Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

Really enjoying these replies, thanks fellas. Certainly helping with my Cowden education... though I'm quite surprised to see John Martin being so well remembered by The Miners! Isn't he supposed to be universally hated outside of Airdrie?!

2 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Really enjoying these replies, thanks fellas. Certainly helping with my Cowden education... though I'm quite surprised to see John Martin being so well remembered by The Miners! Isn't he supposed to be universally hated outside of Airdrie?!

He only spent a season with us but was absolutely brilliant.  A real fans favourite and we'd always sing "Johnny Johnny swing on the bar" which he duly would.   Got promoted that season so he's always going to be favourably looked back on by Cowden fans.

39 minutes ago, Drifter said:

I suppose that was a bit different to the usual chants he received throughout his career!

Has anyone read his book, by the way? Reckon that could be an interesting read

Yeah he was still referred to as "The Scab" by opposition fans even then.

He does feature prominently in the wonderful "A Shot At Glory", alongside Nipper and Jimmy Boyle. Well worth a watch, especially his stutter scene when Duval goes through him. One of the great cinematic experiences of all time!

4 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Yeah he was still referred to as "The Scab" by opposition fans even then.

He does feature prominently in the wonderful "A Shot At Glory", alongside Nipper and Jimmy Boyle. Well worth a watch, especially his stutter scene when Duval goes through him. One of the great cinematic experiences of all time!

I'll get that watched! Nice one

Was there no animosity amongst the Cowden support towards him when he signed?

Edited by Drifter

I'll get that watched! Nice one
Was there no animosity amongst the Cowden support towards him when he signed?

Being a bit of a lefty I was against him at first. Time moves on and you have to move on with it. He was a great keeper for Cowden. That’s how I will remember him.

26 minutes ago, PELE said:

We had Craig Gordon for a little while as well.

That's right, we had him on loan for a wee while. I'd forgotten about that.

I always thought that Jamie Sneddon was a great prospect  when we had him. He is still very young for a keeper and has been getting first team appearances for Partick Thistle so I hope he keeps on progressing.

Just now, Only coo in the village said:

That's right, we had him on loan for a wee while. I'd forgotten about that.

I always thought that Jamie Sneddon was a great prospect  when we had him. He is still very young for a keeper and has been getting first team appearances for Partick Thistle so I hope he keeps on progressing.

Sneddon is excellent.

7 minutes ago, PELE said:

Sneddon is excellent.

Agreed - says a lot about Gary Caldwell as a manager that he decided to loan in Connor Hazard to Partick which dropped Jamie to the bench.  By season end Sneddon was starting.

4 hours ago, onecowden said:

Being a bit of a lefty I was against him at first. Time moves on and you have to move on with it. He was a great keeper for Cowden. That’s how I will remember him.

I remember Jim from the CFT telling me that Levein had thought all the "scab" stuff would have died down (it was about 15-16 years after the strike) Jim told him he still knew old boys in the area who still went on about the 1926 strike:lol:

I remember Jim from the CFT telling me that Levein had thought all the "scab" stuff would have died down (it was about 15-16 years after the strike) Jim told him he still knew old boys in the area who still went on about the 1926 strike:lol:

Yes. Things like that are not easily forgotten.

16 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Now moving on to the full-backs.... who is your favourite/what you consider the finest right-back you have seen playing for the Cows?

Michael Renwick.  All us Cowden fans loved him.

Serious answer - Dean Brett.  We've had some ok right backs over the years - Fraser Mullen, Stephen Swift, Mark Baxter. 

Baxter was a great player and was right back when we won Division 3 in 2005/06.  Most famous for being sent off away to Arbroath for throwing the ball at a fan :lol:

Edited by The Minertaur

23 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Serious answer - Dean Brett.  We've had some ok right backs over the years - Fraser Mullen, Stephen Swift, Mark Baxter. 

Baxter was a great player and was right back when we won Division 3 in 2005/06.  Most famous for being sent off away to Arbroath for throwing the ball at a fan :lol:

For me Baxter. Andy Rolland was supposed to have been some player.

Davy Watt was a steady wee right back when we got promoted in 92.

Always liked Mark Beaky Baxter, solid and decent on the ball.

Best right back I have seen though for us is Dean Brett. Sadly his form dipped abit as we dropped down the leagues before he left under a cloud from gambling issues.

I saw him as a scab first and foremost. Good keeper but that doesn’t make up for it.