Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

Best right back for me was watching Jimmy Boyle. However mark baxter comes a close 2nd. Brett 3rd.

Goalkeepers best for me was Davie Hay. Followed by Jamie Sneddon. Never got to see Raymie Allan.

2 hours ago, onecowden said:

Full backs. Matt Ward and Keith Ferguson definitely warrant a mention.

There was an ex players game organised by Nelly 2 years ago. I can’t run so got to be manager of 1 of the teams.

there were players from all different teams and eras in the dressing room so I said everyone introduce yourself and tell us something about yourself to do with Cowden or something funny or whatever.

Keith Ferguson steps up and says Hi lads I’m Keith and I was captain of Cowden in 1978 or 1980 (roughly). He must have been Late ish 50s at the time, and he was probably our best player! Unbelievable, I’m sure he’s been in the film Cocoon!

Very good player who I had the pleasure of playing with for a while in my 20s, aswell as five a sides for years, and hard as nails!

Edited by big al

There was an ex players game organised by Nelly 2 years ago. I can’t run so got to be manager of 1 of the teams.

there were players from all different teams and eras in the dressing room so I said everyone introduce yourself and tell us something about yourself to do with Cowden or something funny or whatever.

Keith Ferguson steps up and says Hi lads I’m Keith and I was captain of Cowden in 1978 or 1980 (roughly). He must have been Late ish 50s at the time, and he was probably our best player! Unbelievable, I’m sure he’s been in the film Cocoon!

Very good player who I had the pleasure of playing with for a while in my 20s, aswell as five a sides for years, and hard as nails!

Yes. Keith was a great player. Chipped in with a few goals as well. Surprised he wasn’t picked up by a full time club at the time.

1 hour ago, big al said:

Aye Keith played for Cowden in my early days of watching us. Quite a few decent players in that era.

1 hour ago, ronaldincoo said:

Beaky Baxter.

Ah, the Great Smokie Pensioner Mystery, when Cowden lost 4-1 at Arbroath! Here's how Helicopter Dreams recorded it for posterity:

The turning point of the game comes in 69 minutes when an Arbroath supporter throws the ball in Mark Baxter’s face as the full back waits to take a throw-in. Baxter loses the plot and hurls the ball back at the fan. The referee immediately sends off the Cowden player. Jay Stein makes it 2-0 for Arbroath. Then, with nine minutes remaining, Iain Mauchlen makes a reckless challenge on John McGlashan and is rightly red-carded. This sees almost all the players on the park congregating to “debate” the matter. McGlashan subs himself off and disappears down the tunnel, where there is an altercation. Paul Watson and Steven Cook score further goals against the nine-man Cowden, and Mikko Paatelainen scores his first goal for the club in injury time.  On Pie and Bovril, a thread headed “Mark Baxter, you are a fucking disgrace”, starts a furious debate involving a total of 141 postings. 

These were the days....

On 20/05/2019 at 16:40, cowdenbeath said:

I remember Jim from the CFT telling me that Levein had thought all the "scab" stuff would have died down (it was about 15-16 years after the strike) Jim told him he still knew old boys in the area who still went on about the 1926 strike:lol:

Probably the only part of the country that never awarded any freedoms of towns to Winston Churchill after the War was Fife as they remembered his part in trying to break up the General Strike...

Ah, the Great Smokie Pensioner Mystery, when Cowden lost 4-1 at Arbroath! Here's how Helicopter Dreams recorded it for posterity:
The turning point of the game comes in 69 minutes when an Arbroath supporter throws the ball in Mark Baxter’s face as the full back waits to take a throw-in. Baxter loses the plot and hurls the ball back at the fan. The referee immediately sends off the Cowden player. Jay Stein makes it 2-0 for Arbroath. Then, with nine minutes remaining, Iain Mauchlen makes a reckless challenge on John McGlashan and is rightly red-carded. This sees almost all the players on the park congregating to “debate” the matter. McGlashan subs himself off and disappears down the tunnel, where there is an altercation. Paul Watson and Steven Cook score further goals against the nine-man Cowden, and Mikko Paatelainen scores his first goal for the club in injury time.  On Pie and Bovril, a thread headed “Mark Baxter, you are a fucking disgrace”, starts a furious debate involving a total of 141 postings. 
These were the days....

One of the best