Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

On 2/24/2019 at 13:06, cowdenbeath said:

I think that's  very harsh   - keyboard warrior stuff at its worst^_^

Bollan has  got us back to a respectable level in a short space of time.

Seriously ? How shit do the results have to be to question whether or not he has done enough with the more than respectable support he has been given by the board. Respectable level my arse.

2 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

No one is for one minute suggesting it is a "cure-all". I simply stated I am glad the extra money, which we would have received, wasn't used to suddenly increase the playing squad budget.

He has that respone handy to copy and paste every week or so Muzz. Most people have got bored responding to it 

He has that respone handy to copy and paste every week or so Muzz. Most people have got bored responding to it 

No I live in the real world with real money and real issues - not the virtual world you seem to prefer. You carry on in virtual reality mode - I make no apologies for focusing on the hard truth - how do you fund CFC on a sustainable basis - over to you? But be prepared to be part of the solution

2 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

No I live in the real world with real money and real issues - not the virtual world you seem to prefer. You carry on in virtual reality mode - I make no apologies for focusing on the hard truth - how do you fund CFC on a sustainable basis - over to you? But be prepared to be part of the solution

He made one small reference to money, not even a negative one and you come out with your usual rant. What virtual world are you referring to? I just gave my opinion to some one else on this forum about you perhaps being a tad tedious. I made no reference to the world of finance.

Seriously ? How shit do the results have to be to question whether or not he has done enough with the more than respectable support he has been given by the board. Respectable level my arse.
31 points at this stage of the season will normally have you fairly close to tenth place. Not much of an improvement given the quality of the league this season outwith the top 3.

Tedious is the word.  I am finding the whole thing tedious and  always trying  to push water uphill - you are right maybe having (hopefully) secured a place in L2 it is the right time for an exit and to let someone else have a go.  It's tedious having to bang on about finance and sustainability and someone else may have the answers. 

2 things. 

1, we are ,as the season now draws to a close, realistically not really much better than last season. The style of football is terrible at best and the only real difference between this season and last is that we haven’t let Berwick beat us 4 times this season.

2, I have a big feeling the rangers money isn’t going to ‘set us up for next season’. More likely, it has kept the club in the plus for the 2nd half of the season but realistically it isn’t enough for us to be competitive for players in the summer. If anything, we may end up with a lesser budget for next season unless something happens to change this. Just my feeling, I have no information.

6 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

From the outside looking in, Cowden have a few right good players - McGurn is obviously still a very good keeper, even if he's on the decline, Deas (though absent just now) is a centre-back almost certainly destined for a full-time career, Gary Fraser has largely played at Championship level and above and Jordan Allan has undoubted talent, although perhaps the attitudes of the latter can be questioned to a degree. Renton seems to get a lot of stick, but any time I've seen him he's been a pretty effective target man - I just don't think his strengths are played to (well) enough. Cox is not much more than a competent player at this level; a real hard-worker but not really explosive enough to be considered a stand-out. One that I find interesting is the ongoing situation with Harvey Swann; any time I've seen him, he's struck me as a pretty standard young modern full-back in that he's got decent technical ability - and certainly a good build - but deficiencies in the defensive side of his game. That's never really been something Bollan's been keen on, and the solution of playing good attacking full-backs as wingers very seldom works out - completely different running from deep into space when you're generally not directly marked to having to take men on or make attacking runs early in transition. 

Bollan is underperforming with what he's got at his disposal - Muzza has done a world's first and hit a nail on the head with his Annan comparison. They're largely a bunch of jobbers with what would seem to be a very competent manager at the helm, and in most seasons would be a lot closer to what is at present a very strong top three. The issue, as always, is who do you bring in that's better? Annan lucked out big-time with a complete shot in the dark in Murphy, and such risks might end up taking you back towards the drop zone. 

We are under performing. Talbot being injured has caused us problems at the back. Marsh departing as well. Swann is not a left back. He should be further forward (maybe a bit of a luxury though). Deas and Bollan have potential, but could do with an experienced player (like Talbot) playing alongside them. We are still poor in the middle as well. The most frustrating bit is that we persist with the same failed tactics. Renton and Cox upfront doesn't work. How many games does it take to realise this? We bring Henvey in and sit him on the bench most of the time. No wonder he went back to Dundee. Sheerin not being fit enough also hasn't helped, but he still looks more dangerous than Renton. We look more and more like the team of the last few seasons. Struggling to even have any shots on goal, let alone score. Why not try Muirhead with Allan or Connelly, or all three. It's not like we can't take risks.

As has been said, taking ten points off Berwick this season has saved us from the dreaded bottom spot. Last season they took all twelve points against us. Basically, half our points have been earned against the bottom two. Some seasons we would be bottom with our points tally. We are just lucky that Albion Rovers and Berwick have been as bad as we are just now for most of the season. I am delighted that we are going to avoid the play off, but I worry about next season. Maybe Bollan has a few players in mind to try and change it if he stays.

Also, it doesn't look like a happy camp just now. A few players were having digs at others against Rovers. Some of our players look worse under Bollan as well.

