Best chip shop

NJ2

Not sure this has ever been discussed on Pie & Bovril, but I see The Scotsman have done a top 10 of Edinburgh Fish & Chip shops with the winner to be announced in due course.

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/revealed-the-top-10-edinburgh-chippies-as-voted-by-our-readers/

Anybody been to any? Anybody know any better? Chippy or chipper? Salt & sauce (red or brown?!) or salt & vinegar? Eggs or onions?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not looked at the list but Javits and the Jubilee are both a 5 minutes walk away and are both really good.
It's a chippie in Edinburgh obviously.
And no salt on the fish as it fucks the batter.
Salt n vinegar on the chips with a puddle of brown sauce in the corner for dipping.

It’s kinda weird to me that someone could name all the best chippies in a given city. Restaurants aye fair enough but sampling greasy, cheaply made convenience food  all over town seems like odd behaviour.

Francos and St Andrews are ok in my book. Bar-B-Q is a good one at Corstorphine. L’Alba D’Oro wouldn’t make my list either as it doesn’t open at lunchtime during the week. Edinburgh used to be full of lunchtime opening chip shops but now it is down to very few. One of the best in Edinburgh but sadly now long closed was Tarrys in Manse Rd, Corstorphine, just down from the old Astoria picture house.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

The Bay in Stonehaven pisses all over these Edinburgh efforts from a great height.

The Bay is a Cracking Chippy, with Aunty Betty's next door for a cone, Stonehaven sea front = culinary utopia

Archived