Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

2 hours ago, Kelheart said:

Yeah all too familiar story mate seen some really good players get hung out to dry by the big clubs who bring in over paid  crap sometimes and don’t get their chance 

must be hard on parents trying to find right teams for their kids to shine at and imo best option is to go local as the big teams just swallow them up and spit them out 

I agree totally bud

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

You don’t know that for sure. Going part time you’ll have to work and you’ll have less time to focus on football. There isn’t a one size fits all method. You’ve got Tierney and Robertson - two polar opposites both playing at a high level. Tierney didn’t need to go out on loan to develop either. 

These kids are going to the big clubs at a young age. Well before they have to think about working.

2 hours ago, PELE said:

These kids are going to the big clubs at a young age. Well before they have to think about working.

So would you rather play for a club with better coaches, staff and facilities or a lower league club where you have a slightly better chance of progressing? We had a great youth set up for years but no one really went on to become even to the level of the Celtic rejects mentioned. 

3 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

So would you rather play for a club with better coaches, staff and facilities or a lower league club where you have a slightly better chance of progressing? We had a great youth set up for years but no one really went on to become even to the level of the Celtic rejects mentioned. 

I would rather be playing league  football at a smaller club. 

Re our old youth set-up. It is not always going to produce top players, but is that because the likes of Celtic were /are hoovering up some of the players you have mentioned instead of them progressing via a small club.

31 minutes ago, PELE said:

Re our old youth set-up. It is not always going to produce top players, but is that because the likes of Celtic were /are hoovering up some of the players you have mentioned instead of them progressing via a small club.

Levein did OK after he left Cowden. Would he have if he’d been at Celtic?

32 minutes ago, PELE said:

The big clubs have always scooped up the best young players happens all over the world.

Just now, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Levein did OK after he left Cowden. Would he have if he’d been at Celtic?

He did but on the other side of the coin if he had the chance to join a big club as a kid would he have done so or would he have still went down the Lochore then Cowden route.

18 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Hadn’t he been out with other clubs before he joined Cowden as a youngster?

Think he may have had a trial with Raith as his brother Paul was signed by them around the same time not 100% sure though. Next time I see him I will try to remember and ask him.

2 hours ago, Kierkegaard said:

We spotted Greg Stewart as an amateur - he's doing pretty well. Of course, we never got a penny for him from Dundee or Birmingham or Aberdeen.

Sure we were entitled to a percentage when he joined Birmingham mind of reading it in the programme at the time.