5 hours ago, PELE said:

We are under performing. Talbot being injured has caused us problems at the back. Marsh departing as well. Swann is not a left back. He should be further forward (maybe a bit of a luxury though). Deas and Bollan have potential, but could do with an experienced player (like Talbot) playing alongside them. We are still poor in the middle as well. The most frustrating bit is that we persist with the same failed tactics. Renton and Cox upfront doesn't work. How many games does it take to realise this? We bring Henvey in and sit him on the bench most of the time. No wonder he went back to Dundee. Sheerin not being fit enough also hasn't helped, but he still looks more dangerous than Renton. We look more and more like the team of the last few seasons. Struggling to even have any shots on goal, let alone score. Why not try Muirhead with Allan or Connelly, or all three. It's not like we can't take risks.

As has been said, taking ten points off Berwick this season has saved us from the dreaded bottom spot. Last season they took all twelve points against us. Basically, half our points have been earned against the bottom two. Some seasons we would be bottom with our points tally. We are just lucky that Albion Rovers and Berwick have been as bad as we are just now for most of the season. I am delighted that we are going to avoid the play off, but I worry about next season. Maybe Bollan has a few players in mind to try and change it if he stays.

Also, it doesn't look like a happy camp just now. A few players were having digs at others against Rovers. Some of our players look worse under Bollan as well.

I understand your frustration with the poor run use have been on but surely with the last few seasons you guys have had and the potential that a drop down to LL could have put you out the box, use would be delighted with this season. Last season in particular I thought Cowdenbeath where particularly poor, surely you can’t expect that to change overnight. Renton seems to get a lot of stick on here but I would have him at Berwick in a heartbeat, not sure what happened when use played us couple weeks ago think he was on teamsheets to be playing, but Allan seemed to be his replacement and I thought he was hopeless, he didn’t cause our ropey defence any real problems atall. 

27 minutes ago, Fergie1 said:

I understand your frustration with the poor run use have been on but surely with the last few seasons you guys have had and the potential that a drop down to LL could have put you out the box, use would be delighted with this season. Last season in particular I thought Cowdenbeath where particularly poor, surely you can’t expect that to change overnight. Renton seems to get a lot of stick on here but I would have him at Berwick in a heartbeat, not sure what happened when use played us couple weeks ago think he was on teamsheets to be playing, but Allan seemed to be his replacement and I thought he was hopeless, he didn’t cause our ropey defence any real problems atall. 

Renton injured in warm up that day

No one is seriously suggesting that the Rangers money makes us rich or will increase the budget next season. I stated that it was good we didn’t use the sudden windfall to increase the budget of the playing squad in January now everyone is banging on about us not being rich. Completely unrelated. I hope the money went towards general running costs/paying back any director loans. 

8 hours ago, PELE said:

You’ve nailed it. Too many players going through the motions just now.

I’d love to see Connelly playing,  and not just for the last 5mins, if he is fit.

Renton looks like he needs a rest.

he gets a lot of stick unfairly I think, he wins a lot of high balls but it’s not his fault they mostly go to waste. When he was partnered with Dale Carrick in his last stint, Carrick scored a few goals from his knock downs, we don’t have anyone at the moment who does that.

5 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You’ve nailed it. Too many players going through the motions just now.

I’d love to see Connelly playing,  and not just for the last 5mins, if he is fit.

He isnt fully match ready - don’t know if he could play in Fife Cup 

10 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

No one is seriously suggesting that the Rangers money makes us rich or will increase the budget next season. I stated that it was good we didn’t use the sudden windfall to increase the budget of the playing squad in January now everyone is banging on about us not being rich. Completely unrelated. I hope the money went towards general running costs/paying back any director loans. 

2018 audited accounts recently signed off as at May 2018 - £46,000 loss.  Directors loans then were £185,000 - Directors loan figure since then has only gone up there have been no monies repaid

I watched connelly in the warm up before the game and they were doing short sharp sprints and turning - sheering was beating him by a yard maybe 2.. Thus Im going on this basis that connelly is defo not match fit or sharp enough

In regards to the finance - as muzza said he made a good point I think when you have a "windfall" by that I mean money coming in that wasnt budgeted for. The board could use that money in any way they see fit e.g pay back personal loans.. put it into the exisiting playing budget or simply use it for overheads/running costs for the remainder and next season..

The worst thing we could have done with the money is put a high% into the playing or coaching staff for the remainder of this season it doesnt appear we have done this (cowden cowboy can confirm if he likes) Thus I am going to assume the extra money not budgeted for will go towards next season keeping the club on an even keel and perhaps less directors personal loans will be necessary next season now..

Just now, Cowden Cowboy said:

2018 audited accounts recently signed off as at May 2018 - £46,000 loss.  Directors loans then were £185,000 - Directors loan figure since then has only gone up there have been no monies repaid

just posted about money prior to seeing this... If director loans are this high then the extra budget money doesnt come close to paying off or even covering a full season of director loans for next season but of course as always it will help. Worrying £46k loss. However can you cofnirm was our wage expenditure higher than say 2017 budget I assume yes??

£112,000 loss in 2017 - overall wages came down a little in 2018 and you will see that 2017/18 league performance was worse than 2016/17 points wise - against budget wage costs always end up higher than budget that’s football.  See Raith recently reported a £400000 loss

Edited by Cowden Cowboy