Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

Lost for words, scored two class goals and that was it we couldn’t defend to save ourselves we lost every header in our box today from corners and crosses, 3/4 first team regulars in my opinion sitting on the bench whilst we had dross like buchanan and scott attempting to play football

Shite result. Presuming a couple of players had knocks and weren't risked?

The sad thing is that we actually do have quite a decent starting 11 if played. Just drop Buchanan for Swann from our team most weeks and we'd be closer to 4th by miles.

Subs not used

Henvey- scores a good goal last week and has pace

Sheerin- top scorer

Swann- 1 of our most talented players

Subs used (but too late)

Allan- talented ball player with pace

Fraser- our best centre mid and been playing well. Was our MOM for me against Rangers

Mcgurn- probably best keeper in league

Nothing else to add your honour.

2 minutes ago, big al said:

Subs not used

Henvey- scores a good goal last week and has pace

Sheerin- top scorer

Swann- 1 of our most talented players

Subs used (but too late)

Allan- talented ball player with pace

Fraser- our best centre mid and been playing well. Was our MOM for me against Rangers

Mcgurn- probably best keeper in league

Nothing else to add your honour.

Ali

I will answer some of these as best I can  -

Subs not used

Henvey- scores a good goal last week and has pace - Plan to  to come on but keeper injury prevented that.

Sheerin- top scorer - Not fit.

Swann- 1 of our most talented players -  Not sure but suspect looking for a more defensive minded WB

Subs used (but too late)

Allan- talented ball player with pace - Can't argue wit that

Fraser- our best centre mid and been playing well. Was our MOM for me against Rangers -Injured not 100%  trying to spare for Tuesday with added recovery time.

Mcgurn- probably best keeper in league - Lennox excellent last week and picked SPFL team of the week  no reason to drop him based on that & gives MCGurn a rest.

2 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Why was McGurn dropped in the first place?

Today’s team selection was puzzling from afar. Didn’t look to have much balance.

Really puzzled and the season is all but over now. 

Played Lennox las week to see him in first team action a gamble at the time but paid off & justifying his start today performance however well short of last week &  IMHO could have done better with first two goals.

First half we looked good coming forward with Buchanan through the middle off the front two more involved & off a threat than I've seen for a while.

The sussed it and changed second half  where Robbie was pretty much a passenger, & our retention was poor as well as winning little second ball. IMHO there were changes to be made and made sooner Scott OK first half decent playing simple balls second more demanding and not at the races guilty of gifting possession time & time again.

options for me were bring on Harvey take off Scott  * move Malcolm in the middle.  Replace Robbie with Allan to do the same roll but use his greater strength and pace, basically reshaping the same formation. Alternatively Swann for Todd who looks an average CB and moving to a straight back four.

As I say just my own thoughts easy as I don't have ultimate responsibility TBF.

4 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

Played Lennox las week to see him in first team action a gamble at the time but paid off & justifying his start today performance however well short of last week &  IMHO could have done better with first two goals.

First half we looked good coming forward with Buchanan through the middle off the front two more involved & off a threat than I've seen for a while.

The sussed it and changed second half  where Robbie was pretty much a passenger, & our retention was poor as well as winning little second ball. IMHO there were changes to be made and made sooner Scott OK first half decent playing simple balls second more demanding and not at the races guilty of gifting possession time & time again.

options for me were bring on Harvey take off Scott  * move Malcolm in the middle.  Replace Robbie with Allan to do the same roll but use his greater strength and pace, basically reshaping the same formation. Alternatively Swann for Todd who looks an average CB and moving to a straight back four.

As I say just my own thoughts easy as I don't have ultimate responsibility TBF.

Not rocket science !!!! Bollan please read!!!¡!!

I suppose at this time last year and the year before we would have been more than happy at being pissed off with being stuck in mid table. Start of the season I thought we could maybe be in the top six and that's where we will probably end up there or seventh.

There is no way Annan are a better side than us. The reason we lost that game today is purely Bollan's fault. Some (justified) shouts aimed at him today which I'm sure he'll have heard.

Playing a CM left fucking wing back when we have a very talented young player as a natural LWB on the bench is an absolute disgrace. Bringing Martin Scott in from the cold is baffling to say the least and Buchanan as has been the norm, offered nothing the entire game.

As has been said, after the last 2 seasons, we'd have taken a boring mid table season. However we are completely capable of more, and despite Bollan bringing in better players, he's also holding us back with ludicrous starting sides and formations. I'm sure supporters of his previous clubs had the same issues.

21 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

There is no way Annan are a better side than us. The reason we lost that game today is purely Bollan's fault. Some (justified) shouts aimed at him today which I'm sure he'll have heard.

Playing a CM left fucking wing back when we have a very talented young player as a natural LWB on the bench is an absolute disgrace. Bringing Martin Scott in from the cold is baffling to say the least and Buchanan as has been the norm, offered nothing the entire game.

