Best chip shop

NJ2

The Chippy in Blairgowrie is shite. 24 quid for 2 fish suppers and a king rib supper and we had to wait around 25 minutes for it. Mr Lees up the road far nicer.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read the whole thread but no doubt the sauce versus vinegar thing will have raised its head.  What I'd like to know is, where is the sauce/vinegar line.  I grew up in Linlithgow which is vinegar and I now live in Edinburgh which is sauce. Kirkliston?

Name your town and say vinegar or sauce so we can draw the map.

On 6/1/2018 at 08:32, Karpaty said:

Blue Lagoon in Gordon Street is good I heard. 

In my experience the , most awful, over priced fare it has been my displeasure to sample. The Palazza , Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, fresh fish, done in vegetable oil. Outstanding place. 

Quayside in Gourdon is the correct answer. It makes The Bay in Stonehaven look distinctly average.

First time i went i would have said that it was on par. However, was nt as great second time round.

On 22/06/2018 at 23:42, th1stleandr0se said:

I haven't read the whole thread but no doubt the sauce versus vinegar thing will have raised its head.  What I'd like to know is, where is the sauce/vinegar line.  I grew up in Linlithgow which is vinegar and I now live in Edinburgh which is sauce. Kirkliston?

Name your town and say vinegar or sauce so we can draw the map.

They had this very discussion on Off the Ball a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately I can't remember the answer.

On 6/22/2018 at 20:57, Crroma said:

The Chippy in Blairgowrie is shite. 24 quid for 2 fish suppers and a king rib supper and we had to wait around 25 minutes for it. Mr Lees up the road far nicer.

The chippy next to the shell garage is good in Blairgowrie. It:s a Chinese takeaway as well but the fish suppers are very good IMO. Which one were you on about?

Allan water cafe in Bridge of Allan is good.
A bit of a hit or miss nowadays..used to be better year's ago. A bit pricey for the Quality to. £10.10 for a large breaded fish supper[emoji849]

7/10 for last night's supper, as I purchased a buttered roll which was one of those pre sliced efforts, rather than a proper roll from a bakery.

My gf and myself went to that new place down Granton Harbour.
It's attached to Welch's,a well respected fish merchant so was expecting high standards. It was really good but they rip the hole clean off you for sauces etc. £1 for a tiny tartare sauce. It wasn't even that good.
But we got large fish supper and monkfish bites with Vietnamese sauce. Fish and chips were a good 9/10 . The monkfish was ok.
No better than the Old Chain Pier along the road if I'm being honest.
But it was a beautiful night and sitting by the harbour maybe made it better than it was.

42 minutes ago, Heart of Northern said:

Is that not the same plaice (:P) that used to be Harry Ramsdens?

Was never in the place but my old mother used to swear by the Peacock bar that used to be just across the street from there as serving the best fish tea in Edinburgh.

Is that not the same plaice ([emoji14]) that used to be Harry Ramsdens?
Was never in the place but my old mother used to swear by the Peacock bar that used to be just across the street from there as serving the best fish tea in Edinburgh.
Don't think it is. But I'm floundering a bit.
I think Harry's is now the Oyster bar place.
The Peacock was the old dears place of choice. They've gutted it into some kind of modern Italian, looks brutal and dead every time I go past.

It really should not be difficult to produce a decent fish supper, yet so many places manage to fail spectacularly in what is their supposed area of expertise. Get the oil/ fat temperature right, ensure the batter mix is light and of the correct consistency. Use fresh fish (From frozen needn't be a problem providing It's been done asap after being caught and used quickly after defrosting). 

The fish should be fried to order and not overcooked - it should be flaky and never chewy. Once taken out of the frier it should be left drain for 1-2 minutes. It is better not to park it on top of the chips as the condensation will make the batter soggy....

8 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

It really should not be difficult to produce a decent fish supper, yet so many places manage to fail spectacularly in what is their supposed area of expertise. Get the oil/ fat temperature right, ensure the batter mix is light and of the correct consistency. Use fresh fish (From frozen needn't be a problem providing It's been done asap after being caught and used quickly after defrosting). 

The fish should be fried to order and not overcooked - it should be flaky and never chewy. Once taken out of the frier it should be left drain for 1-2 minutes. It is better not to park it on top of the chips as the condensation will make the batter soggy....

1E642FB7-2BAA-4C17-8E86-58CA76C20CBB.gif

Archived