West Super Saturday

Redbrae

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Shanner said:

who are the great footballing sides in the Juniors again? 

Fair point Shanner but some do try to play,  you surely can't enjoy watching that don't get me wrong it's good to win but jesus wept they were kicking for touch in the final to gain ground

23 minutes ago, Shanner said:

who are the great footballing sides in the Juniors again? 

You have to go back a very long way to find junior clubs who could play football in the real old fashioned Scottish way, i.e. the passing game.

I hate to keep harking back to the old days (a lie) but the Kilsyth cup winning team of 1967 with a forward line (remember forwards?) with Jimmy Carroll, Drew Jarvie, Pat McMahon, Jimmy Green and Billy Wilson would have destroyed the current Talbot team. Likewise the Cambuslang, Linlithgow teams of that era .

The really talented young players are no longer found in junior football, and the game has suffered accordingly.

20 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Fair point Shanner but some do try to play,  you surely can't enjoy watching that don't get me wrong it's good to win but jesus wept they were kicking for touch in the final to gain ground

19 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

You have to go back a very long way to find junior clubs who could play football in the real old fashioned Scottish way, i.e. the passing game.

I hate to keep harking back to the old days (a lie) but the Kilsyth cup winning team of 1967 with a forward line (remember forwards?) with Jimmy Carroll, Drew Jarvie, Pat McMahon, Jimmy Green and Billy Wilson would have destroyed the current Talbot team. Likewise the Cambuslang, Linlithgow teams of that era also.

The really talented young players are no longer found in junior football any more, and the game has suffered accordingly.

Guys with the kind of individualistic, mercurial streak that fans used to love seeing are thin on the ground at all levels of the game now and definitely rarer than ever in the Juniors. Guys like that could once use their ability  to mask a lack of fitness but ( apart from Junior goalies who are often way overweight) more Junior players are fitter than ever. 

Nowadays you need to be strong, have "dig" and stamina, and be able to follow instruction, with anything on top of that a bonus it seems.  

It's not particularly controversial or disrespectful to recognise that Talbot's football style is definitely towards the more pragmatic end of the spectrum even by Junior standards, and I think a lot of Talbot fans would agree with that. It works enough to persist with but I think they move to a different level such as when they won the double undefeated in 2012/13 where they showed they were capable of a bit of diversity and could play it about a bit too.  Having said that I've seen them play some very pleasing stuff this season, particularly as part of the Scottish cup run. In the time between January and the midweek fixtures coming in they were very decent to watch. 

End of the day football is about winning and  they are making the best use of the players they have, more so than most.  

I mean about Dublin or Sellick.

I’m aware of that, I was meaning if more had your ‘ I don’t give an eff’ attitude [emoji6] then we wouldn’t have so friction between blue & green. We are what we are my friend [emoji111]️

23 hours ago, Glens lad said:

I’m aware of that, I was meaning if more had your ‘ I don’t give an eff’ attitude emoji6.png then we wouldn’t have so friction between blue & green. We are what we are my friend emoji111.png

Who's playing the Glencairn Venue this week?

8 hours ago, TheAftonArmyBear said:

If they hadn't equalised , then Talbot would have won the league so it did make the difference to beith winning the league lol

no  beith would have won it on goal difference                                  

Who's playing the Glencairn Venue this week?

Wow [emoji50]
That’s a blast from the past. The Glencairn club, back in the mid 80’s the band I was in played there many times. Great wee venue [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

Canny believe some fans are going on about cumnock players and fans celebrating getting a draw yesterday. Let's face facts here if it was the other way round we would have been the same. They weren't celebrating a draw but us not winning the title

Just now, Smudger said:

Canny believe some fans are going on about cumnock players and fans celebrating getting a draw yesterday. Let's face facts here if it was the other way round we would have been the same. They weren't celebrating a draw but us not winning the title

Absolutely. Let's be honest, it must be hellish being them. Imagine your greatest rival having such success. Give them their turn to shout.

8 minutes ago, Smudger said:
18 minutes ago, maicoman said:
no  beith would have won it on goal difference                                  

No they wouldn't have think about it

Struggling for the answer for this one  Please help me out with the reason why i am wrong

Struggling for the answer for this one  Please help me out with the reason why i am wrong
Because if cumnock had not equalalised Talbot would have won the league. No goal difference required

2 minutes ago, Smudger said:
7 minutes ago, maicoman said:

Because if cumnock had not equalalised Talbot would have won the league. No goal difference required

You're getting mixed up pal. The equaliser he was talking about was Beith's last minute goal at Pollok earlier in the season. A Pollok fan said earlier it was crucial.

Just now, jimbaxters said:

You're getting mixed up pal. The equaliser he was talking about was Beith's last minute goal at Pollok earlier in the season. A Pollok fan said earlier it was crucia

Cheers  Jim you beat me to it 

Was at the Bot v Beith game on Wednesday.Beith won 2- 1. An excellent game to watch although we lost.I am sure Beith fans who were there would agree with me and not only because of the result.

Archived