North Coast 500

Alex_14

Just back from this. (well, kind of)

We made it as far as Ullapool and bailed. The drive in was magnificent, superb mountain ranges. Camped in Applecross which was nice but Sheildaig for me is far superior - it’s a fantastic little village.

The weather was pretty woeful, not nearly as nice as the weather Alex_14 seemed to have got. Taking down and pitching wet tents every day, being unable to cook outside and resorting to getting steaming every night was starting to get a bit miserable so we left for Inverness and camped near Beauly where the weather was significantly better. The right decision. Went to the Moray Firth dolphin site, Culloden Battlefield and then off to Speyside for a whisky tour and then finally ending with a Stonehaven chippy and Dunnottar Castle. Disappointed that I couldn’t climb Ben Hope and explore more of Torridon which is simply breathtaking but it wouldn’t have been fun in that weather. Another time!

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/07/2018 at 19:42, paul-r-cfc said:
On 09/07/2018 at 20:26, Alex_14 said:
Yeah I got the bridge one myself - pretty standard pic I’m sure but Kylesku bridge is beautiful. You’ll have a great time. What’s your planned route?

My late uncle was apparently heavily involved with the construction of that bridge as a structural engineer. His sister has had a picture of it on the wall since he died. Always been keen to see it first hand

Opened in 1984. I’ve got a photo somewhere of the ferry before that, I’ll need to try and rake it out.

edit - and here it is. Maid of Glencoul I think. Still in service at Corran Ferry.

7D360080-3621-4D96-B098-E06799380A1C.thumb.jpeg.038e34baa5916b0896b4002c2bf9bb6d.jpeg

Edited by The Mantis

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Planning on doing this in the summer but unfortunately only able to do it in the last week in July. Anyone know when the busiest time is to go? 

Probably about the end of July:whistle 

I was working in a hotel during last summer. There wasn't a night when it wasn't fully booked between June and August, and literally 90% of all the guests were either starting the NC500 or finishing the NC500. It's busy all summer long, unfortunately.

22 hours ago, ArmadaleKillie said:

As it is September I await the weather lottery! 

It'll be great, just look at the weather in my pictures from last September above, the Scottish seasons are changing. We did it clockwise, camping up the West coast then hotels up north and down the East,  worked out perfect. It's some fucking drive, GLORIOUS. 

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand foreigners getting excited that there's a road going around the North of Scotland by an ingenious bit of marketing and branding by the tourist board, but I'm a bit surprised by Scots suddenly thinking it might be a nice drive.

I can understand foreigners getting excited that there's a road going around the North of Scotland by an ingenious bit of marketing and branding by the tourist board, but I'm a bit surprised by Scots suddenly thinking it might be a nice drive.

It is a nice drive!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Heading up to do the majority of the route the week things open up at the end of April. We booked it last summer and had to tweak our plans a bit, so might be some pretty long days.

Staying in Wick, Tongue, Ullapool and then cutting off track to spend the night in Skye. Was expecting to do it over a week, but a few things have cropped up so need to shorten. Will probably feel a bit rushed, but I’m pretty happy to be up at sunrise and on my way for the day.

Some of the pics look incredible. Fair buzzing for it!