As has been said, after the last 2 seasons, we'd have taken a boring mid table season. However we are completely capable of more, and despite Bollan bringing in better players, he's also holding us back with ludicrous starting sides and formations. I'm sure supporters of his previous clubs had the same issues.

The bizarre bit for me is that we struggle for goals, so we get Henvey in and he looks the part, but we rarely give him any game time and persist with the same front men. I am sure Henvey wishes he had gone elsewhere on loan.

30 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

Although I agree about some of the selection choices with you I would say over the season Annan have been better than us, their not a flair team but they are good at what they do and I would say they deserve the 4th place and a shot at the play offs.

2 hours ago, Blue Oktober said:

Ali

I will answer some of these as best I can  -

Subs not used

Henvey- scores a good goal last week and has pace - Plan to  to come on but keeper injury prevented that.

Sheerin- top scorer - Not fit.

Swann- 1 of our most talented players -  Not sure but suspect looking for a more defensive minded WB

Subs used (but too late)

Allan- talented ball player with pace - Can't argue wit that

Fraser- our best centre mid and been playing well. Was our MOM for me against Rangers -Injured not 100%  trying to spare for Tuesday with added recovery time.

Mcgurn- probably best keeper in league - Lennox excellent last week and picked SPFL team of the week  no reason to drop him based on that & gives MCGurn a rest.

Alan, appreciate your insight and as always honest opinion.

have to agree with some of these points mate, and of course when I post I dont know all the facts from dressing room etc regarding individual situations.

my post though is highlighting a big accumulation of baffling decisions. Forget about Tuesdays game, that means absolutely hee haw now, our seasons over.

we had to win today. If anything, we should have gambled on fitness of best players today and then hope some others could help us beat a far inferior team on Tuesday, not the other way round as we have gone today.

Bollan has been well backed and has brought in players that have been better than we have had. HOWEVER he is far too negative and is highlighted with today’s choices. 

3 centre half’s at home, since when is that our natural formation? 2 of them new to the team and the keeper new aswell. That’s a huge gamble at the heart of the defence, the 1 area that needs as much consistency as possible.

im not going to slag individuals because I’m grateful to any player that comes to us if he tries his best. I just can’t understand the logic of the selections and it’s very frustrating. I am also not alone, there’s nobody who agrees with some of the selections.

1 final point, what is going on with Harvey Swann? It’s disgraceful he is being victimised by the manager. If I was him I would have told Bollan exactly where to go, he is ruining that lad. If Bollan is our manager next season I genuinely hope Swann signs for an opponent and scores the winner. I really do.

8 minutes ago, big al said:

Alan, appreciate your insight and as always honest opinion.

have to agree with some of these points mate, and of course when I post I dont know all the facts from dressing room etc regarding individual situations.

my post though is highlighting a big accumulation of baffling decisions. Forget about Tuesdays game, that means absolutely hee haw now, our seasons over.

we had to win today. If anything, we should have gambled on fitness of best players today and then hope some others could help us beat a far inferior team on Tuesday, not the other way round as we have gone today.

Bollan has been well backed and has brought in players that have been better than we have had. HOWEVER he is far too negative and is highlighted with today’s choices. 

3 centre half’s at home, since when is that our natural formation? 2 of them new to the team and the keeper new aswell. That’s a huge gamble at the heart of the defence, the 1 area that needs as much consistency as possible.

im not going to slag individuals because I’m grateful to any player that comes to us if he tries his best. I just can’t understand the logic of the selections and it’s very frustrating. I am also not alone, there’s nobody who agrees with some of the selections.

1 final point, what is going on with Harvey Swann? It’s disgraceful he is being victimised by the manager. If I was him I would have told Bollan exactly where to go, he is ruining that lad. If Bollan is our manager next season I genuinely hope Swann signs for an opponent and scores the winner. I really do.

Ali

Cheers mate overall we pretty much agree.

Regards Fraser a big gamble & no way could have started.

A 3 at the back agree surprise ok for 45 just about and I guess anticipated the shape Annan would play but 2nd half not working as they adapt and change we didn't mistake IMHO.

Regards Harvey I really don't know & equally frustrating I can only assume there is a reason behind this I am not privy but share your concern signs for another club at our level ok we get comp but end up being turned over on the pitch.

Just now, Blue Oktober said:

Ali

Cheers mate overall we pretty much agree.

Regards Fraser a big gamble & no way could have started.

A 3 at the back agree surprise ok for 45 just about and I guess anticipated the shape Annan would play but 2nd half not working as they adapt and change we didn't mistake IMHO.

Regards Harvey I really don't know & equally frustrating I can only assume there is a reason behind this I am not privy but share your concern signs for another club at our level ok we get comp but end up being turned over on the pitch.

In more just thinking about the lad than us. He must be gutted and wondering what he has to do. He came on against Rangers (only because of an injury) and did really well. Did well at Elgin. Is a natural  for that position, yet can’t get off the bench. He’s 1 of our best players , simple as that.

nobody is saying he’s a world beater but he’s a good young player and deserves better.

i really hope he gets a club where they believe in him.