at the top but it was good all the same.
My highlight was definitely the west coat, Achmelvich is beautiful.

IMG_9772.jpg

DSC_0449.JPG_2.jpg

IMG_9938.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

On 23/06/2018 at 00:51, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I'll leave you some tickets behind so you no longer have to be known as ticketless tam. ;)

:lol: just checked back in to this thread. I think we cleared that up with photographic evidence, ask your pint sharing pal.

Do leave me something though, could do with a treasure hunt with a bag of excrement at the end of it.

Yeah I got the bridge one myself - pretty standard pic I’m sure but Kylesku bridge is beautiful. You’ll have a great time. What’s your planned route?
My late uncle was apparently heavily involved with the construction of that bridge as a structural engineer. His sister has had a picture of it on the wall since he died. Always been keen to see it first hand