Cowdenbeath 2018-2019

This is what I said in the match thread for Saturday.  Who'd have thought that the defensive issues would be highlighted again?  Not playing Malcolm also is a huge mistake.

If we start with our best 11 then we've a chance of sneaking a draw here.  If Gary Bollan reads PnB....

Play Talbot at left back
Play Sheerin up top
Go and actually find what our best centre half partnership is and stick with it - Pyper/Scullion/Deas/Marsh

Let's look at our defence so far this league season. These are the 4 players that I think have started each game:

Clyde - 0-2 - Mullen, Marsh, Pyper, Talbot
Annan - 1-2 - Mullen, Marsh, Gilfillan, Swann
Berwick - 4-0 - Mullen, Scullion, Marsh, Swann
Queens Park - 0-0 - Mullen, Marsh, Scullion, Talbot
Peterhead - 2-4 - Mullen, Pyper, Marsh, Talbot
Albion - 1-1 - Mullen, Pyper, Scullion, Deas
Edinburgh - 0-1 - Mullen, Pyper, Marsh, Deas

We've not played the same back 4 in back to back league games this season :lol:  No wonder we're such a shambles at the back.  Pick what the best 4 is Gary and stick with it.  

Edited by The Minertaur

1 hour ago, The Minertaur said:

This is what I said in the match thread for Saturday.  Who'd have thought that the defensive issues would be highlighted again?  Not playing Malcolm also is a huge mistake.

Let's look at our defence so far this league season. These are the 4 players that I think have started each game:

We've not played the same back 4 in back to back league games this season :lol:  No wonder we're such a shambles at the back.  Pick what the best 4 is Gary and stick with it.  

Mullen, Marsh, Deas, Talbot for me. AND Malcom in midfield.

5 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Looks like the key is Scullion - unbeaten with him in the team...

1 hour ago, The_Pit_Owns said:

Looks like the key is Scullion - unbeaten with him in the team...

Personally I'd have Scullion & Deas as CB in certain games or Pyper & Deas  in other. Marsh for me sits in front of either pairing. Left back Jason Talbot or Harvey. If you opt 3-5-2 as from observation may be a better option at times then Pyper, Scullion, Deas with Mullen & Swan Wing Backs. And yes Malcolm starts & plays in the middle.

After today, if Deas is played anywhere other than at centre back in every game for as long as we have him then the manager should be shot. 

Is there any 'coaching' going on at training ? First time I've seen Cowden in the flesh this year and the deficiencies are there in plain view. The game is crying out for the players to have even a modicum of composure on the ball which is treated as if it was a hot potato by just about everybody.  Some of the short range passing was appalling. There is little going on in the midfield and it inevitably  gets hoofed down the park and back to the opposition. I'm not entirely clear what the tactics are supposed to be - Long Ball, Direct, a quick passing game or what ?Doesn't look like there is any convincing  leadership on or off the park. When Fotheringham got sent off he was  bawling at the players from the stand and not in a good way. He needs to show much more discipline. The club are going to get fined again no doubt and there are better things to spend the money on. No wonder the players have little confidence. At least they battled today and looked like they were working for each other but that was a staggeringly poor Stirling side. At least the manager at last picked mostly the side that everybody else bar him could see should be on the park today. Onwards and upwards.

Edited by ronaldincoo

That was a massive 3 points for us at the weekend.  If we could win on Saturday against Elgin (unlikely as I will be attending the match) then we'd be sitting 6th and closer to the promotion play offs than the relegation ones at the end of the first quarter which I'm sure we'd all have taken before the season began.

Who'd have thought though that playing Talbot at left back and putting Deas into the middle would make a difference?

One for Cowden Cowboy - have we had a trialist sent off before? When was the last one? 

I don’t see any reason as to why the rules would prohibit it, it would be very strange if you couldn’t but with the week we have had in Scottish football anything is possible... I guess the issue is clubs won’t want to risk £500 (?) on an unsuccessful appeal for a player that isn’t theirs.  

I don’t see any reason as to why the rules would prohibit it, it would be very strange if you couldn’t but with the week we have had in Scottish football anything is possible... I guess the issue is clubs won’t want to risk £500 (?) on an unsuccessful appeal for a player that isn’t theirs.  
I'm sure its £1000 for an appeal and its paid back if the appeal is successful.

I'm sure its £1000 for an appeal and its paid back if the appeal is successful.

This process has changed for 2018/19 and is now known as the 'Claims' procedure and cost is £500 if premier club, £250 for championship, League 1 or 2, £125 any other clubs. Fee to be paid within 30 days but waived if you win case. Claim has to be made now by 1pm on first working day after game where incident occurred (that is earlier than before), the compliance officer is no longer involved nor do club/player attend a hearing. The club/player make a written submission along with photographic evidence and that is all that is considered by Tribunal. You can appeal in respect of a trialist.

13 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

This process has changed for 2018/19 and is now known as the 'Claims' procedure and cost is £500 if premier club, £250 for championship, League 1 or 2, £125 any other clubs. Fee to be paid within 30 days but waived if you win case. Claim has to be made now by 1pm on first working day after game where incident occurred (that is earlier than before), the compliance officer is no longer involved nor do club/player attend a hearing. The club/player make a written submission along with photographic evidence and that is all that is considered by Tribunal. You can appeal in respect of a trialist.

Glad to see that the price has dropped for us to submit an appeal.  I'd say going by the video that we'd probably lose the appeal as it's not clear than an obvious mistake was made by the ref.

Glad to see that the price has dropped for us to submit an appeal.  I'd say going by the video that we'd probably lose the appeal as it's not clear than an obvious mistake was made by the ref.

Serious Foul Play - A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Endangers the safety would be the tricky part here I think

Thanks for this, had no idea it had changed but good to see the fairer pricing structure in effect.

23 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Serious Foul Play - A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Endangers the safety would be the tricky part here I think

Yeah I doubt we'd win the appeal.  Possibly the camera angle from behind the goal may show it to not be as bad but I doubt it.

Was Saturday the last game he could play for us as a trialist? 

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Yeah I doubt we'd win the appeal.  Possibly the camera angle from behind the goal may show it to not be as bad but I doubt it.

Was Saturday the last game he could play for us as a trialist? 

One of those that looked worse than it was.Don't think the ref had much choice though.

Saw exactly the same tackle on Match of the Day on Saturday. Outcome, a yellow card.